Best Front of Center

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Legnip

Best Front of Center

Post by Legnip »

What is the best front of center for arrow flight and accurracy?

How is FOC measured? If I have a 20" arrow and the center of gravity is at 12", then is that a 10% FOC or 20% FOC?

Can you ever have too much FOC?
GaryL

Re: Best Front of Center

Post by GaryL »

Legnip wrote:What is the best front of center for arrow flight and accurracy?

How is FOC measured? If I have a 20" arrow and the center of gravity is at 12", then is that a 10% FOC or 20% FOC?

Can you ever have too much FOC?
If your arrow falls off the xbow, you have too much FOC :!: :lol:

To help you out I suggest a search using FOC, lots of info., on the subject in the forum files. I will look it up this afternoon and post back at ya if it's still needed by U. I need to look it up myself now..

bstout or wabi I know can help ya out fer sure.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

GaryL wrote: If your arrow falls off the xbow, you have too much FOC :!: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary . . .good to see you posting! :)

Some folks don't think you can have too much FOC. Personally, I don't think it's something to worry about.

About any arrow/broadhead combination is going to have enough FOC without adding a bunch of weight. Mainly because of the shortness of a crossbow arrow and most of the broadheads weigh at least 100 grains.

You can get too much weight on the end of your arrow. When you get too much, then your trajectory will nose dive at longer ranges . . .that 50 yard mark on your Lumizone will not be 50.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

sumner4991 wrote:
Some folks don't think you can have too much FOC. Personally, I don't think it's something to worry about.

You can get too much weight on the end of your arrow. When you get too much, then your trajectory will nose dive at longer ranges . . .that 50 yard mark on your Lumizone will not be 50.
X2....... thats how i get my FOC.... if it makes it to 50yrds like its spose too, then its all good :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

GaryL...I'm so glad to see you posting on the forum. It's been so long that you have posted that I was wondering how you were doing, but I was afraid to ask fearing bad news.
Legnip wrote:If I have a 20" arrow and the center of gravity is at 12", then is that a 10% FOC or 20% FOC?
The FOC for that is 10%., much too low when using a broadhead...20% would be much better. The reason is: a larger FOC is necessary for shooting long distances where crosswinds tend to have a large effect on arrow flight. The same applies to shooting broadheads over field points because the larger surface area of a broadhead is more greatly affected by launch imperfections as well as crosswinds. Broadheads tend to steer an arrow which can often have a negative affect that the fletchings must overcome.

The formula is FOC = (B/L - 0.5) * 100

Where:
B = Balance Point, measured from the back of arrow
L = total Length of arrow, including point/broadhead
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Hillbilly method: measure from end of nock to end of bhead point. Divide by 2, mark that length w/ sharpie. Mark balance point. Measure between two marks, figure 5% per inch.

I'm not sure of formula on 22" arrows, but it ain't this one, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Couldn't agree more!

I've been shooting arrows with under 10% FOC for years and have had no problems hitting the same hole in the target shot after shot or a deer's vitals. I have NEVER missed a shot because of FOC, and I have shot in rain, wind, snow, and even good weather! :lol:

Just an opinion (guess on my part), but I think most of the desire for extreme FOC was created by arrow companies wanting to boost sales of aftermarket components.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am a fan of a heavy FOC.
This year I veered from my typical arrow (2" blazers/brass inserts) and went with aluminum inserts, I made a set of arrows that I was sure was going to be on my bow for the season, I was wrong.
The arrows were perfect, and they flew great, right up until I started to take long shots in a crosswind. Not only were the arrows being drifted farther than I was comfortable with, they were also penetration the target at odd angles. Hunting situation? Definitely not. But then I like to shoot a lot and experiment with everything that is available to me.
Pretty simple physics after I sat down and figured it out. Take a dart, put the weight on the back and see how well it flies, it's an extreme comparison, but at some point the more weight that sits FOC the straighter the projectile will fly.
So now I get to spend my Sunday resighting my bow back to the heavier arrows.. It's a rough life. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

One of Danny Miller's famous quotes when asked about FOC: "I'd shoot 100% if I could get it". :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

FOC is a valid pricipal of good arrow flight. Rear weight your arrows and see what happens..
In the Wind.......