Ladder Stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Worriedman

Ladder Stands

Post by Worriedman »

Seeing as to how I am a fairly large individual, (will go 250-260 depending on travel and meals with clients, they all like steak) and, I like to get up, who makes a safe sturdy ladder stand that has a platform at least 16' of higher off the ground?

I have looked at the Big Game stands at the local sporting goods stores, and they look a little flimsy to me.

I had several not-name brand stands that got destroyed in the storms this spring, they all were 18' off the ground platforms and built wide to accommodate a fat guy, the ladders were really stout, but that builder is no longer in business.

Suggestions?
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter of TFA
redmandant

Re: Ladder Stands

Post by redmandant »

Most of the lineup from Summit Tree Stands should be just what you are looking for. I have the same affliction, vertically challenged but horizontally gifted :lol: and have always been a little iffy with some of the cheepie stands, look at the Single shot magnum, worth its weight and very secure..

RED
I know I can't spell but does it look like I CAIR!!!!!
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

I use the gorrilla ones that walmart carries (they used to carry another name exactly the same) , they run about $80 each are rated for 300#, i stay around 255 and have been using them for years.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
MDBOWHUNTER

Post by MDBOWHUNTER »

Gander Mtn. 17 ft Magnum stands are really sturdy and have an extra wide seat. Good price and comfortable.

D
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

my favorites are the Buddy type stands..500lb capacity about 15 or 16ft high depending on make..surrounded by square tubeing , i wrap it with camo cloth and am concealed quite well...plenty of extra room..it feels good to my 300+lbs :shock:
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hello,
I have a Big Game Big Buddy 15 ft. 2 person ladder stand that I use and it is plenty sturdy for your size. It is rated for 500 lbs. and I feel totally comfortable in it. I will definitely buy other Big Game ladder stands again when I can afford another one, I feel that they are just as good as any other brand.
Thanks,
Raymond
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

We are a Walmart , bargan hinting group !

For less than $225.00 you can get a Remington twelve foot ladder stand - they say it is a two man stand , but ; with our experience not-one of us are less than 260 lbs.

The extra space is useful to stretch out and relax !

IMO opinion twelve feet high is good enough to elude most deer , who seem to never look up - on the flat grounds we hunt.

Cheaper is beter when it comes to equipment - because , believe it or not some scumbags harvest our equipment more than they harvest animals !

I have had many days waiting for game to approach within range to get a close- up look at chance to decide if they are worthy to harvest.

You should not go broke obtaining these stands that will last many many seasons and usually only appeal to the lowest of lowest scum-sucking dirtbages that steal equipment .

We even have been known to fall fast asleep while on watch and do indeed enjoy our time spent aboard these type of tools to hunt.

Good luck and God bless you while we all enjoy our favorite time of the year in anticipation of the possiblilities that will undoubtiby present them selves !!

oneshot..........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
rayman

Post by rayman »

OneShot wrote:We are a Walmart , bargan hinting group !
All the Walmarts around my house have 2-seater ladder stands, 17' I think, for about $115. Love them for the spacious room and sturdyness. I like the handrails to be a little higher so I put an 18" piece of 2*6 on each side with ubolts and run camo material all the way around. Nothing to it. One of my best friends is 6'6" and weights 350 plus, played o-line in college ball, and has hunted in my stands a number of times with no problem. I also take my nephew with me sometimes for a combined weight of about 400.

Most of my clients want country buffet at lunch time, or seafood for dinner, so I know all about it. 8)
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Hey Worriedman,

Be worried about a lot of things, but not a Big Game treestand! They are some of the most comfortable and well made stands on the market. The only problem is, like most ladder stands, they aren't high enough. I'm about 6'1" and 350 and I hunt out of about a dozen of them with no problem.

The only stand they have that is about the right height is the 20' Skybox. But it's narrow compared to others. It's a snug fit for my fat butt.

Now the Titan is the most comfortable treestand I have ever used, bar none! But it's only 15' to the rail, which means the foot platform is around 12.5.

I really hate it when treestand manufacturers try to make their stands seem taller than they are by measuring them to the rail! All rails are not the same height! They should be measured to the foot platform IMHO.

You might want to look at Rivers Edge stands as well as paying the Sportsmans Guide a visit online. They have some that are 22'. I've never used them so I can't comment on how comfortable and stable they are.

Bass Pro has a Sniper Intimidator that says it's 18'.

Good luck and let us know what you go with!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

You might try a Lone Wolf Climbing stand. I am about your size and use one. Ladder stands are heavy and hard to set up. The stand has to be leaned up against the tree and you have to climb it in order to strap it to the tree at the top and this is usually in the dark. The Lone Wolf is made out of aluminum and includes an excellent climbing harness so it is easy to carry in and safe to climb with plus there is nothing for the deer to see at ground level. You set on a bar for climbing and that bar also serves as a rest for shooting.

I have had every kind of stand imaginable (including ladder stand in my storage building) and have settled on three approaches, the Lone Wolf climber, the Lone Wolf hang on with Lone Wolf climbing Sticks, and a Double Bull Martrix 360 Ground Blind.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
rayman

Post by rayman »

hankenhunter wrote:My brother is a master mechanic and has a really skoocum mig welder.
Do you think it would be okay for me to build my own
Hankenhunter - I had some buddies who got the big idea to borrow a welder and make their own ladder stands. Safety, not a problem unless you count the hernia you get when they ask you to go help move stands. HEAVY!!!!!!!! :oops:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I bought team realtree's 17 1/2ft ladder stand rated for 300# for $129 at cabelas on sale.Very nice ladder stand.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline