1st Day, 1st Deer Down of 2011

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

1st Day, 1st Deer Down of 2011

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I hafta be honest. I have a lot of irons in the fire this year and just wasn't as stoked as I generally am about the opening of Bow season. Don't get me wrong, I was VERY happy it was here, but not as much as I normally am.

I hit the alarm and must have dozed back to sleep. My Wife's alarm went off at 7 a.m. and it woke me up. Oh well, guess I won't make the morning hunt! (it's a 45 minute drive)

I grabbed a tree stand, put it in the truck and headed off by noon. I wanted to put this stand up on some new ground we are getting to hunt just across the road from where we hunt now.

I had the stand up and was out by 3 p.m. Went to town to get something to eat and drink. I was soaking wet from sweat by the time I'd got done so I needed a little rest.

Back out to our old stomping grounds where I climbed up in a tripod stand that we set back into several old Red Oaks that overlook a small food plot. Nothing happened until 6:45 when I saw three deer enter the field at the far edge. 2 fawns and a big Doe. They fed at the end for a while, even stepping over the legs of a ladder stand that my buddy has been planning on putting up! It was getting late and it didn't look like they were going to come down into my part of the food plot.

The food plot is shaped like a "P", my stand would be at the bottom of the "P" and they were at the top.

I was resting my bow on the rail, watching them feed back and forth ever so slightly getting closer. But I was running out of light. They were 65 yards and I figured they weren't getting much closer while I had light. Then another deer walked in the the field behind them. The old Doe walked even closer, looking back at the Yearling that had just entered the field. I ranged her with my R7 and she was at 53 yards. Further than I like to shoot.

But as I watched her feed and watch the fawns and Yearling horse around, a thought of "I can do this" crept into my head. I routinely practice out to 50 yards and further. I was leaning on the rail, chevron dead still on her chest. She was just standing chewing some Winter wheat and didn't have a care in the World. I took a deep breath, pushed the safety off, held slightly higher than where I wanted and squeezed the trigger.

The first thing I realized is that my Firenock did not light. I guess the battery had died since last year. The second thing I noticed is that the deer threw their heads up and looked my way while nearly simultaneously I heard the unmistakable sound of the arrow making contact. The Doe nearly fell down and took off while the others ran around the field snorting and looking around.

I couldn't see the arrow impact her, but I did see the dust fly as it hit the dirt behind her.

I waited about 20 minutes to get down. By that time it was dark and I had to use my flashlight to find my arrow. I was very concerned when I found it. It had blood and gut contents on it. I immediately started second guessing myself, wishing I hadn't took the shot. Three deer blew at me and took off to my right. Walked along where the deer had run and immediately found blood, but it didn't look like gut blood. I wasn't gonna take a chance, so I backed off and decided to come back this morning.

My buddy and I arrived about 9 a.m. and picked up the blood trail. "Mr. Optimist" kept saying, "Oh gosh, we'll be lucky to find this deer". "Oh, she's probably miles away by now".

We followed the trail right past his ladder stand laying on the ground at the base of a Red Oak at the edge of the field. Followed it for another 50 yards into the woods and Miss Big Ole Doe was layin' right there. Apparently she had been standing at more of an angle than what I'd thought and the arrow came out her gut on the opposite side. The entrance was also slight back from where I wanted it. She ran a total of about 75 to 100 yards after the hit.

I was using a 125 grain G5 Strker and it was still shaving sharp after going through her and into the dirt!

Apparently camera batteries should be checked before season as well because the ones in mine were dead when I got it out of my hunting pack! :(

Knowing what I know now, I doubt I will ever take another 50 plus yard shot on a Whitetail with my bow. While my arrows seem fast while practicing, it seemed like it took forever after pulling the trigger until I heard the "THROCK" of an arrow impacting a deer. I would say "never", but I've learned through experience to NEVER say NEVER about anything. But I'll certainly think long and hard should an opportunity like that every presents itself again.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
GooGoos

Re: 1st Day, 1st Deer Down of 2011

Post by GooGoos »

Well thankfully you found her. Congrats on your doe. Do you have any pics??
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Congrats Okie! I 2nd Googoos...show us some pics :)
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on your deer :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats. Glad you were able to find her.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

MarkMarine wrote:Congrats Okie! I 2nd Googoos...show us some pics :)
Sorry Guys, the batteries in my camera were dead. :( I'll have to put that on the list of things to check before I go hunting I guess...
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Okay, gotta feelin' sorry for you bunch of Pic hungry heathens :lol: so I decided to share a few pics that will hopefully sooth your cravin'

I went from this....

to this...

And I know I don't hafta tell ya what this is!!!

Now that's gotta hold ya until someone else kills one! :mrgreen:
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Boy, I know what you mean about that 50yard shot. Its a tough call and I am glad you ended up successful in the end. Congrats. :D
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your doe!!! :D :D
How about some pics when it comes out of the oven!!? :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

congrats for your doe . like you pics :lol: :lol:
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Nice story and shooting! Glad you found her.I always like to back out at night and come back in the am.This year i forgot to pack my light for tracking at night.I found that out after i shot a doe and went to get the light and no light! Duh! I don't like shots over 35yds but that's just me.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Some yummy pics there but you made me hungry!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer deer
Half Bubble Off BD360