Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

would you shoot a weanling (fawn)

yes - it makes for good eating and doesn't hurt the herd's survival rates
45%
yes - but I'd want to make sure it was a doe
7%
no - only a starving person would even think of it
21%
no - I wouldn't, but I have no problem with someone else killing one.
27%

Total votes: 96

wabi

Re: POLL - are fawns fair game?

Post by wabi »

Wayne,
Sometimes I'm not great at explaining things, but what I mean is a fawn that is weaned and has lost it's spots. Many of them still hang out together and with mom, but they are capable of survival on their own.

Looks like we're in an even split on yes or no for taking one so far. :lol:
wabi
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

I have no problem taking a fawn as long as the animal is going to be processed with no waste. :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
mattones

Post by mattones »

I have been thinking this for about a week now.

I have yet to harvest a deer in the 2 season of hunting deer.

I have been catching a doe and fawn on cam alot during daylight hours. and cant say I would or wont shoot the fawn if it came into the opening.

if it had spots then NO. The guys razz me at work about not harvesting a deer yet but i wont shoot a fawn with spots to say I shot a deer. I would rather enjoy the watch :)
08 Diamond Justice
2015 Micro 335 -Custom Flemish String-Lumonzombies
wayne

Post by wayne »

[quote="wabi"]Wayne,
Sometimes I'm not great at explaining things, but what I mean is a fawn that is weaned and has lost it's spots. Many of them still hang out together and with mom, but they are capable of survival on their own.

wabi :
Ya, I thought thats what you were meaning, I just figured the post was fer fun, & I play along :lol: :lol: :lol:
But.... I could not knowingly shoot a fawn, and I really can't tell ya why :? When they walk by I think of how tender the meat would be....but I just can't pull the trigger........I try to... but the finger just won't do it :lol: :lol: :lol: ....... but that same finger would work, if you put 3 inches of horn on top of the head, & down it comes :lol: :lol: :lol: ....... When we had the good deer numbers in the past... that finger also work fine on doe's ..... Just not on fawns, I tried talking to that finger :wink: But it just won't listen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup spots must be gone fer me & usually late season Nov.-Dec. I have so many deer here on our place, i haven't even shot one so far.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
masboy

Post by masboy »

No fawns for me too many other deer around.I shoot only young deer when it turns cold too eat no old bucks go in my freezer I give them away .I enjoy watching the young ones play when hunting there like a bunch of little kids chasing each other around.the older I get the more watching I do and less shooting.and enjoy my hunting more.
abbyfireguy

Post by abbyfireguy »

No fawns for me. I think out here in the west, you would be looked down on severely for shooting a fawn.
I personally never would anyway, just don't think its very sporting as almost any fawn I have ever seen never thought I was a threat until Mama told them to run.
No thrill for me to shoot a fawn and get 30 pounds of meat either.
That's just me opinion,don't shoot me for it.. :mrgreen:
Excalibur Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Boo custom string with cat whiskers
Boo trigger job
Big John magic bolts(Orange tigers)
IAFF Local #18 Vancouver(now retired)
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

I am a hunter, first and foremost. I have yet to find an antler recipe that renders them palatable. Thus, I am a meat hunter.

However, am I just a meat hunter? Do I deer hunt for solely the meat? Absolutely not! There is no such thing as cheap deer meat when you add in fees, tags, trips, fuel, gear, weaponry, accessories and on and on and on. The price per pound of venison would absolutely boggle your mind were you to ever compute it...and you thought gas was high! :lol: It is a heck of a lot cheaper to skip on down to Engels grocery and scarf up filet mignon than it is to try to fill a freezer with deer meat.

But, it is not just the meat I hunt for; then what is the motivation? Love. Is there anything more enjoyable than walking through the frosty fields on your way to your favorite spot on a winter's morn? Is there anything more radiant than the sunshine piercing the fall leaves that still tinge green as they and you sway in unison upon the treestand overlooking an active trail? Is there anything more satisfying than after spending a seeming lifetime following the beacon of a flashlight in the dark you pick up a splash of red here...then there...and over yonder....and on and on until they mark the last living trek of so noble a creature that you slipped an arrow into the heart of?

