Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

zman

Exomax

Post by zman »

Hi Everyone
I just wanted to see what everyone thought of my set up , i'm shooting the exomax with 100 grain Rage Mechanical Braodheads on the same arrows that came with the light stuff . is the 100grain to light for this big of a crossbow ,
Dereck

Re: Exomax

Post by Dereck »

As long as you are reaching the min weight of 350 gr but I think you will find a slightly heavier arrow will perform better in th 400 to 450 gr area.JMO
Tenpoint Matrix
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It mainly depends on the broadhead you are using and the game you are hunting. I found that a 410 grain arrow is best for the size deer I hunt with the 2" cut, 3 blade broadhead I use.

I shot one deer with the Spitfire 100 grain and achieved a complete pass through . . .it weighed about 130 field dressed.

Anyway, it's not just the size bow you are shooting. It's the size of everything added together.

For deer, the 100 grain Rage should be just fine on the minimum weight arrow, 350 grains shooting from an Exomax. The heavier the bow, the lighter the arrow you can use and still get enough penetration.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

If you're shooting at relatively short distances I suppose a light arrow will do. I'm not saying to avoid light arrows, just to realize their drawbacks.

For various reasons, I personally do not use an arrow weighing less 418gr, even on my Excalibur Exocet 175. On my Exomag 200 and especially my Exomax 225, I actually use arrows in the 425gr to 450gr.

The reason is that over the many years I've owned and used Excaliburs I've found that heavier arrows are more stable and less affected by wind and therefore more accurate at ranges beyond 20 yards. Heavy arrows also provide a quieter shot, which places less wear and tear on the bow and it's components. Another fact that some overlook, when trying to increase speed, is that unless the FOC percent is increased, accuracy will suffer.

One reason that Excalibur recommends the 150gr Boltcutters is to acheive increased FOC, which in turn improves accuracy. One can also increase FOC by using brass inserts.

In summation, I've found that the higher the speed potential a crossbow has, the heavier the arrow and the higher the FOC % should be.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I agree with ComfyBear for the most part. A heavier arrow has a number of advantages all of which he mentioned.

But don't think that a 100 grain mechanical broadhead on the stock arrows on an Exomax is too light. I've killed a couple doe at 40 yards with this exact setup and had a pass through each time. With the exception of a couple effective spine shots, everything that I've shot with my Exomax has been a pass through at all distances using 100 grain mechanical heads.

The only issue of major concern is accuracy. If the lower FOC is affecting your accuracy, then you need more weight up front. If you can shoot the broadhead accurately, you're ready for hunting.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Comfy said it all. :D
In the Wind.......
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

So my 350gr stick is not accurate after 20 yards, no pass thru, have to have a brass insert or 150gr bh for correct foc, B---S---

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:So my 350gr stick is not accurate after 20 yards, no pass thru, have to have a brass insert or 150gr bh for correct foc, B---S---

Wes
wes, i was wonder'n bout if you would see this !!!! :wink:
i will vouch for ya.......... :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

zman wrote:Hi Everyone
I just wanted to see what everyone thought of my set up , i'm shooting the exomax with 100 grain Rage Mechanical Braodheads on the same arrows that came with the light stuff . is the 100grain to light for this big of a crossbow ,

Zman what you have will take any game in North America and be as accurate as you can shoot, I wouldn't worry about the bells and whistles until you learn everything about your bow, I should have said this first :oops: SHOOT SAFE

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers