Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

would you shoot a weanling (fawn)

yes - it makes for good eating and doesn't hurt the herd's survival rates
45%
yes - but I'd want to make sure it was a doe
7%
no - only a starving person would even think of it
21%
no - I wouldn't, but I have no problem with someone else killing one.
27%

Total votes: 96

wabi

POLL - are fawns fair game?

Post by wabi »

The subject came up in another thread and I thought it might make an interesting poll question.
Realizing this topic could bring out some strong emotional responses, I would ask for people to keep things civil in the discussion (if any).
I also (and hope other members consider it, too) realize members here are spread over a vast geographical area. In some locations deer are not that plentiful, but in others they are overpopulated to the point of being "pests" to farmers, motorists, and homeowners. Where I live most people wish there were far fewer deer crossing the roads and eating their crops, gardens, and flowers & shrubbery. The state DNR has expanded hunting opportunities to provide a long season and liberal limits (6 deer in my zone compared to one only just a few short years ago).
If the deer population was in any danger of suffering from the taking of a "weanling" I would not even consider it, but the fact is - they need to be thinned in numbers around here! I try my best to determine their sex before I take one, and limit my kills to does only.

I was actually thinking of taking one of the "weanlings" if they are big enough by the opener.

I realize it's not something everyone is in favor of, but in reality the season dates are set with the deer's survival in mind. By opening day most of the fawns are old enough to survive on their own.

As far as taking a fawn (weanling sounds like a much better description, picked that term up in a magazine article in favor of selectively removing young ones) if they are old/big enough to use for meat you can bet it will be tender. Their chances of survival in a hard winter are much lower than the older deer's chances. It sounds harsh & cruel to many people, but nature's plan is geared toward the healthy breeding population to have the highest survival chances - if the young ones die (not established "breeders") the mothers & fathers (established "breeders") can make more. :roll:
I don't take many young ones, but I have in the past and probably will do it again. I really prefer a "yearling" (one that is 1½ years old on the opener) for the freezer, but if there are plenty of "weanlings" available it probably doesn't hurt the overall health of the local population to reduce the population by one.

Might make an interesting thread to do a poll on whether members would take one, or not.
wabi
sumner4991

Re: POLL - are fawns fair game?

Post by sumner4991 »

I have been known to pull the trigger prematurely . . .deer walks into the opening and whack . . .I had no idea the size, the shape or the sex.

I have no problem pulling that trigger when I'm hunting in Virginia on property that is overloaded with deer. However, I hate using up one of my deer :"stamps" with a small deer. Just not enough meat in it. Too many people on my deer meat wish list.

I hunt only mature deer here in Georgia. I just don't see a lot of deer on the property I hunt. The property management team is asking us to limit the bucks to 6 points or larger.

Anyway, my point is . . .I feel like it's more of a herd management issue than anything else.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

if i get the chance i will shoot the fawn ever time over the doe . the doe can make it thru the winter on her own were as a fawn may not be able to make it thru on its own . and the young ones are far better eating DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

I Personally wouldn't shoot a fawn but i dont have a problem with someone else doing it .i would rather see a fawn killed than a doe with a fawn.just my opinion...
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

There's so many variables, but if it's late season and I still have no venison then a fawns fair game! Never anything with spots though for me
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Young ones are fine eating. :D May be kinda strange but the spots have to be gone :roll: ...or almost gone :shock: before I shoot one though. :lol:
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i voted yes i would....here in PA i usually have 4 tags a years, one buck and 3 doe tags....the 1st two tags i'm going for mature does, then i might take a yearling for the better meat....but when i can get bout 30/35 lbs of venison from a full grown doe and more from a bigger buck i'll tag them almost every time...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
strum

Post by strum »

one shot scott wrote:There's so many variables, but if it's late season and I still have no venison then a fawns fair game! Never anything with spots though for me
im haveing a hard time voting because i dont shoot em and dont like to see em shot but,,i have done it so ill have to go with one shot on this one there are just too many variables.
around here deer are not scarce but not over populated either so most of the time i see no need to shoot em..
and i just hate :oops: to see people shoot em when they dont need em and just do it for the brag.this is redneck country it happens :(
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

i am a meat hunter. but i will let a fawn go.but that's about it! :lol:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Yeah your right bugs, most times the spots are gone by the time hunting season begins. There is a slight chance you may see one if it's born late though. Last year I had a Dow and fawn 10 feet infront of the tree I was in and I was more than content just to watch them browse. A good time to practice calls!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

bugs wrote:Arent the spots gone by Oct? I think I may choke if the spots were still there, I am a girl and Bambi is Bambi :lol: :lol: But who knows maybe it would not bother me. I would need to be in that situation to decide. I would take a fawn before the doe if they were together or if a twin was present so a fawn would not be on its own. I am in it for the meat. I feel my local area is well managed and we only get 1 tag and maybe a spare if all are not all taken. Seeing as I havent gotten a deer yet I am pretty sure whatever presents a shot would go down and go in my freezer and hopefully that doesnt end up being a racoon :roll: :roll: .
I have never shot one with spots, and don't intent to unless I'm starving. :lol:
However................
the spots usually gone by season, and the young ones ARE good eating. :roll: :wink:

Last season I decided to take one out of a pair of twins, and I did.
August -

Early September -

Opening day of deer season - (8:19:58AM)

Soon after the game cam took the picture - (8:28AM)

I didn't vote, but I guess you know where I stand on the subject now. :lol:
No regrets, the other "weanling" was back at the feeder the same day and as far as I know it was still around at the end of the season.
wabi
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Here in NorthWest Georgia, our bow season starts Sept. 10th. I have seen numerous fawns over the past seasons that still have spots or still have very light spots on them. We have a lot of late season births here so its not that uncommon here.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Our season doesn't open until the last week in September, so the spots are usually gone. I have seen one that still had spots that late, but it's unusual.

We also have antlerless only tags available here for less ($15) than a regular deer tag ($24). I get them processed for free, so it's still reasonably cheap meat.
wabi
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I wont shoot a fawn because i feel like your killing a potential large buck.
I have killed deer before that looked large till you get up to them but that was long range rifle shoots.
20or30 yards is easy to see the size and even if i dont have any deer in the freezer or not i wont shoot it just to have a few pounds of meat,It takes to long for a deer to grow to a nice size.
I know they take over but a good management plan would work better than killing the fawns ...im for giving the fawns a chance
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Depends on population. Fawns are good eating but it's like eating your seed corn if the population is down.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!