The best things in life...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

The best things in life...

Post by MarkMarine »

It has been said that the best things in life are free. Crossbow hunting is by no means "free", but the best part of it bears no costs whatsoever. Allow me to give you an example.

I purchased an Exomag off a fellow member of this forum. It was far from free! Yet, that person was kind enough to include some extra arrows in the deal which he would no longer be needing.

I bought some broadheads which proved to be sub par. Another member of this forum read of my dilemma and took it upon himself to send me some old broadheads he was not using. Furthermore, he included some NOS Muzzy (1984 to be specific).

The combination of the above two acts allowed me to affix those Muzzys to the aluminum shafts of the arrow. Thus, by two acts of generosity, I was now armed to hunt.

So it was Wednesday, I went out into the same little pie-wedge of land where I saw the doe before and lost her. This time, bearing the gifts of good men, I let go the arrow at another doe in much need of harvesting (as she had been wounded prior). The bolt flew true across the woods and needled its way through the understory to take that maimed doe directly in the heart. She went about 10 yards before collapsing and letting her own spirit fly.

With an emotional mix of humility and jubilation, I used my old knife to field dress her and load her up. I hung her overnight out of an old oak tree behind the toolshed. The next morning, with a sense of dread, I woke to go and skin her out. As I often do, I log online to check my emails before beginning work. I had received one from still another member who said I should have receive a little something he sent to me.

I walked out to the mailbox and, sure enough, there was a small package sitting in the box. I had not checked it the day before as I had been out in the woods til dark. And so it was that inside this box was a beautifully crafted knife which was made better than every knife I had ever owned or even held in my life combined!

All the acts of kindness culminated from beginning to end allowing me the opportunity to not only begin the hunt but affording me the ability to finish the harvest. To all those members here who were inspired to assist one of their own: I have no gift beyond my gratitude...other than to say what you so generously provided me was put to good use and affect. It was appreciated by me and the animal; as we both mercifully benefited from your charitable acts - all of which will not be forgotten.

1Cor 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.
Dash

Re: The best things in life...

Post by Dash »

Well put Mark.
So many people have helped me out on this forum in some way. A very generous bunch of good people. Some people aren't in a position to offer material things to help someone but are willing to offer thier skills or experience to help you out in other ways. You can't always do the same back imediately. I just try my best to do the same for someone when an oppertunity presents itself and I have something I can offer that may help.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats on the doe!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mark you have a way with words and your post is very touching. I am retired and hear you.
In these hard economic times, it comes as a breath of fresh air to receive the helping hand which aids us to pursue the endeavours that add to our lives.

Most of us, if we can, pay it forward in the way that we can.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Congratulations Mark. And CONGRATULATIONS to everyone else.
Thank you,
Raymond
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

bugs wrote:...Hopefully this year I get to have a picture taken of my first deer with my new Vixen, Arrows and Knife...
Well, the cameras are perhaps not as kind to me as they are to you. However, here is a pic of me with my Nam Bro, Dave, outside of his Ohio home a few years back. I am the one in carhardts lol

BTW, thanks all for your kind words and congratulations :)
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

very good post and deer Mark, congratulations too!!!
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer deer. So good of those that sent things to help you. Yer prose is very good, some folks just can write well, Mark!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your doe sir!! :D
Great bunch of people here...not a better forum out there... period!! :!:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

Great job on the doe, and a really good message in your post. I know no one on this forum personally, but there is no doubt that this is a long distance gathering place of some of the best people. Geographically separated, but very like minded and all with a common bond.

BTW......Semper Fidelis brother.
DEO VINDICE
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the harvest and gift it is well deserved.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

Congrats on the doe && those words you read were very touching words
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

What wonderful responses :) I am honored to be amidst such fine folks. I have, and I will, pay it forward because such selfless acts on the part of so many are beyond this old heart of stone to try and selfishly hold.

If I can be of service to any, please do not hesitate to call upon me. I have very little in the way of material possessions and am only online briefly as I am subject to limited connection - however, what I do have I will freely give to any and all in need.

Again, thanks for the courtesy.
jody5050

Post by jody5050 »

well done marine... in this forum, i have read about more good people, doing things for others, than any other site!! god bless
exocet 200 easton power bolts tracer nocks 125gr magnus stingers bad river tagged-out fiber optic sight S5 system monkey tail string dampeners