23** series aluminum arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

23** series aluminum arrows

Post by wabi »

Recently someone asked if the 23** series (2314 I believe) they had on hand could be cut down and used in an Excalibur.

I didn't know at the time, so I didn't answer.

Now I know. :lol:

I just cut down an old 2315 aluminum arrow and glued in an aluminum insert for a nock. Checked the bare shaft for clearance on my Phoenix and it cleared the claws and seated against the string with no problems. I shot it once (with no fletching) at my indoor target at 30 feet and it hit the target just slightly lower (less than an inch) than my 2215s normally do. Again, this was an un-fletched shaft.

I've got fletching drying on it now, and will check it at 25 yards in the next few days.
wabi
MarkMarine

Re: 23** series aluminum arrows

Post by MarkMarine »

Mike, what is the caliper reading on those vs the GTs?
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

They are to big, stay with the 22 0r 21 series alum arrows

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

wabi, i am the person who asked the question about the 23 series shafts. i appreciate your checking into it but don't risk your equipment to check it out. i just had a bunch of 2314 shaft on my shelf just laying there and have already broke 2 carbons on hogs at my lease and was looking to use them instead, to cut down expenses. if there is any danger to my vortex there is no way i will use them. i knew some on here used alum shafts and wondered if they would fit in the size range for use. thanks.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Didn't compare the diameter, but it should be .016 difference.
I simply made sure it cleared the claws and the string is still close to it's center when it's on the rail.
I'd guess there's probably that much difference in actual string diameters in the serving area if you compare a dacron to some of the new fastflight type strings.
I don't think there is any danger in shooting them.
wabi
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

If there are any problems a larger dia. string will bring it back up to center. More strands... a larger dia. serving mat.I think that I have seen this as a fix for this on here before.
Normous

Post by Normous »

flightattendant100 wrote:If there are any problems a larger dia. string will bring it back up to center. More strands... a larger dia. serving mat.I think that I have seen this as a fix for this on here before.
More string strands = better contact and better accuracy if all is in sync. incuding the part you do behind the trigger.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

As long as it clears your jaws there is not much troubles . I have and do use them on occasion .
On hogs I can`t say if they are tough enough . But is there anything tough enough for pigs . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

Doe Master wrote:As long as it clears your jaws there is not much troubles . I have and do use them on occasion .
On hogs I can`t say if they are tough enough . But is there anything tough enough for pigs . :)
yea doe master that is my issue, everytime i shoot one it breaks my carbon bolt and i have close to 80 of these arrows from a compound with overdraw that i used to shoot that i no longer use...rather the porkers break one of them than one of my carbons cause i am gonna shoot them blasted pigs. lol