Be nice to see pic or story of your biggest deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

denisdendenis

Be nice to see pic or story of your biggest deer

Post by denisdendenis »

Was thinking ...hunthing season comming soon ,be nice see 1 pic of your biggest deer.shoot with gun or crossbow and your story

Year 1986 - frist weekend for deer hunting gun season,one of my friend was walking across the mountain to meet us .Me and a other friend was waiting .lucky me ,saw the buck for the frist time coming down the gully .was hunting from the ground ,the buck was looking behin him , and coming down the gully
1 shoot deer still walking 2 -3-4 deer just lay down and expired ,that was my frist buck and biggest one... still trying to beat it...
ps did hit the buck 4 time
Denis
Last edited by denisdendenis on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
bigbuckonly1

Re: Be nice to see pic of your biggest deer

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Super nice deer- congrats.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
vixenmaster

Re: Be nice to see pic or story of your biggest deer

Post by vixenmaster »

1982 23 yd shot 45 yd recovery 10 pt
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

vixenmaster wrote:1982 23 yd shot 45 yd recovery 10 pt
Very nice! Did you take it with an xbow?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Shot this one back in the late 80's in the Arkansas Ozarks. There was a piece of NF land that butted up to 600+ acres that the owner didn't let anyone hunt except his Son. His Son only hunted weekends, so there was very little pressure on the Deer and it seemed once gun season started, that's where all the Deer headed.

On the second week of the Gun Season, I slipped into an old permanent stand watching a patch of thick cedars the deer used to get back to that private property. I figured if any Buck was out on the NF land, he'd used those cedars to get back to the safety of the private land. (otherwise they'd have to run the gamut of open pastures and orange clad hunters!)

Sure enough, about 30 minutes after legal shooting light, this old boy came along grunting with his nose to the ground. Apparently cold trailing a hot doe. My .308 at 25 yards ended his night of romance.

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

My biggest buck managed to get away from me. I ended up shooting my thumb with the string rather than shooting well on him.... No pic of the deer I'm afraid, but I do have a harvest pic of my thumb if Interested :mrgreen:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

one shot scott wrote:My biggest buck managed to get away from me. I ended up shooting my thumb with the string rather than shooting well on him.... No pic of the deer I'm afraid, but I do have a harvest pic of my thumb if Interested :mrgreen:

that's ONE SHOT you never forgot! :shock: SORRY BUDDY i just could not pass it up :lol: :lol: :lol:
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

one shot scott wrote:My biggest buck managed to get away from me. I ended up shooting my thumb with the string rather than shooting well on him.... No pic of the deer I'm afraid, but I do have a harvest pic of my thumb if Interested :mrgreen:
All bet... you will never forget that buck .do you recall your misaventure in slow motion :?: :mrgreen: :lol:
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

That buck hung around my stand literally 3 feet from the base of the tree I was in for what seemed like an eternity. I couldn't cock the bow for another shot and I couldn't yell out in pain for fear of scaring him away and alerting the does that were also around. I was Just praying for a second shot. I almost thought about jumping on his back to get it over with for both of us. Must have been half an hour when he walked far enough away that I could cock my bow but by that time it was too dark.
I don't know how much my thumb threw off my shot. When he was three feet from me I could see the blood pouring out of him. Looked like a sure thing. Robo-buck I guess.. Took that shot last fall and just last week I did another search in creeks nearby since water levels have dropped. I think robo-buck is still kicking.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

OkXbowHunter wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:1982 23 yd shot 45 yd recovery 10 pt
Very nice! Did you take it with an xbow?
No i shot him with my 243, i was 25' up in a pine when he came easing up the ridge to me. 278 lbs on the hoof & 226 field dressed/ Had over 5" bases
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

wow, those are nice bucks, congrats.. well mine isn't nearly as big, but it's a trophy in my mind...here it goes.

