Breaking in a Flemish String

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kurisu

Breaking in a Flemish String

Post by kurisu »

Hi Folks,

The purpose of this posting is twofold, first a question and then, perhaps, a word of caution. I will preface the question and note of caution with a quick explanation of what I did to "break in" a Flemish string I bought.

Yesterday I installed a new Excalibur Flemish String that I purchased on Saturday. I left it a little high of the brace height indicators and this morning I noticed that it had settled a little lower on the brace. This afternoon, before shooting, I watched the Excalibur intructional video entitled Strings to make sure that I was stretching the string properly. On it, Bill T says that a Flemish string can be stretched quickly by installing it about an inch above the brace height indicators and taking about 20 shots, then leaving it overnight and adjusting it to your preferred height. This will stretch it to the point where there will be very little creep.

So here's my question, is it okay to shoot the bow with the string height set above the brace height marks? When I took my first shot using the advice I saw on the video the string loop on the left limb pulled off the tip and slid down the limb. The arrow flew true but the string came off. Before shooting I checked to see that the arrow was nocked properly, and I checked the string to make sure it was on the tips properly before shooting as well. After the shot I checked the limbs and they were alright so I reset the string at the high brace mark and kept shooting. I took about eight more shots with no string creep and no more string issues.

Here's the word of caution, by no means do I profess to know more than the experts but when I took the advice given on the Strings instructional video at 2:05 I threw my string.... At least that's what it seems.
Boo

Re: Breaking in a Flemish String

Post by Boo »

When a limb slides through a loop on the shot it is caused by too large a string loop or a brace height that is too low.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
kurisu

Re: Breaking in a Flemish String

Post by kurisu »

Hi Boo,

Thanks for your reply. I know the brace height was high so that means the string loop was too big. Thanks for the reply.

Kurisu