No blood trail issues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Norman

No blood trail issues

Post by Norman »

I have an Equinox and the past 2 years I have ran into a problem and need suggestions. I have shot 3 deer with the same result. No blood trail. Bolt has good blood on vanes but no trail. Last year I used Excalibur broad heads. Went to Rage 2 blade this year with same result. I have bow hunted for years and never saw this problem.
j.krug

Re: No blood trail issues

Post by j.krug »

Are you hunting from the ground or up in a tree stand? Sometimes the location of the exit wound, when hunting from the ground, doesn't allow for good blood drainage. Sometimes fat, muscle or lung tissue will act as a plug in the wound and stop blood flow also.

I've had good luck with the Rage 2 broadheads so far. The deer where spraying blood all over the place.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Norman

Post by Norman »

I am hunting from tree stands between 15 to 18 feet. The shots were from 15 to 30 yards.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Sounds like a run of bad luck on your last 3 deer. In terms of how they cut and impart bleeding, your broadheads don't care if they are sent on their way by a crossbow or a by verticle bow.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Its a good idea when tracking to look for blood up off the ground on the bushes ,if its a lung shot blood will be coming out they're mouths as they breath & cough it up, it will land high on bushes & trees they pass. and may not reach the ground.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
wayne

Post by wayne »

All that has been stated already & as ya know, it depends on what was cut by the B/H, after many years of killing deer with arrows, some hits can a while to find a blood trail, found this mostly with high lung, liver, etc. hits. Can take awhile for a blood trail to be found (sometimes the chest area needs to fill with blood before enough blood to leak out & time for blood to come out of nose & mouth, for a blood trail). Seen a few go 50 - 70 (+) yards before blood was seen (noticed it more if the deer runs off like a bat out of he!! & higher, & alittle back, type lung hit). Just had one of those about 5 years ago, on a small 6 point, using a 1 1/4" thunderhead, both lungs hit, but high & back, no blood found for about 70 yards, then some blood but not much for about 30 more yards, then for a few yards very good blood, but by then I could see the deer laying just ahead.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its very hard to tell you wether yer BH's are good or not. You say arrow has blood on it, but what color ? Did you follow the direction the deer went ? Usually blood trails will appear when the lowest hole entrance or exit from chest cavity. You may walk out that way 50 yds & run into a good blood trail & the deer down with-in another 5 to 20 yds. If'en i lose a blood trail i grid search & marking the last known spot the deer was. If'en i don't find deer then i go get my blood/scent tracker,Gussie
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Norman

Post by Norman »

The first deer was quartering toward me just a little and the hit was half way up body, middle of shoulder. Dark red blood. Other two were broadside. One hit was just right of leg bone and other hit about 2 inches past the shoulder crease. Both had light red blood. Maybe I need to go a little lower with the shot??? As far as the trailing goes, I have climbed back up tree several times to make sure I am going in the correct direction. I have zig zag trailed the first 100 yards after the shot and then circled about 200 yards to give the deer a chance for recovery.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

First doe I shot from a ground blind went 300 yds. before I found her. Was a high lung hit and there was no blood at all where she was standing or for 30 yds. and that was specks I had to get on hands and knees to see. It must have taken a while for her chest to fill as it was 100 yds. before I started seeing lung tissue. She did stop a couple of times and there were pools of "stuff". Now when hunting from a groud blind, I aim low. It's amazing what some of these deer can do when whacked!!
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Shoot them in the heart you will get good blood.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

i think each deer will be different ,i used mini bloodhunther trailing light from primos it did help me find the blood .
by gerald strine » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Shoot them in the heart you will get good blood.
that the best shoot :)
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Put it thru the boiler room and you'll have blood pouring out! Double lungs hits are great!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

j.krug wrote:
I've had good luck with the Rage 2 broadheads so far. The deer where spraying blood all over the place.
x2.....i have shot several deer with the rage 2 blade and had good blood a very short distance from where they stood when shot
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
strum

Post by strum »

gerald strine wrote:Shoot them in the heart you will get good blood.

like this maybe ?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
munch

Post by munch »

just a thought .what are you using for veins is it possible they are pulling fat or gut threw the hole acting like a plug not letting much blood out
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook