ANTI - CROSSBOW TALK

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wayne

ANTI - CROSSBOW TALK

Post by wayne »

I'am new to crossbows, but not new to archery hunting, like most on this forum, I started bow hunting back in the mid-70's with a bear recurve & bear broadheads.
The post on calling them bolts or arrows concerns me somewhat. Here in Michigan, I've been listening & watching the anti-crossbow'ers. What I feel is that anyone who shoots a bow, & looks at our bolts/arrows knows they basiclly a short arrow.
I have found that most anti-crossbow people around here are: Anti-hunters or the ones who use a new space age compound & hunt in a area of low deer numbers, but will still buy one or more of this states almost endless supply of doe tags & use them. For the last 5 years I've been asking the ones complaining about low deer numbers why they shot a doe. Most of there replys are the same, " We spend all this money in gas & our equipment we are taking something home". Most of the recurve / longbow only hunters, group the compound & crossbow'ers together & mostly keep there opinions with-in there own group.
It seems to me, the real anti-crossbow stuff boils down to anti-hunters or the ones who say it the most, real reason for not liking crossbow hunters is GREED (we might shot there deer/buck).
Maybe along with fighting the lie's about crossbows, we get to heart of there real complaint---- GREED!!!!!!
As for me it's all amout respect for the deer. I will use any weapon our state allow's, that I feel that I can make clean kill with, currently that's a: Single shot 30.06 a: T/C black diamond muzzle loader * And this fall a: Excalibur crossbow. :D
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
Bill T

Re: ANTI - CROSSBOW TALK

Post by Bill T »

You betcha!
It's all about not wanting anyone to hunt "Their" deer in "Their" season. After watching and listening to the elitists and their anti-crossbow crap for 3 decades that's what it all boils down to: greed. If these guys carry it to the illogical extreme they won't even have a season!
In the old days their arguments about shooting too far and killing all the deer distracted from their obvious greed, but today with the magnitude of information available from states like Ga and Va their real motive is pretty clear
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

wv has a permit disable only crossbow card, seems its not anti huntes but traditional archers whch hold up and sandbag crossbow legislation here, soon i hope , will continue to shoot my excal tho damn fine weapon
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

wayne mate, look at australia now w.a... hey these people man they want us all, make no mistake of that. wake up the world for gods sake. frank australia
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
wayne

Post by wayne »

HELLO: With this post, unless I'am misunderstanding 2 of the replys, I am Not defending traditional bow hunters, what I said is that they have grouped us in with the compound user's & dislike both of us.
Here in my area of Michigan, the ones complaining the loudest about crossbow's are the compound users, & That I belive there main motive deep down inside for most of the complaints is not bolts/arrows, that come out of a crossbow, but it's there Greed, they don't want a crossbow user to shot what they think are there deer.
Michigan has just started allowing crossbows for anyone to use during archery season, for the most part. Michigan is a very high hunting pressure state. And i belive most (anti-crossbow'er) around here feel that there are to many hunters & to few deer, so if you get to buggered up to pull back a bow (like me) you should be out of the woods, instead of gettting a few more years in hunting with a crossbow.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I've said this before, but I seen the same argument with the advent of the compound bow back in the 70s. A good percentage of the recurve shooters wanted them banned, or seperate seasons, and on and on...
Today, the new "traditional" archer shoots an $800.00 vertical bow with high-tech cams, drop-away arrow rest, fiber-optic sights, carbon arrows, and mechanical braodheads. And they complain about the crossbow.
At the very least its laughable, at the very worst annoying. But as with the compound controversy, the crossbow will be accepted. The snowball effect we are seeing the past couple years just continues to gain momentum and I beleive it is unstoppable now.
Smart vertical hunters should band with all hunters for the common cause of simply maintaining our right to hunt. But some people are just thick-headed, what can you do but rise above it and take the high road. I'm always of the opinion that common sense prevails most often.
In the Wind.......
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I am from Nova Scotia, Canada. The first year that we were allowed to hunt with a crossbow was only for the regular deer season. The second year was for everything except for hunting deer in the archery season. This year as far as I know from what I am hearing from the grape vine we will be at full inclusion. The DNR is supposed to be announcing a change this month. If it is like every other announcement, it will be just before deer season.
Thanks,
Raymond
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

My two cents for what it's worth.
Here in georgia we have been full inclusion since 03/04, in the beginning i would say greed is the driving motive...they don't want us in the woods with them because were going to kill all THEIR deer. After a few season's go by and the statistics don't back up their mantra that's when you get the elitism and "that's not really archery hunting" crap argument!
When you prove that the sky a'int going to fall and that crossbow's have had a positive impact (more and younger hunter's) that's when they go into "good ole boy mode"
I've been putting up with this for years...as i've said before, nothing makes them madder than the truth!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Year after year more and more states are seeing thorugh the anti-crossbow BS and including crossbows in the season that they rightfully belong - archery.

