Equinox help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

da7703

Equinox help

Post by da7703 »

Hi Folks. Newbie here who's been lusting for an Excal for a while. Got an Equinox as a gift, but I just can't handle it. My wonderful family got me the best, not knowing that my 5'6" 135# frame is just not big enough for this beast. The three times I cocked it darn near killed me! Unfortunately bought on ebay and no returns allowed.

So, I love it and really don't want to just sell it. There's a lot of coin packed into this, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I posted it for sale locally for the heck of it, but what about just getting new limbs? Can I just buy new limbs? Would someone trade me new limbs for my new limbs, like a dealer or a private party? When I say new, this hasn't even been shot once :( :( .

A cocking crank is a possibility, but at 40, I was hoping to just keep to a string aid. I had tried the Phoenix and had no problems. Think I could handle the 200# limbs, too..any thoughts would be appreciated!
Deer & beer...that's why arrows and Hop Devil were made.
Cossack

Re: Equinox help

Post by Cossack »

Limbs are the same on all but the target version of Excal. Have a gander at the Phoenix/Ibex (same bow latter has thumbhole stock) or Vixen. List your bow in the classifieds here, perhaps someone wants to trade.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Shorten the rope cocker. I am no where near your height and obviously arm reach and I can easily cock mine. :D
The difference between all of the bows is the stroke and shortening the rope cocker will make all the difference.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
FLA-XBOW

Post by FLA-XBOW »

The rope cocker that comes with it should already be really short, mine was atleast, dont think it could be shorter and still be able to use it
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
Boo

Post by Boo »

Any new rope cocker that I've bought was long enough for a gorilla. I've shortened mine so when the hooks are engaged on the string it lifts the string a few to several inches depending on which bow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
roly

Post by roly »

I shortened my rope so that I have to pull my string back 3 or 4 inches by hand to get the hooks on

It's worth a try
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

after you shorten your rope cocker when you cock your bow if you are right handed put your left foot in the sturip and left handed use your right foot see if that helps you. :D
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

As said before,shorten the rope cocker til you have to lift the string several inches to get the cocker hooked,that is easy. Now cocking the bow you wont have to pull up nearly as far.And besides,after a few hundred shots your arms will have stretched to the point where you can do all this without even bending over.I am not very tall either and I can manage it with the rope shortened,but it is hard to find those 16 1/2-44 dress shirts!!
strum

Post by strum »

Im with the guys on this one you should be able to cocok it with the rope cocker,,but it not you can get a cranckaroo.
if your in the states talk to Dan Miller he may be able to trade your rail for a shorter one..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
da7703

Post by da7703 »

Sorry..guess I should have mentioned I already shortened the rock cocking aid. I put another knot about 2" down on each side. I tried shorter and have to struggle too much pulling the string to get the second hook on.

With the 2" knots, after I put the right side on, I have to pull up a good ways on the left side to get the other hook on...didn't measure it, but guessing 5-6". That right there is a bit of a bear for me.

I had to move to a CB cause I have a bum right shoulder, so I've want to make sure I don't have any issues with that. I was able to cock it a few times last night, but it is work. This morning it dawned on me that it was probably the length of the power stroke that was the issue; I think that's what I'm hearing.

Someone mentioned calling Danny, so maybe I'll do that and see what he says. Thanks for the suggestions, and if have you more, I'm all ears!

Maybe I'll try elevator shoes!!!
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

This guy only weighs 135lbs hes probably pulling more then his weight with the strings shortened. Post it here for sale I bet it will go fast and since it basically brand new you should not loose much money and even if you do you should still have enough to get another smaller excal.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
da7703

Post by da7703 »

This guy only weighs 135lbs hes probably pulling more then his weight with the strings shortened.
Sure feels like it...I cocked it again when I got home earlier. It's not like I can't do it. I'm debating because I figure after I sight it in, I'll only have to cock it once every hunting day. Target shooting will probably wear me quicker, but that I can do at my own pace. Guess I'm going back and forth.

I'm an overthinker, and with the season so close (Sept. 17th), I want to make sure I'm ready to hunt. Thanks for all the comments, folks. I'll throw it up in the classifieds and see what happens.
Last edited by da7703 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

What you need is a c2 crank I own the Equinox also and I am 5'4 140 lbs and have no problems with the crank it works great very easy and fast once you use it a few times .
My 12 year old daughter can cock the bow with the crank and she is very small framed.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
da7703

Post by da7703 »

Yeah, the cocking crank is an option. Talking to strum, I think I'm going to shoot this a few times on Sunday and see how it goes. If I'm unsure after that, I'll call Danny Miller and see about trading rails...I hear he works the triggers like butta, too.

If it goes well enough, I'll keep it and if I need a crank some years down the road, I'll pony up for one. I came up with a way to attach the second string hook that's easier and with my boots on, it's a bit better to cock. I'll give it a go and see what shakes out.

Thanks for all the great comments...I feel like I'm whining 'cause I got the best CB. :roll: :roll:
da7703

Post by da7703 »

Got my technique worked out, and keeping this bad boy. After I shortened the rope, getting the string aid on the serving was a chore, but I got that figured out, too.

Can tell my back muscles will be growing, but that's a good thing. Thanks again to all the comments telling me to keep at it. Got my bow, got my BH's on the way, got my tags...c'mon 9/17!!

Thanks again to y'all.

~Dave