spitfire broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

arrowsender

spitfire broadheads

Post by arrowsender »

was wondering if anyone else had this issue. shot a spitfire from a vortex
through an ordinary piece of paper to see if the blades would stay put. they didn't. one was fully deployed and one was partially open. i've heard about the rubber band and o-ring trick, but i'm unsure what size to get. what do i need to keep these things closed until impact? thanks
sumner4991

Re: spitfire broadheads

Post by sumner4991 »

I use dental elastics on all my mechanicals to keep them closed during flight. The dental elastics are made much more consistant than anything else you can use.

Any teenager with braces has way more than they will use. I've never ordered any, but, I have put two kids into and out of braces . . .the elastics were the only thing I got for my $10,000.

I like the Spitfires, but, the internal spring is going to wear out eventually. Same goes for all those spring loaded and cam loaded blades. Which is part of the reason I like the simple over the top lever action mechanicals.

Dental elastics . . .they work great.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
arrowsender

Post by arrowsender »

never thought of that one. i'll try to find some in town, if not i'll rob my nephew for a few! lol. thanks
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

arrowsender wrote:if not i'll rob my nephew for a few! lol. thanks
Go over for a visit and ask to use the bathroom . . .first drawer on the right facing the counter . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

[quote="sumner4991"]I've never ordered any, but, I have put two kids into and out of braces . . .the elastics were the only thing I got for my $10,000.[quote]

Been there, done that twice!! Who'da thought a few elastics would ever be my most exspensive archery equipment purchase!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I've been shooting spitfires for about 10 years and have never had a problem. I used regular 100gr out of my ibex last year and took four critter's. I like to experiment with different mechanical heads but i alway's find myself coming back to the spitfire's. Most dependable mechanical head ever manufactured in my opinion.
Were you using regular spitfires or the new x-bow version? The x-bow head is supposed to have a stronger spring in them.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I used a 100gr 3 blade spitfire on this deer at 10yds from my ladder stand.I just shoot'em right out of the pkg.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
arrowsender

Post by arrowsender »

georgiaboy wrote:I've been shooting spitfires for about 10 years and have never had a problem. I used regular 100gr out of my ibex last year and took four critter's. I like to experiment with different mechanical heads but i alway's find myself coming back to the spitfire's. Most dependable mechanical head ever manufactured in my opinion.
Were you using regular spitfires or the new x-bow version? The x-bow head is supposed to have a stronger spring in them.
just regular 'ol spitfires.
arrowsender

Post by arrowsender »

sumner4991 wrote:
arrowsender wrote:if not i'll rob my nephew for a few! lol. thanks
Go over for a visit and ask to use the bathroom . . .first drawer on the right facing the counter . . .
lol.
arrowsender

Post by arrowsender »

thanks everyone for the tips. good huntin