Would you take a shot at 80yds?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dereck

Would you take a shot at 80yds?

Post by Dereck »

I over heard a sales person suggesting that a tac15 would provide that cushion for taking an extra long shot from a treestand.
Had to bite my tongue
Tenpoint Matrix
agingcrossbower

Re: Would you take a shot at 80yds?

Post by agingcrossbower »

In my compound days hunting out in the western states it was common to take a 50 yard shot and on rare occasions a 80 yarder. I would never attempt a shot over 40 yards with my crossbow. I do not believe the kinetic energy is there and I am not half as accurate as I use to be shooting. To recommend it to someone is just wrong.
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

not at an animal, but one day I do want to try some longer range target shooting..maybe 60+yds.
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sure i would with my ML!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thats nutz. Hopefully the buyer knows more than the salesman.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

nope, not me....maybe 40, but highly unlikely unless i have the ultimate
shot and tha critter has notta clue i'm around.... 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I have shot 50yds during practice and hit a turkey target in the head 3 for 3 (yes there was a witness :D ) but would never attempt that range at an animal.

I am sure the tac15 is a tack driver but not my choice for a hunting tool.

Sales person was also describing how careful you have to be with the excals as the limbs are so wide when shooting very easy to hit them on something.Made it sound like a drawback to purchasing one of them.
Maybe he just wanted to move the $1800.00 dollar bow.
Tenpoint Matrix
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I 've seen TV stars shoot 60 yards and better at deer . Some shots were uphill ! This shooting burns me because it educates the rookies into believing that " Mr. Celebrity " can do it with his J&^%$# bow , so can I if I use the same bow ! Ray
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

Thats a chip shot for 30-06 no problem at all !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Not a chance...probably 40 yards tops for me.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

This post can be relegated to rifles as well. I have witnessed "Professional hunters" taking excessive yardage shots on "trophy" animals. They were not concerned with shot placement - insomuch as a clean ethical kill - they were only concerned with stopping the animal no matter what. The meat was of no more matter than the element of pain such poor shot placement would cause; just the "mountable" portion.

Ethical. It is the key word.

Whether rifles or crossbows, it is not how far the bullet or arrow could predictably fly, it is whether either should be let loosed in the first place. With all the variables in firing either, the greater the distance the greater degree of their ballistic impact on the shot.

I am an outstanding shot...but it is not about my ability to shoot, it is about the capability of my shot delivery to ethically harvest the animal on the receiving end of it.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

MarkMarine wrote:This post can be relegated to rifles as well. I have witnessed "Professional hunters" taking excessive yardage shots on "trophy" animals. They were not concerned with shot placement - insomuch as a clean ethical kill - they were only concerned with stopping the animal no matter what. The meat was of no more matter than the element of pain such poor shot placement would cause; just the "mountable" portion.

Ethical. It is the key word.

Whether rifles or crossbows, it is not how far the bullet or arrow could predictably fly, it is whether either should be let loosed in the first place. With all the variables in firing either, the greater the distance the greater degree of their ballistic impact on the shot.

I am an outstanding shot...but it is not about my ability to shoot, it is about the capability of my shot delivery to ethically harvest the animal on the receiving end of it.

Well said
Tenpoint Matrix
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I'm lucky if I hit what I shoot at at 20 yards :lol:
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

My normal shot is 20 yds. The farthest I shoot at deer is 25 yds., no exceptions. I never miss. :wink: Gary
Dash

Post by Dash »

Although I enjoy target shooting long distance, 80M is well beyond what I would consider for hunting, I don't like to risk it. I know someone here who raves about the accuracy & flat trajectory of his tac15 at distance though. Maybe 60-70M could be ethical with a resting TAC15? I couldn't say.
At the end of the day, people need to know the capabilities of their equipment and themselves, and make a personal desicion based on that. Not sales propaganda. If you were new in the sport it would be hard to know what's normal with all these companies making claims about the accuracy, speed, etc of thier products. They can give people seriously high expectations to aim for.