mine was shot back in 2004, my first year deer hunting, first year bowhunting and my 5th day in stand. i had my treestand set up in a nice spot where deer travelled from the back of the property to the field edge to feed on the crops or the acorns. it was a cool morning, heard some deer that day walking around but nothing in range. none the less, it was exciting for a new hunter. i sat there, eye's looking everywhere for a deer in range, my old old Darton 45MX compound hanging on it's limb. i have no idea, to this day, how i didn't notice but there were 3 or 4 doe's to my left. they must have either spotted me, smelled me or something, because all i saw were white tails everywhere.. i tried calling them back , but no luck. hung my bow back on it's hanger and sat down, heart beating a mile a minute looking for another straggler to walk by.. about 5 minutes go by, and for some reason god only knows why, i turn slowly to my left and look behind my treestand and all i saw was rack!! eyes got big as saucers, heart nearly jumped out of my chest!! i slowly got up, picked up my Darton, attached my release and drew. i swear to god he stood there and watched me draw and everything, put his head down and kept walking to me.. he stopped @ 14 yards perfect broadside and i let the arrow fly.. CRACK.. i went blank.. all i remember was the deer running, a ton of noise and that's it.. i literally couldn't move, couldn't sit, couldn't talk and sure as heck couldn't stop my heart from pounding.. got on the walkie talkie and told my dad " holy crap, i think i just shot my first deer.."... dad" what was it?"... me " a buck, a nice buck".. dad said he'd be there in a minute. 15 minutes go by and i'm still in my dang tree... " can't get down, i can't stop shaking".. mom and dad just laughed at me.. " you sounded like you were talking chinese you were talking so fast"..lol.. they calmed me down, i got down from the tree. couple minutes later, mom found the blood trail and it was like someone took a 5 gallon bucket of red paint and poured it on the ground, nice 9 pt... he ran about 25 yards and fell... perfect heart shot.. i'll never ever forget that day.. i've been deer hunting with a bow for 7 years this year and i have been lucky to take 5 deer.

Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I moved to a new house in the country in '94. Lots of deer running around but I wasn't really a deer hunter. After a couple of years of seeing nice bucks run through my yard during rut I decided to try for one. I got a disability permit and bought an Exocet in '97. I hunted right behind my house on my 6 acre plot. Turns out my property is right on a main travel corridor along the creek. On Nov.8 or 9 I was out about 8 am and 4 good bucks came my way. All 4 were shooters and the biggest one was in the lead. He spotted me from 40 yds. away but wasn't afraid. I had the wind and good camo. He was curious and kept coming closer until he stopped at 15 yds., quartering toward me. No shot at the vitals so I shot him in the neck. :shock: He turned and ran across a picked bean field and I watched him go down 135 yds. away. I got lucky and slipped the arrow through to his lung, but doubt I'd take a high risk neck shot again. This was only the second deer I'd ever killed, first one with a bow, and my first buck. Now, it's 14 yrs. later and I'm still trying to top this one. :wink: He's an 11 point, dressed at 200 lbs. and scored 137...enough to get me in the state record book for archery. Gary
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

Code: Select all

think i just shot my first deer.."... dad" what was it?"... me " a buck, a nice buck".. dad said he'd be there in a minute. 15 minutes go by and i'm still in my dang tree... " can't get down, i can't stop shaking".. mom and dad just laughed at me.. " you sounded like you were talking chinese you were talking 
x bowrook ... yepp !!! the frist one is always special ,i am sure that your mom and dad was so proud of you that day
ps
do not need to be a huge buck to be the biggest for you could even be a doe
Last edited by denisdendenis on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

Gary m ....
Turns out my property is right on a main travel corridor along the creek. On Nov.8 or 9 I was out about 8 am and 4 good bucks came my way.

nice buck ... travel corridor is one of the key to get the big one ,you did your home work and you had a good result :D
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
da7703

Post by da7703 »

At 39 I decided to start hunting last year. Don't know why I wait so long; I had a bow about 15 years earlier and someone was supposed to "mentor" me. They didn't; I moved; the bow was sold.

1 mile from work is a State Park, and yearly they have an archery hunt that has the longest season in the state. I went in on the first day of season..green as can be, but proficient with my vert (within reason). What a trip! Couldn't enter until 5am, which was later than I wanted, but not much you can do. I had scouted the area and had a tree picked out. Luckily, someone (only 5 hunters in the park at any one time...about 100 acres) had my tree picked out, too and had put a reflector in it. I get there and it's snort city...I had never heard that before in my life...it was 10 yrds away and keep going all the while I struggled getting my hang-on up the tree. Finally got up there, watching my watch, and it turned game time.

