Crossbow vs Rifle

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Crossbow vs Rifle

Post by MarkMarine »

The woods during accepted hunting seasons is a surreal environment ripe with possibilities. It is a land where hunter and prey chance meet with the advantages always to the prey. Our wildlife management laws were devised around such advantages. Here in Missouri, Archery season is from September 15 through January 15. Rifle Season is always the second week of November and lasting only 2 weeks.

Wait...why is archery season so long and rifle so short? I mean, 16 weeks versus two!

BECAUSE IF IT WERE FIREARM SEASON ALL THE FLAMING TIME THE PREY POPULATION WOULD BE DECIMATED.

Howso? Well, deer as we all know, are creatures of season. From Spring through Summer and into early Fall they are docile animals often found walking unalarmed in population areas. Yet, when the leaves start to completely disappear from the trees and the air breaks cold and crisp, something magical happens. They, both male and female, undergo a physiological change and take on a whole new persona.

At the peak of that altered ego, predictable behavior is removed from the equation and deer run helter-skelter through their territory: females ever skittish for the advances of bucks and males who sacrifice even food to chase after does. It is at that interval and slightly beyond when Firearm season begins. Based on increased senses and heightened awareness coupled with unpredictable behavior, the advantage goes to the prey...that's why we call them "game" because it is a gamble as to whether or not we as hunters are successful.

But when Joseph Blowzit snatches up his rifle and heads out into the woods during Archery Season, he is stacking the chips in his favor instead...and he knows it. Where our ranges are limited to within 40 yards (+/-) his is 400. How can we compete with that? :evil:

On opening day, a Thursday here, I heard absolutely nothing in the woods (not even the doe who walked up on me). Come Saturday morning, when Joseph Blowzit was off for the weekend from his daily grind at Yahoos Incorporated, the woods echoed with muzzle blast. It was like a blasted shooting gallery. I just sat in silence in the blind and did the best I could with what I had to work with. But, I brought a crossbow to a gunfight...
Boo

Re: Crossbow vs Rifle

Post by Boo »

Well done Mark. I know what you mean in your post and although I have no misgivings about people hunting with firearms I know I enjoy the quite hunt more than they do! It's a peaceful hunt that's good for the soul :D :D :D I'm also glad their's doesn't last very long! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Mark,
Try as we may, we can fix a lot of things, BUT...............
we just can't fix stupid!
There are always going to be those idiots who disregard the law, and are so far removed from a sportsmen it is ridicilous,
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Well written.
There is part of me that detests the interruption of the shotgun season in an otherwise peaceful season, and another part that has come to appreciate it.
Where I live our parcels of land can be fairly small, and with the outgrowth of the city and citidiots keeping hunters off the lands the deer have excellent places to hide.
I can watch a small bush, one of many that I have permission on for activity, often some of these are without deer for a decent part of the early season. Then comes the shotgun hunt, a week of chaotic gunshots, trespassing and fields of orange. When the dust settles it is common to see deer where there were none the week before. I look at these gun hunts like shaking a snow globe, I certainly do not like they way I have seen them done (just local here, nothing against the sport in general), but it keeps the weeks to follow very interesting.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Mark, i also heard many rifle shots yesterday & some this morning. They have no respect fer the Conservation laws just their greedy bragging psyche! I call them lowlife scumbags!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

our peaceful hunt only lasts 29 days here.... then here comes "joe blowzit" :lol: :wink: with his ar-15 from hell mowing down ever thing that moves. has no respect for other hunters muchless
spots or hunting for meat !!! he just want horns :twisted:
lots of that here........plum pittyfull :cry:

i think he needsa real gud asswhoop'n 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Boo

Post by Boo »

hankenhunter wrote:Mark, You have the soul of a poet!
more refreshed than when I left. Keep posting your thoughts,
I enjoy reading them.
Hank
Agreed 100%!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

It all depends on who you hunt with , not the weapon of choice .
I too used to detest the gun hunt but have grown to enjoy all forms of hunting . Give me a reason to go out . I enjoy the rifle , muzzleloader , shotgun and the bow season .
The anti`s just love it when we pick apart each other . It costs them nothing !!
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

nothing wrong with gun season... i'ma part of that for 3 months !!
but there is nothing like the piece and quite of archery season.
plus you get tha jump on them before blast'n away begins :lol:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

TPM

Post by TPM »

