New to xbow just a few questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Destroyer

New to xbow just a few questions

Post by Destroyer »

Hey guys name is Warren i live in Ga, thanks for having me on your board i had been researching xbows for a bit and have been hunting with my compound the last few yrs and have had great success but wanted to try something reliable and new. I called Wyvren creations like i saw many of you on the board suggested to others and got set up with a excal vortex i actually was between that and the ten point gt mag but he steered me in the right direction i think lol. I havent gotten the bow yet but believe it comes with 400 to 420 gr bolts Gts i think its a vortex shadowzone package my main questions are about the broadheads i have been shooting slick trick magnums 100 gr from my compound and took three deer last week with them so im pretty high on the tricks now without changing inserts assuming these arrows have aluminum ones will i be ok to shoot that light of an broadhead or would i need brass inserts to raise foc? if not what broadheads would you guys recomend? weights ect? thanks in advance also any other pointers would be greatly appreciated im totally new to the crossbow side of things
georgiaboy

Re: New to xbow just a few questions

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum warren!! :D
Many members here use the slick tricks with great success...when you get your new bow by all means try them. :D
That's the great thing about these excal's...there's so many different way's to set one up, it's basically what you like and what combo shoots good out of your bow. For me it's firebolts and 125gr spitfires.
When you get your bow let us know what worked for you!!
Oh yea, what part of jawga you from? I'm in the savannah area.
Good Luck!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

i live in woodstock its about 30 mins outside of atlanta and hunt in canton which is another 15 min north of me. thanks for all you insight lol its fun settin one up i just got my compound shooting well and still will use it when i climb mostly but wanted somethin to hunt off the ground with for those cold days to come. Cant wait for it to arrive and shank one with it.
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase. You won't be sorry.

If I recall, the scope packages typically have the Firebolts with them.

I currently am shooting Laser 2's with the 100 grain Slick Trick magnums with brass inserts up front. I found that the heavier weight up front help the arrow stabilize over longer distance. At 20 to 30 yards I would suspect they would be fine.

I now use the Slick Tricks with my PSE and Excal.

Try them and see how they group
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
saxman

Post by saxman »

Howdy and welcome.
I have never shot the Tricks but I know that many a game animal has fallen to them from this forum alone.
The Excals are very forgiving, play around with different combos and shoot the ones you like,provided they group of course.
Good luck.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

i shoot the vortex as well and last week shot a hog with a 1 3/4 inch cut grim reaper and was very impressed. 125 grains, firebolt with alum. insert. went less than 40 yards.
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

welcome to the fourm !!! :D
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!

The firebolts and 100gr slicktricks will probably be accurate.

I highlight probably because each bow/arrow/point combination can give varied results.
I didn't get the "same as field points" poi with slick tricks many members do with my arrows, but when I tried the same combination with only changing (increasing) fletching offset I did.
Seems like there are always a few that get different results than the majority. :roll: :lol: :lol:
wabi
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Welcome to the forum. I have nothing new to add on what everyone else already said. :)
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you get Gt's, they will have the brass inserts. Firebolts were designed for 150 gr points/bheads.

I'd call Wyvern and see which arrows you are getting. If FB's, you can try some 150 gr Boltcutters, or any mechanical or 175 gr Slick Xbow tricks.

As you probably already know, higher FOC kills little gremlins in less than perfect combo's.
"Eze 18:21"
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Welcome!!
Crispy
Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

just lettin you guys know i got the xbow friday and the arrows where the easton firebolts with alum inserts i ended up slapping a leftover muzzy three blade 125 gr over the slick trick bc under 40 they flew pretty good and most my shots are 30 below well i was late to the stand this am and got into the same spot i arrowed two does with my compound last sat it was daylight so i just plopped down and grunted and bleated a series waited and in about 10 min i heard what i thought was a squirrel spun around to see a deer 20 ft from me and he saw me but i had my leafy suit on and couldnt get a shot bc the limb would have hit the tree he kept walking circling me about 30 ft out and i arrowed him double lung at about 9 yd he ran about 60 yd and piled up was a 2yr old 4 pt but im thrilled to take him lol first hunt ever with the crossbow and im hooked!!!!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your buck!! :D :D
These things are like crack a'int they :?: :mrgreen: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Way to go no that buck congrats we have another convert.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

heck yah lol thanx fellas