Oh..but wait...aren't you supposed to have your hunting license on you? Yup...newbie left it in the car. So..as I climbed down and went back to the car I pretty much spooked 9 deer going and coming. LESSON LEARNED!! The more important lesson was that I took stock of their location, where they were hanging out. Hunted all day, dawn to dusk, but no luck...though I did undershoot one doe (on purpose...she was about 40-45 yrds..too long for a newbie), just to say I got a shot off my first day ever :mrgreen: .

My third day hunting, I go to the spot where the deer had been hanging, a nice little corridor. The tree I picked had a branch about 16' up that I felt I could stand on, so I didn't take my hang on. It's was Sept. 23rd, humid and about 65* that morning...sweating like a pig! I got up the tree, and standing there was pretty damn uncomfortable. Since I have to be at work by 8, though, it was only about 1.5 hrs that I had to put up with it. Game time is on, and I'm standing, scanning, and hoping. Five minutes to seven, and I look down to see a doe had come in from my left...just meandering along, browsing. First, I was surprised at how quietly she came along. It was like, I just looked down and she was there. I was already holding my bow because out on the branch I didn't want to risk having to reach around for it. I had two shooting lanes, one on the left and one on the right...the branch I was standing on separated the two. She was already moving into the branch and had no clue I was there. I drew and held, getting ready to loose once she came into the right lane. And...she stopped. She kept browsing, but I couldn't get an angle on her...she was almost out of the lane and quartered towards me. After an eternity, she started moving along again. As she crossed the branch, I pulled back again and held again...she's taking her time! Finally, she strolls through into the right lane and stops, broadside @ about 18~20 yrds. I put the pin on the spot and released. She jumped about 5' in the air and took off circling back around my tree to the right. I heard her crash through the woods, then, where she should have crossed the dirt road, it went silent.

Since she had circled behind me, I felt it was OK to get down, check the POI and see if I could see any blood. I got down and took my sticks off the tree and went out and found my arrow. Nice frothy blood, so I felt pretty good abut the shot. I figured I'd walk back to the dirt road and look for blood on the other side. I never even did look for a trail, since the road was only 15 yards behind my tree. I followed what I thought was her path, as I got a real good view up in the tree. I get 5' from the edge of the road, and she was piled up in the brush. I took a look at the exit wound and figured that when I heard the sound of her running stop (appx. 20 seconds after impact), she was already dead. She wasn't the biggest, but I haven't bought beef all year long, and still have about 8-10#'s left in the freeze. Just had some brisket yesterday!!

Gutting for the first time was fun, but I rushed it, as everything I read said to do it chop-chop, plus it was so warm out. Next deer, I'll know I have plenty of time to do it right, and won't nick the entrails, as I did with this one. No biggie, just a small spot easily cleaned out.

Anyway, I call the guys at work to come with the pickup truck...plus called a few of the folks that said, "Dave, what do you think you're just going to take up hunting, walk out into the woods, and bag a deer? Folks hunt for 20 years and never even take a shot with a gun, let alone shoot an arrow!", just to let them know what happened. 8)

Got her back to work, and another hunter helped me through my first skinning and quartering. Put the pieces in the spare fridge at work, took it home and butchered it myself over the next 3 days. What a whole lotta satisfying work!

Then..my second time back in the woods, and I did my shoulder in climbing down from a tree. Didn't hunt the rest of the year; I kept waiting for it to heal, but it never happened. I have an MRI coming up, but decided I wasn't not hunting and came into the Excal fold! I'm debating ground hunting (I did some spot and stalks during the 2 previous days I went out, but without a range finder and the confidence to shoot past 30 yrds, I passed up shots I'd have taken with an Xbow, assuming confidence in my form), or using my tree saddle, which I only used the day I hurt my shoulder. I think I had overdone it with shooting and bumping up the poundage on my bow which made my shoulder ripe for a strain/tear/whatever. I think I'll be ok climbing, since I've limited the stress...of course, let's see what the Dr. says.....

Last edited by da7703 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deer & beer...that's why arrows and Hop Devil were made.