Axiom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ddwdt

Axiom

Post by ddwdt »

Just ordered a new Axiom and it should be here in a day or two. Wanted to let everyone know that you guys and gals made my decision for me. Was a little worried about the composite barrel and even that was addressed in the forum. Still thinking I may ugrade in time but all the reviews I have read will keep me an Excalibur shooter.
One thing I have not found(though might be here?) is does anyone know if dissipater bars can be installed on the axiom ? I saw that the s5 system can be ...but not about the bars?
one shot scott

Re: Axiom

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum, yes they can be added but the s5 is a better option. The dissipator pads/bars do very little in my opinion and some members take theirs off.

edit: changed opium to opinion
LOL!!!
Last edited by one shot scott on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ddwdt

Post by ddwdt »

Thanks one shot !
S 5 it will be then ! I have been bowhunting 37 years but totally new to crossbows... My shoulders kinda blew up and hated the thoughts of quitting.... I sure hope I enjoy shooting the crossbow as much as I did the compounds. Lookin like a bit more maintainence to them but not so to be troublesome. I'll be needing some more info on them . The brace height is a bit confusing to me me right now but I'm sure it is simple....not sure what to measure and where from ?....but from what I hear after a few shots you are ready to adjust and it should then stay for ya. Lookin forward to playing with it for sure.
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

you are goin to luv it. I just got an Excal, my 5th xbow, and in my mind it left the other 4 I had in the shade..once you get the feel of it you are hooked :lol:
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Jimmer G

Post by Jimmer G »

I just got an axiom also and love it so far. I was going to go for the top of the line originally but after picking up and holding an axiom I noticed how much lighter it was and decided to go with it. Shoots extremely consistent and tonight I did some shooting with the x act broad heads which were dead on!

I measured the drop of the arrows between 20 and 30 yards and it was 5 inches which i think is pretty good for a 175 pound bow. I'm curious what the ibex and equinox drop is at the higher poundage? I am sure they are a little flatter shooting but you have to trade off something for the reduced draw weight and I think the axiom is a good performer so far.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy your new Axiom when it comes in.
Happy hunting and safe shooting to you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Congratulations on becoming an Axiom owner, I recently purchased my 1st crossbow & went with the Excalibur Axiom. Went with recurve on a recommendation of my nephew who said alot of people have trouble with compound xbows blowing up. You will not regret your decision to go with the Axiom. I was very impressed with how easy it was to sight in & how consistently accurate it is. I cant shoot at the same spot or I'll be buying alot of bolts. I use to bow hunt with a compound,but as I get older I just cant hold at full draw very long. I've had people say using a crossbow is cheating,I say its no more cheating than using compound bow -vs- a long bow or a rifle -vs- a shotgun,its just another weapon. Good luck.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
ddwdt

Post by ddwdt »

Thanks all !!!!! I can't wait to shoot it... It came today and I just finished putting it together, and hopped on to register it. I'll going to get some wax tomorrow and then sling a few bolts I hope ! Nice and light and I really like the way it is built, solid and simple.... Just what I was looking for ! Nothing left now to do except practice buy some broadheads ...Then it's time to Bag Tag and drag !!! LOL.......... be back to let ya know how the shooting goes.....
ddwdt

Post by ddwdt »

Louvp
Same here, 37 years with my bow and now my shoulders have kinda blown up !! LOL..... I never thought about a crossbow until I missed last season completely trying to heal...Here it is a year later and still the shoulders are bad....I sold my Bow and all the gear attached a week or so back..... I'm pretty sure I went with the right crossbow ...I have yet to read a bad review about the Excaliburs..... I'm gonna give this one a workout and see how it goes.... I'm pretty excited about getting into the woods with it...seasons only weeks away now !
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Louvp wrote:I've had people say using a crossbow is cheating,I say its no more cheating than using compound bow -vs- a long bow or a rifle -vs- a shotgun,its just another weapon. Good luck.
I don't understand people who say this. Is it cheating to drive a car instead of walk? How about fly overseas instead of building the boat and sailing it to the destination? Personally, I have both an Excalibur and a vertical bow and I enjoy shooting both. That's all that really matters.
ddwdt

Post by ddwdt »

Shot the Axiom for the first time today, Four shots and it was in ! The consistant accuracy was pretty amazing ! Shot off a bench to sight it in... Then just about six arrows afterwards as it was getting dark.... All of them dead on the mark at 20 ....Hope to shoot some distance in days to come just for fun.
ddwdt

Post by ddwdt »

kurisu wrote:
Louvp wrote:I've had people say using a crossbow is cheating,I say its no more cheating than using compound bow -vs- a long bow or a rifle -vs- a shotgun,its just another weapon. Good luck.
I don't understand people who say this. Is it cheating to drive a car instead of walk? How about fly overseas instead of building the boat and sailing it to the destination? Personally, I have both an Excalibur and a vertical bow and I enjoy shooting both. That's all that really matters.
Here in Pa. until recently you pretty much had to have a doctors slip to allow you to hunt with a crossbow, I know this because My Father had to have one back in the early 90's to allow him a few more years of bow season.... Still had to hunt, Still had to be close enough....just like all the bows he shot before the crossbow . If anything I saw it as a little harder...harder to carry around, not so easy to hang in your treestand. I will miss My bow, My shoulders can't do it anymore, But I don't see taking a deer being any easier with a crossbow.