might be some skinny deer this fall

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

might be some skinny deer this fall

Post by wabi »

I usually start feeding this time of year and get/keep the deer coming to the feeder by keeping it full from August 'till whenever I get a few deer in the freezer.

This year the feeding may have to slow down. :shock:
Stopped to get 100# of corn this morning and ended up hauling 50# to the feeder instead. Had $20.00 in my pocket and it wasn't enough for 100#! They said it's $10.49/bag (50#) today, but will probably go up in price soon.
I'm going to shop around and see if I can find any better prices, but that feed mill is usually lower than the others in the county.
wabi
new2xbow

Re: might be some skinny deer this fall

Post by new2xbow »

Prices are crazy here too, luckily most of my stands are right next to white oaks and i have seeral areas where i can rake acorns as well to put into tube feeders.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

wabi, we see the same thing here.... yesterday i seen a walmart add that had 50# for $9 and change :shock:
today i stopped by our local farmers co-op and they will have feed corn for
$15 per 150# quantities only
i reserved 450# when it comes in this week, should get me by until 10 days before open'n bow :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have been buying from 2 to 4 bags of corn since Jan. The cost has doubled & $40 fer corn don't come too easy fer us. Ours are all fat n happy as are the squirrels
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Corn prices are way up . A local TSC store had shelled corn for over $12 / bag . That is one expensive bag :lol Old crop corn is going for around $7.50 per bushel ( which is 56 pounds dry --less than 16 % moisture ) in my area of Ontario.
Last edited by Farmer on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

The Wal-Mart where I was buying it for $5.50 for 40# last year now has it for $8.47. Haven't stopped at the feed store to check them yet. Last year they beat most places by having it for $6.49 for 50#.

And this drought we're having isn't going to make things any better!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

We don't buy corn but we do buy oil sunflower seeds for the birds. We feed all year around. The price of sunflower seeds has also gone crazy. We used to get a #40 bag for $12-$15. Now they are over $20. If it goes much higher I may have to grow my own. Gary
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

It's all in the fuel to plant, harvest, then move it to the crooks whom we buy from, southern states, wal-mart around here and a few mom/pop who aren't going to stay open much longer, pure greed :x

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Bigtime

Post by Bigtime »

I've been paying $7.50 for a 100 pound bag. I picked up 10 bags on Saturday which usually gets me through bow and muzzleloader season.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Fortunately our crops are good. Great beans hereabouts as well as corn. Deer have left my food plot out back for greener pastures. I don't have to resort to corn; besides, baiting is illegal here. Seems all feed products are up. The black oily sun flower seeds not sell for close to $25 per #50. That's more than double last years price. Farm income is said to rise 20% this yr. About time for them, too bad for us.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Been killing skinny deer for 30 years. I just have to take two or three in order to get the same amount of meat you guys up north get in one deer.

They don't allow us to have baited deer here in Georgia or Virginia either. I just sit under the apple trees and whistle dixie . . .they come. :P
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I suggest some scouting finding a pinch point between the bedding and feeding areas and set up shop you will not need the feed and with the money you save you can buy more bolts :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

sumner4991 wrote:Been killing skinny deer for 30 years. I just have to take two or three in order to get the same amount of meat you guys up north get in one deer.

They don't allow us to have baited deer here in Georgia or Virginia either. I just sit under the apple trees and whistle dixie . . .they come. :P
thats my thought... we can feed them up to 10days before season opens...
never hunt on bait !!!!!! you will loose every thing you own if caught !!!
been that way for many, many years. :D

ours is small too...... that just makes you more ofa better shot :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I checked around today and found corn for a little less ($9.25/50# bag) so I guess I'll keep the feeder filled at least until I have a chance to put one or two deer in the freezer.

Usually only does and young bucks actually feed during legal hunting hours.

The does do attract bucks to the area as the rut nears, though. I've seen many bucks come close enough to scent check the area, but they rarely actually eat any corn. The exception is after the rut, but that's usually only confirmed by my game cam and is almost always nocturnal.

Not the way to hunt big bucks, but a good way to get some meat for the freezer and legal here in Ohio. :D
wabi
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

A 25kg bag of crack corn around here goes for almost $20.00 a bag. If I'm lucky they might get one bag this year if they start coming around. A bin of culled carrots costs $25.00 which gives you almost sixteen 50 lb bags of carrots, and then a bin of drop apples is another $25.00 then you need to add on about $75.00 to $100.00 to go and get them. This year I may have to scrounge around the old apple trees in my local village to try and get some deer feed. Time will tell.
Raymond

One way or the other I need to get some meat in the freezer this year because last year was a complete bust for me. I sure hope things start looking up better for this year. The tracks in the mud don't taste very good. And this year there is no tracks so far. Maybe I should take my four wheeler and do some riding around down the end of our road where the dear are hanging out. Maybe that might stir them up. What does any of you think about that? Will it help do you think? Since I was sick my memory and my knowledge has been affected. Somethings I can remember and others I cannot. If the DNR NS allows us to go hunting in the Early Archery Season I can go and hide in the bushes down at the end of our road where the deer tend to hang out in the early summer months and early fall months. If they do not allow us to go I am going anyway. Screw them I need some meat in the house, so to heck with them, :lol: :lol: :lol: .