Equinox penetration

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

arnettjd10

Equinox penetration

Post by arnettjd10 »

I jus got a Excalibur Equinox and am excited to use it this fall. with past experiences with my compound bow ive hit a nice mature buck in the shoulder and barely got any penetration. If i hit a mature buck in the shoulder with my Equinox will i get the same result or will the bolt break his shoulder and pass through? i will be using firebolts with 175 gr slick trick bh. i know its not the best place to hit a deer with a bow, But it happins...
2011 Excalibur Equinox
Shadow Zone Scope
Goldtip Laser II
110 gr brass inserts
Blazer X2
Rage 2 blade
gerald strine

Re: Equinox penetration

Post by gerald strine »

I hunt with this exact set up with aluminum inserts and a standard Excalibur string.
Last season I shot a 5 point at 35 yards the bolt entered behind the shoulder in the lung area and hit the thin part of the shoulder blade on the exit side and punched through for a pass through , however the Fire bolt shattered I found 2 pcs of bolt in the chest cavity the B.H. exited never to be found.
The shoulder blade is very thin in some areas and in the middle creates a very thick ridge I would avoid the shoulder as I am sure you plan to the top of the heart area is my target of choice.
P.S.
Congrats on the bow set up you have a superb set up .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
arnettjd10

Post by arnettjd10 »

ok thanks for the reply. how do you like the 175 grain slick tricks? do they fly like fieldpoints? leave good blood trails? i havent been able to find much info on them.
2011 Excalibur Equinox
Shadow Zone Scope
Goldtip Laser II
110 gr brass inserts
Blazer X2
Rage 2 blade
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I took 2 bucks with them last year and had short recovery's on both less than 80 yards on both good blood on the first deer not so much on the second not the Broad heads fault just the angle of shots the broad head did what it was supposed to cut a nasty 4 blade hole through every thing .
They shoot to center for me but about 1 inch low at 30 yards I practice with them into a sand pit I built in the back yard . I am sticking with them this season they are every thing I want out of a B.H. tough,accurate, worry free, cut a 4 blade whole bigger than the bolt cutters and carry a lot of energy and f.o.c with out the need of brass inserts.
Get some practice with them I bet you will be pleased.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The equinox is a powerhouse & using arrows weighing over 400 grs you can go through a shouder blade. The heavier the arrow the more n better it will penetrate. I use 620 gr arrows with a Snuffer & Spitfires to go through shoulders on a deer or hog.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

You will not have a problem with penetration. :D You own the best. Bloodtrails whats that? You will have them dropping within site my friend.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.