I am a hunter - NOT a killer...I stopped killing when the uniform came off.

I do not hunt for meat. I dang sure do not hunt for antlers. I hunt for love...and whether or not I am graced with a harvest and a full belly, I come away with my spirit full of life...and that should be enough for any man.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

last year the 62 lbs of venison i got from two does came out to 1.40 lb....all i needed last year was my lic/tags that rolled in at 86 bucks here in pa, that included a $16.00 bear tag....i don't count gas as i keep gas in my tank all the time to just go where i need to other then hunting....i don't buy new bows, guns, clothes/shoes and such every year....if i add in my $700.00 exocet i bought in 08 and 3 years lic/tag cost it works out to 7.60 lb, still not bad compaired to bison at 16.00+ a lb if i buy it at the local bison farm....elk hunt out west, well we all know that cost for elk meat....same as a moose hunt for there meat....say i get two deer this year it drops to just over 5.00 lb, i don't see me needing any high dollar stuff for at least 5 years the way i hunt....when i get deer starting in oct i don't buy beef till summer when my venison stock is gone depending on how many i gotten that year hunting....i hear guys buying new guns, bows, clothes, gear, stands every year then complain hunting is expensive :shock: well yeah then it is....hunting is only as expensvie as you make it :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

MarkMarine wrote:I am a hunter, first and foremost. I have yet to find an antler recipe that renders them palatable. Thus, I am a meat hunter.

However, am I just a meat hunter? Do I deer hunt for solely the meat? Absolutely not! There is no such thing as cheap deer meat when you add in fees, tags, trips, fuel, gear, weaponry, accessories and on and on and on. The price per pound of venison would absolutely boggle your mind were you to ever compute it...and you thought gas was high! :lol: It is a heck of a lot cheaper to skip on down to Engels grocery and scarf up filet mignon than it is to try to fill a freezer with deer meat.

But, it is not just the meat I hunt for; then what is the motivation? Love. Is there anything more enjoyable than walking through the frosty fields on your way to your favorite spot on a winter's morn? Is there anything more radiant than the sunshine piercing the fall leaves that still tinge green as they and you sway in unison upon the treestand overlooking an active trail? Is there anything more satisfying than after spending a seeming lifetime following the beacon of a flashlight in the dark you pick up a splash of red here...then there...and over yonder....and on and on until they mark the last living trek of so noble a creature that you slipped an arrow into the heart of?

I am a hunter - NOT a killer...I stopped killing when the uniform came off.

I do not hunt for meat. I dang sure do not hunt for antlers. I hunt for love...and whether or not I am graced with a harvest and a full belly, I come away with my spirit full of life...and that should be enough for any man.
Well said Mark. X2
mfh

Post by mfh »

Here in a VA we have an urban problem so it will definitely not effect the herd. I took two a couple years ago and though there was not much meat, it was the best jerky I ever made.

I won't take them with spots, but that is just personal. Its a lot of work for a little meat so it is not what I go after....but I would not think twice if we needed the meat.
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

Three years ago I had a doe come to me with twin fawns and I took one of the fawns as they are great eating and I knew that the doe had survived at least three winters and given birth and would be able to again.
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

bob1961 wrote:....hunting is only as expensvie as you make it :wink: .......bob

Bob, outstanding point! I try my best to K.I.S.S. as I've seen more deer wearing blue jeans than I ever had in camoflauge lol This year I bought another ground blind though :oops: If I had my own property to hunt, I could get by with a whole lot less expense. I do not think I am going to hunt with the Wounded Warriors this year like I did last...the attention was just too embarassing, I do not do crowds well, and (quite honestly) I am no hero - just a survivor. So, I had to break down and buy something protable for wherever I can find a place to hunt on.
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

hey mark marine: everyone in the armed forces in my mind is a HERO.. and thank you for your service...
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers