HunterExtreme11

Excalibur phoenix ?

Post by HunterExtreme11 »

What is it capiable of killing?
j.krug

Re: Excalibur phoenix ?

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum! :)

The Phoenix is very capable of killing any North American big game species...moose, bear, dear elk... you name it!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
HunterExtreme11

Thank you!! I was trying to save a few bucks and thought it was a good choice. I still wondering if i should have got the equinox.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

HunterExtreme11 wrote:What is it capiable of killing?
g'day mate, in aussie goats-wild pigs of any size-camals & donkeys mate l'd even try mine at a buff in the northern territry. they are a great bow, dont for a moment under estermate them. the 175 lb's that is, by the way bill.t sent me a p.m a while back saying the 175 lb excaliburs are his favorate crossbows.. :D regards frank
Last edited by blackjack on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

HunterExtreme11 wrote:Thank you!! I was trying to save a few bucks and thought it was a good choice. I still wondering if i should have got the equinox.
The Phoenix will serve you just fine and the animal will be just as dead once your arrow passes through it. Have no regrets and enjoy shooting and hunting with your Phoenix.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

HunterExtreme11 wrote:Thank you!! I was trying to save a few bucks and thought it was a good choice. I still wondering if i should have got the equinox.
mate the equinox is great (awsome) but hard shooting all day long, & hard on strings. but your choice, but what ever excal you choose you'll love it.. :D :D
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
wabi

Post by wabi »

In archery it's the broadhead that does the damage. All the bow has to do is get the arrow to the target with enough force to to push the broadhead through the animal. Yes, the bow IS part of the equation, but the hunter should be very concerned with having the sharpest broadhead possible and putting it where it will inflict quickly fatal hemorrhaging.

Here in Ohio the minimum draw weight is 40# for a longbow (compound or longbow) and 75# for a crossbow. The largest game we have is whitetail deer, but if the game department has determined a 75# crossbow can inflict a fatal wound, I'm sure 175# would be good to use. :lol:

The advantage of a heavier bow is more arrow velocity which can increase "ethical range" a bit, and a bit flatter arrow trajectory making range estimation precision a bit less of a factor. It's important to know the limitations on distance for an ethical shot with the game's reaction time and the arrow's velocity being major factors. I've done the math in the past using a fixed time for the deer to react and variable arrow speed and it came out to something like 2-3 yards increase in ethical shot distance for each 25# increase in crossbow draw weight. If a Vixen would be good at 30 yards, the Exomax might stretch that to 40.

I use a Phoenix and have never felt the need for anything more. I can't remember ever passing a shot where I would have been comfortable trying it if I'd had a heavier bow. The day may come, but I'm willing to take that chance for the advantages I believe the Phoenix offers (ease of cocking and longer string life).

I purchased a 60# crossbow for my son and have done a good bit of target shooting with it. I honestly believe it would be adequate for whitetail after comparing the arrow penetration it gives to my Phoenix.
The range for an ethical shot would be very limited, but even those light 60# limbs will propel an arrow with a surprising amount of energy.
wabi
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

HunterExtreme11 wrote:What is it capiable of killing?
Anything you want it to!!!!! :wink:
Welcome to the forum!!!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
fredbeer

Post by fredbeer »

x2 on what wabi said. BH sharpness and placement are the key. I wouldn't hesitate using my Phoenix on anything in North America.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My personal fave-of the 5 bows I've owned. I like the thumb hole (TH) stock -as in the Vortex/Equinox- but value the ease of cocking and great trigger of my "firebird" (Phoenix). Were it not for that trigger it'd be Ibex hanging there. Same bow with TH stock.
Phoenix 50 yard group, fore end rested on deck rail, no bags, 1.25" diam. target
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
greyhunter

Post by greyhunter »

Own a Vixen (deer hide brown) until I did a camo job on it.Converted to 175 lbs with shims behind the limbs. I could do this as it had the straight riser. It is my favorite, It is the 2005 model. :D
In 2006 this bow came out with the angled riser which you could not attach the shims too. I have this one for sale with all accessories including a soft case. :)
The woods are full of surprises.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

A vixen will kill these with ease so a phoenix is just overkill!Image
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

vixenmaster wrote:A vixen will kill these with ease so a phoenix is just overkill!Image
Almost forgot. :oops:
Then I remembered the Vixen is what Vladimir Putin uses for whales.
Guess the Phoenix might be overkill at that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I wanted the Phoenix, but because of my height I went with the Vixen II and believe me my first shot on a Buck was at 28 yrds. and it blew threw him and stuck in a root 5 yrds past. Phoenix is a Great Choice. By the way that buck only went 30yds. and droped in sight. Welcome to Excalibur. North American made strong to last.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
HunterExtreme11

Thanks everyone for everything you guys been a great help. I love the crossbow.. Shoots great groups at 50 yds unbelieviable...