Post by vixenmaster »

I use & prefer tree stands of all types including tripod sets
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gendoc

Re: ground blind or tree stand???

Post by gendoc »

G Spot wrote:
I have a friend with a small bush that is having a lot of problems with deer destroying everything so a few of the guys I go rifle hunting with and I are going to try to take care of the problem for him! He will not allow guns on his property but crossbows are OK.
G, sounds like you fell into a gold mine of excitement !!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Neither, actually. Ghillie suit or my leaf suit.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I use everything but hooks and saddle tried them yrs ago, it depends on which property I'm hunting, no matter which method you use make it work for you, always use the wind to your favor, for it's your worst prob no matter up a tree or on the ground.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

Depends. While all the greens are still on the trees before winter when they die off, it makes it hard to get high in the tree because if you get to high you won't be able to see much. When all the green is off the trees, you can get alot higher && see a whole lot more than you would sitting on the ground. I love that feeling you get in the tree when you look way out there and see bits a peices of that deer or hog comming in.
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

[quote="oldfart Missouri"]I favor a tree stand first. It lets me smoke my cig.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has that problem. But if you play the wind right it really doesn't matter. I have had to lay one down on more than one occassion in order to shoot deer.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

My first preference is a tree stand, but I'll be hunting more out of a ground blind this coming season. First off, QueenBee has her hunting license now and for her first season we'll be hunting side by side, but she wants to keep her feet firmly planted on the ground. Secondly, I've grown tired of freezing up in a tree on breezy late-season days. Lastly, We've discovered that ground blinds work!

Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

G Spot I have a portable ground blind you are welcome to use if it will help you out at all. Big enuff for one fellow with a crossbow. Let me know.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I use both, a Hub ground blind and Summit Ultimate Viper. At 62 I'm getting less comfortable climbing and the Viper gets really heavy on a long hike, but I do like seeing a long way. The ground blind lets me take every thing I could possibly want or need with me.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

bugs wrote:I prefer a stand for the view and I have seen more deer from it. I find I get bored in a blind because the view is limited (especially early in the season)
Good point!

Although I have a an Ameristep Doghouse blind, I haven't used it much for that reason. The last time I did use it, I emerged from my blind only to discover 3 deer standing just out of my field of view. This season I'm going to be extra selective in regard to where I set up my Doghouse. Deer have a bad habit of not following "The Plan"; they show up in the darnest places and tent-style blinds aren't the most accomodating in this regard.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
loneolf223

Post by loneolf223 »

j.krug wrote:G Spot I have a portable ground blind you are welcome to use if it will help you out at all. Big enuff for one fellow with a crossbow. Let me know.
Hey I just signed up because I saw you're from my area..i'm from LaSalle. I was wondering if you know anywhere around the area where I could deer hunt, maybe just a general area where people would let me. (For next year obviously..) I'm 20 now and I never went..I have a crossbow now also I just have no place to use it. Thanks!
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

theoldarcher wrote:
oldfart Missouri wrote:I favor a tree stand first. It lets me smoke my cig.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has that problem. But if you play the wind right it really doesn't matter. I have had to lay one down on more than one occassion in order to shoot deer.
Guilty myself, same prob of had to waste more than one cig to shoot a deer. One tip keep a can of yer fav buck bomb handy (I prefer the new acorn rage).
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
oldfart Missouri

Post by oldfart Missouri »

oldarcher ; I could not tell you how many deer I have shot ( rifle ) with a cig , hanging out of my mouth, and look over to see one standing 30 yrd away.... 35 rem ,,,,, went bang.... and this is in a tree stand or on tha ground. Shot a 10 pt 15 yrds from the ground opening day alst year............ Mr ninpointer; nice buck !!!!!!! Glenn