I've been hunting deer with a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader for the last 21 years and I must say that if the implication of this thread is that hunting with a gun is unsportsman like then I'm thoroughly offended. Shooting deer at 400 yards? Give me a break. I've never shot one beyond 60 yards in my life. Where the heck are you going to get a 400 yard shot in the woods?
I understand the proliferation of gun hunters all out at once during gun season but what do you expect when there's only one or two weeks a year to get out? It's pretty simple math.
Get off your high horse's people. Weapon of choice does not give you any ethical or moral superiority. PLENTY of idiot bow hunters out there also.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

TPM wrote:I've been hunting deer with a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader for the last 21 years and I must say that if the implication of this thread is that hunting with a gun is unsportsman like then I'm thoroughly offended. Shooting deer at 400 yards? Give me a break. I've never shot one beyond 60 yards in my life. Where the heck are you going to get a 400 yard shot in the woods?
I understand the proliferation of gun hunters all out at once during gun season but what do you expect when there's only one or two weeks a year to get out? It's pretty simple math.
Get off your high horse's people. Weapon of choice does not give you any ethical or moral superiority. PLENTY of idiot bow hunters out there also.
You mayhave mistaken this post! MarkMarine was telling of rifle hunting during our opening weekend archery season. We were sad about rifle hunters deer hunting during archery season, when they have 10 days either sex & an antlerless season following that of at least 10 days.
Half Bubble Off BD360

gendoc

Post by gendoc »

i guess from tpm's post, yall in canada only have 1-2 weeks gun season ?? thats what i gather from it...
it ain't like that in the U.S. some places have 2-3 months general gun, depends on where your at....
its just peaceful during our archery season !!!
i did not mean to affend anyone, it looks like our laws are different.
400yrds !!! that equals 4 football fields, thats bout all iknow
that distance is.
my rifles are .458,.358,.451 and my eye sight ain't no gud either, so how far you think i'm shoot'n for ??
i'll giveya a hint, less than 50yards :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

Boo

Post by Boo »

TPM wrote:I've been hunting deer with a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader for the last 21 years and I must say that if the implication of this thread is that hunting with a gun is unsportsman like then I'm thoroughly offended. Shooting deer at 400 yards? Give me a break. I've never shot one beyond 60 yards in my life. Where the heck are you going to get a 400 yard shot in the woods?
Tim, I think that many read it that way but that's certainly not the way I read Mark's post.
The way I saw the post is that the gun hunt is far from peaceful and full of "helter skelter". During the gun hunt there is a lot of pushing bushes and wood lots, lots of noise and along with that more stupidity. I believe that there is more of that during gun season than archery season because if you want to use a bow there you can't be doing a push and taking snap shots. In a small hunting club in Ohio where I am a member we do a push of some large woodlots. It requires a whole lot of organization because there are over 20 guys. With over 20 guys there is lots of shooting in a style that would make an archery only hunter shudder. It's safe and simple but I can see how things get carried away and I can see how an archery only hunter can get his feather up. But the purpose is to kill as many does and fawns as possible to increase the health of the over populated heard.
Let us also not forget that there is a geographic and cultural difference. What is acceptable to one is not necessarily acceptable to another. I don't want to discuss it but one word that gets some disgusted but it is a cultural oddity...dogs. But we don't want to start talking about that.
BTW, I can't count the number of deer and antelope that I've shot at 300 yards on my fingers. Three hundred yards is easy if you do your homework.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Here where i live now i can't get a 100 yd shot with any weapon. Where i am from Ms. bean & corn fields are sometimes a mile long & wide. I have never shot many deer at 400 yds. I do remember est. of one at 1/4 mile & shot with my 25-06. Twas one dead deer 100 gr silvertip through the throat patch.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

Rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzle loader, long bow, recurve bow, compound bow, crossbow, spear........rock. The most important thing is the deep felt desire and love for the hunt. The passion that the majority of society does not and cannot understand. That longing for solitude and oneness with GOD's creation that becomes harder and harder to find in our day. Regardless of the "tool" used, the vast majority of US are of the same "ilk" so to speak. I prefer not to throw a rock. I use a rifle often times. I have never used a pistol. I happily reach for my crossbow. I love......NO! I LONG for the feeling I get when I am in the woods hunting. Clear mind...sharpened senses...peace. Regardless of what I am holding in my hands.
DEO VINDICE