Opening day adventures or Amazing animal instincts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new2xbow

Opening day adventures or Amazing animal instincts

Post by new2xbow »

OK so I am finally going to be able to tell about the crazy opening day in NC, and my first excal deer.

So as stated in other posts my morning started with me having to sit and wait for 2 deer to get off the bait pile so i could get to my stand. well at 6:32 it was officially hunting season and at about 7:10 i hear a splach in the creek to my left (downwind, thought i was busted) I look over and a doe and her yearling twins have just come across the creek and were working their way around behind me. I had already been ranging easily recognized things for reference and could tell she was headed right for an area i knew was 20 yds, she graciously stops right next to the tree i had ranged and stands there broadside for me to put an arrow right through both lungs.

I watch as she runs deeper into the woods about 40 yards and hear her drop, I give it about 10 minutes and decide to go find and check my arrow. About the time my foot hits the leaf litter she jumps up and bolts even deeper.

I quickly get back up in the stand and call my brother to tell him give it 20 minutes then bring my truck down.

when it is about time for him i get down out of my stand and go voer to where i shot her and find my arrow, Now i know what they mean by red arrow, and start looking for blood. Well thanks to all the leaf litter i couldn't find but a couple drops. I leave the arrow there and go to the last place i saw her running and once again the heavy wet leaf litter is making it impssible to see the blood.

About this time i hear my truck pull up and my brother get out and drop my tailgate. then he yells for me to call Levi, Now let me tell you about Levi. He is what we call the pointer mutt, we can tell he has some english pointer in him but there is a lot of other in him too, and i honestly wonder about this dog's mental status at times. he has in no way shape or form ever had any training, and doesn't even sit on command. The only reason he comes when called is he expects food.

So my brother asks if i have the arrow and i tell him i do, he says let Levi smell it, at this point i probably spooked every deer within a mile laughing and saying "yeah right" Well he urges me again so i humor him, cover the broadhead with my hand and let the dog smell the shaft. Myh brother then says go find it!

as i watch the dog clopping and bouncing around for the next 5 minutes i am thinking great i am never going to find my deer this way, about that time levi stiffens up and takes off into the woods, HE'S FOLLOWING THE PATH THE DEER RAN. me and my brother take off after him and see him stop in the general area i had figured she dropped the first time, he waits for us and as we approach i realize he is standing right next to a puddle of blood, about the time we reach him he takes off again. Once again he stops waits for us and we find a puddle where he is waiting and he takes off. As if i still don't believe it i am looking for signs of direction and my brother gets ahead of me, i look ahead see Levi standing and as my brother reaches him he yells, "Here she is!!"

So sufficed to say I was amazed dumbfounded and looking for my brothers shotgun to shoot the crow i was going to be eating.

So there is my story of First deer of the season, first deer with archery equipment, and first succesful track thanks to Levi!

In case you didn't see it in other post here she is,

And yes i was tempted to take one of the tender twins rather than mom!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
Dash

Re: Opening day adventures or Amazing animal instincts

Post by Dash »

You'll have to bring him along more often ! Good story.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics and a great tale of the hunt too!
Ole Levi did a great job. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Congrats, Great Story,nice to know you have Levi for backup if you need him in the future.I wish I had Levi a couple times.Nothing worse than loosing blood trail,happened to me while tracking it started heavy down pouring rain.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

I absolutley loved reading the story about your hunt. Congrats on your deer, I am glad you were able to find her.
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Good job on recovery!
Sounds like Levi just went from mutt status to fantastic recovery dog. :lol: :lol:
wabi
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats great story nice deer.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Nice job congratulations on your deer she looks to be good size.
That was a good story about your kill and recovery thanks for posting it.
When bow hunting I always try and give the deer an hour wait if possible even if I think I had a great hit it is the longest hour of the year for sure :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Cool .... Congrat's !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

thats great !!!
my lil'jack... jack russell will blood trail also. i just havta make sure nuthin gets him. :shock: we hada big owl swoop down on him coupla years ago.
luckly jack seen his shadow and ducted (ducked)...
i usually carry a scatter-gun now when blood trail'n for that reason
always great to have trail'n hound.
takes much work out and add's much excitement... 8)
good story and hope you have more :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on getting yer deer & to Levi yer fine tracker!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

They finally changed the law here and let us use dogs to trail wounded deer. Only thing is...the dog has to be on a leash. :roll: Gary
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

they are supposed to be here too, but my brother says they can kiss his tail cause this dog runs this property without a leash EVERY DAY. why would he put a leash on him now?!?!?!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"