Hoosiers - Time is running out on the deer proposal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Hoosiers - Time is running out on the deer proposal

Post by Woody Williams »

Time is running out on giving input on the deer proposal....

If you cant make one of the NRC meetings …

…….you can still give input at - http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

It is under the Deer Amendments..

Give your input NOW........

The Administrative Law Judge told me that input received via the NRC website, emails and letters holds as much weight as in person input at the meetings.

The Rule Description

(LSA #11-101) Adds 312 IAC 9-1-5.5 to define crossbow and adds 312 IAC 9-1-7.6 to define ground blind. Amends 312 IAC 9-3-2 which governs general requirements and licenses for hunting deer to include the new nonresident youth deer license, crossbow license, and deer license bundle and specify hunter orange requirements for ground blinds. Amends 312 IAC 9-3-3 governing the use of crossbows, rifles and blinds used while deer hunting. Amends 312 IAC 9-3-4 governing the season dates and bag limits for the special youth deer season, archery season, and special antlerless only season and amends the urban deer zones in Lake and Porter counties. Amends 312 IAC 9-3-8 by opening the firearms season on October 1 on military reserves and national wildlife refuges and adds the new nonresident youth deer licenses.

Rule Text

http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/LSA11-101.deer.pdf

Commonly asked questions regarding the Deer Proposal

What is DNR trying to accomplish with the proposed changes?

The Division of Fish and Wildlife is responsible for managing Indiana's fish and wildlife
populations for all of its citizens and, therefore, we need to manage Indiana's deer population
for everyone. Trends monitored by the DNR over the past 10 years have shown the deer herd
to be growing across the state. In many areas, deer populations exceed the tolerance which
many individuals can accept. Despite years of liberalizing harvest quotas, the herd has still
increased to a point where alternative measures must now be considered. The Division of Fish
and Wildlife has determined that it is important to begin reducing Indiana's deer population in
a strategically targeted manner to more adequately balance the ecological, recreational and
economic needs of all of the citizens of Indiana. The proposal is part of an alternative
management plan for meeting that objective.

The Division of Fish and Wildlife recognizes that modifying regulations is only part of a larger
effort that must be addressed. Simply changing regulations will not achieve our objective.
Although we continue to depend on deer hunters to help us manage our deer herd, we also
believe that landowners will need to be more actively involved in providing hunter access and
encouraging more intensive antlerless harvest on their properties. Likewise, urban
communities will need to recognize the importance of balanced, regulated deer management.

Why was the first proposal removed?

Well over 3,000 comments were received by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and
Natural Resources Commission (NRC) staff shortly after the first rule proposal was preliminarily
adopted. The majority of the comments were opposed to shortening the length of the
traditional firearms season and the 2\day antlerless firearm season in October. As a result, the
NRC, at the November 16, 2010 meeting, decided to un-adopt (withdraw) the original rule
proposal. Members of the NRC then requested DNR develop an alternative proposal.

How did the DNR come up with this proposal?

The proposal was created by staff within the DNR, using historic data gathered for deer
management in this state, feedback from many of the comments received during the initial
proposal and data from surrounding states.

Is the idea here to manage for trophy bucks?

The DNR has never promoted trophy deer management, and this proposal is meant to reduce
the deer herd, not promote trophy deer management.

Why add crossbows to the early archery season?

Crossbows are gaining acceptance in many states. Ohio and Arkansas have recognized
crossbows as legal equipment for over 30 years. Other states, such as Virginia, Michigan,
Pennsylvania, Georgia, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Florida have all expanded or increased
crossbow use in the past 10 years. Crossbows should recruit more hunters to hunting in
October, allowing them a greater opportunity and more days afield to harvest a deer. We
anticipate that this will result in more antlerless deer being harvested prior to when annual
deer\vehicle accident rates peak.

What’s the thinking behind the late antlerless season in late December?

The antlerless season in December will provide an opportunity for hunters wishing to harvest
an additional deer, or those who were not fortunate to take a deer during the regular season,
to go out and enjoy a hunting season when they are likely already on holiday break. It also
allows youths who are off of school to go out hunting with friends and family members when
previous commitments at other times of the year may make that difficult.