I've been a crossbow advocate for 9 years now and I have watched each of these states. After the first year of inclusion it becomes Much Ado About Nothing. People quit griping and just go hunting..Oh, a very few will still look at crossbowers with disdain, but they are in a minority..

Truth always wins out,....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
airborne pappy

Post by airborne pappy »

I live in Longueuil Quebec, and I can not shoot in the range that is used by the bow hunter's in the town of Boucherville Quebec I am cnsidered dangerous by the club. :roll: :twisted: :mrgreen:
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

In Quebec i found that to .that we are killing there deer.archery club are looking down at crossbow hunter . if only we can get those anticrossbow to try one .they probably change there view. they are some hope " $$$$$$$$$" the hunting stores start to realize the money potential ,the goverment to, more licences. Georgiaboy is right

Code: Select all

When you prove that the sky a'int going to fall and that crossbow's have had a positive impact (more and younger hunter's) that's when they go into "good ole boy mode" 
it a way to recrute young hunthers and keep old one and some archery club see more members more money .if i am not mistaken it the 3 seasons that we can hunt with a crossbow at archery season . some change take time
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

i am new to this crossbow fight as with other hunters we have seen the same thing when recurves and longbows went compounds and muzzle loaders went to inline.its the same thing.its just sad that we have to fight our fellow hunters to do it! but i am shure the anti's love it. that's my 2 cents
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

I live in the great state of Arkansas where the crossbow has been legal for over 25 plus years; at first, the argument was the crossbow was to easy, there was no work in preparing oneself for the hunting season, just sight it in and go to the woods; and maybe that argument is still basically being fought but for the most part, the hunters here at home (except for an elite few) have accepted the fact that the crossbows and the hunters who use them aren't going away; archery shops who just a few years ago wouldn't even talk to anyone about a crossbow, now are VERY aware that the bulk of their sales comes from crossbows; yes the elder hunters are more prone to use them, but alot of younger hunters and women hunters are latching on to the use of them resulting in more hunters which in turn means a STRONGER voice for hunting that makes it better for ALL hunters regardless of their choice of weapon;

I am 50 years old and very proud of my heritage in hunting; don't care what others think about my choice of weapon and on the same note, I except and respect their choice as well; all of the southern states (as far as I am aware of) have made the crossbow legal and they are the better for it; more sales, more hunters, more license sales, more revenue which means better for all;

Thanks Bill and Ms. Kath for you tiring work and endless effort for not only making the BEST crossbow but making sure that the future of crossbow hunting will be around for along time to come for all to enjoy..God Bless you both........Barry James aka xbowholic
novacam

Post by novacam »

airborne pappy wrote:I live in Longueuil Quebec, and I can not shoot in the range that is used by the bow hunter's in the town of Boucherville Quebec I am cnsidered dangerous by the club. :roll: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Same with me in NS. I've talked with the club president and he is trying to get crossbows in but other members are reluctant. I can go with my compound if I like but I like to shoot my Excal so I don't bother. I avoid that club now and shoot 3d with friends who don't care what I shoot. Someday they might come on up and shoot but I'm becoming indifferent to it. Frustrating but I try not to worry about clubs now, as Raymond said we are allowed in the woods to hunt now and early season might be a reality so my concern with clubs is minor!

One thing that does bother me is the idea that people need to justify why they use a crossbow. From what I read by most of the people on here use a crossbow by choice, not due to age, disability or gender. It is a nice option for hunters who may have age creeping in on them or a disability and want to continue to hunt but most if us use one because we want to I believe.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I know where your coming from.
It's really time this segregation between different groups ended. Clubs, assosiations, hunting seasons, should all be under the one title of "archery", therefore include every type of archery. Crossbow, compound, recurve, and reflex, etc. Its really the only way forward to break the cycle of archery segregation that has been around for way to long. The majority of our clubs here won't accept crossbows, and for all the same antiquated silly reasons we've heard before. Personally I think they should be called "Bow clubs" if they won't allow all forms of archery.
But..... I think its up to us to pave the way and try and change this. Yeah we can just argue the finer points with the anti's, but it'll never change anything or anyone. Sometimes its hard to turn the other cheek when I hear someone putting crossbows down. But to stay polite and talk friendly, offer them a go at an excalibur, and show them its not the "devils weapon" is probably the better option. You'd probably find it would get a few more interested compounders into the crossbow community. Over here there are many people who shoot both. But if the Club president, or the assosiation heads aren't crossbow friendly its just bad luck for a lot of people. We all need to make the effort to educate and show these people the good side of crossbow, without getting caught up in the old arguement. Especially the anti's. Our future really does depend on it.
Even if you're more hunter than target shooter, its the clubs and assosiations who stop the government making stupid desicions concerning us. If them clubs and assosiations don't support any crossbow shooters, then you are an easy target for government legislation, just like in Western Australia. By the time you hear about it coming, its to late .. We need to promote the friendly face of crossbow now !