The antlerless
season is targeted only at those counties having a bonus antlerless quota of four or more. The
antlerless season should again provide an additive component to the total antlerless harvest
and is part of our targeted deer reduction approach.

Why institute an earn-a-buck regulation for urban deer zones?

The areas classified as urban deer zones tend to be associated with increased levels of conflict
between humans and deer. Earn-a-buck regulations are more restrictive in nature, and focus
more hunting efforts on antlerless deer. By applying more pressure to our female deer in areas
of our highest conflict, we are attempting to control and reduce reproduction in those areas,
with the goal of reducing the deer herd over time. It is part of our approach to address humandeer
conflicts in a targeted manner.

Why create an urban deer zone license?

The urban deer zone license replaces the previously existing extra archery license, which was
intended for urban deer harvests originally. Archery hunters will still be able to purchase two
archery licenses the way they always have. The urban deer zone license should help reduce
confusion as to which license to use when hunting during an urban deer zone season, as well as
help law enforcement officials keep track of which hunters are hunting and which deer are
harvested under the urban deer zone earn-a-buck regulation and which ones are not.

Are all hunters in an urban deer zone subjected to an earn-a-buck regulation?

No, only those hunters who are participating in taking deer on an urban deer zone license.
Archers who begin hunting on or after October 1st with their archery license or bonus antlerless
license are not required to harvest an antlerless deer prior to harvesting a buck. However, any
deer harvested on those licenses counts only towards their state and/or county bag limit.
Archers who begin hunting September 15 or later on an urban deer zone license are required to
harvest one antlerless deer prior to harvesting a buck. These deer do not count towards your
state and/or county bag limit. A hunter may harvest up to 4 additional deer on an urban deer
zone license (4 antlerless deer or 3 antlerless deer/1 antlered deer).

If I shoot an antlerless deer, can I take an extra antlered deer in an urban deer zone?

If you shoot an antlerless deer with an urban deer zone license, you may take an antlered deer
that does not count against your state bag limit in an urban deer zone, provided that you
purchased another urban deer zone license to do so. If you take an antlerless deer with an
archery or bonus antlerless license, you may not take an additional antlered deer in your urban
deer zone.

Why was the new license bundle created?

The new license bundle was created to make it easier and cheaper for multi-season hunters
who harvest or attempt to harvest multiple deer. The package allows for hunters to purchase
the opportunity to take a buck and two does at any time during any season. Individual licenses
will still be available to hunters who only hunt one season or do not wish to harvest multiple
deer.

(WW - The DNR told me that the "license bundle" would be revealed after final adoption)

How will we know if this management plan is successful?

The DNR will be measuring harvest composition, hunter and landowner attitudes, damage
reports received, and the number of deer vehicle collisions over the duration of the adopted
proposal's time frame to determine if it was successful in reducing the deer herd in Indiana.

What happens next?

These proposed changes are only that proposed. They will go before the Natural Resources
Commission (NRC) on January 11. If they are preliminarily adopted at that time, a public
comment period will again open up. The comment period will last for several months.

(WW - The proposal was preliminarily adopted on January 11..)

Comments will be taken by the (NRC) at http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm .

The NRC will then decide whether to fully adopt or reject the current proposal at a later date.

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
OkXbowHunter

Re: Hoosiers - Time is running out on the deer proposal

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Just a thought. I don't know if it does any good, but I just left a comment as a non-resident. Others could do the same. Maybe if they realize how much money they're losing to Ohio due to their favorable crossbow laws, that might change a few minds?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

OkXbowHunter

As the proposal input form on the NRC website points out they do take input from anyone - resident or non-resident.

Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Done deal Woody, hope it helps.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Perhaps I should post a comment against allowing crossbows.
Explaining I'm an Ohio resident, and we need the financial assistance provided by non-resident hunters who drive across the border to use crossbows for deer hunting. :wink:
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

wabi wrote:Perhaps I should post a comment against allowing crossbows.
Explaining I'm an Ohio resident, and we need the financial assistance provided by non-resident hunters who drive across the border to use crossbows for deer hunting. :wink:

That might open a few eyes because it's about money.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

wabi wrote:Perhaps I should post a comment against allowing crossbows.

Leave it to Wabi to use a little reverse psychology.

God one Wabi!
Woody Williams