Couple missed shots ... then scored twice !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Couple missed shots ... then scored twice !

Post by R.J. »

Hello all ... Been real busy lately with fall chores, and I'm just catching up on my Forum reading !

Got half of my wood in ... basement chute is full and overload goes to the barn for now .

I see some awesome field reports > Majority are enjoying the season so far .
Unclefesters crew took a good bull moose ... Congrat's ( I know how much work goes into that ! )
Looks like Muskyman454 , and jh45gun , picked up some wild turkey in time for Thanksgiving Dinner .. Congrat's
Mike C. aka " wabi " ... seems to be keeping himself busy with tasty whitetails and fish ! ... Congrat's
Congrat's to all the others that filled tags on tasty doe's ! ( Munch , Thumper , Bignasty , Peter P , Georgiaboy , Riflemanz , jim milam , and pwweave94's 9 year old son to name a few )
( Also GooGoo's and crew ... including a plump hog ! ) , some cool hunt descriptions and pictures .
Congrat's to all the others that filled tags on Bucks of all sizes ! ( schnarrfuss , doublelung911 ,M&M , VA hunter , One Shot Scott , Big58cal , Derek , Dagriz's son , JackBass's daughter , Korey99 , Aero320 , and Nothbaydude )
Some cool hunt descriptions and pictures as well from that group ... ( hope I didn't miss anybody ) .

I had some Vacation time off work during our 2011 Ontario Archery Season opening week , that started on October 1st .

Preseason , I scouted farms that have usually , in the past , been good with misc buck's and doe's of all sizes .

As many that hunt the same WMU's ( wildlife management units ) that I do , know .... scouting / seeing and photographing whitetails is a lot easier than trying to get an arrow thru one ! .

I had my Y25 Relayer zoned in , but thought I was losing my mind when I missed two bucks on opening afternoon , hunting with Randy S. and CH at one of my favorite properties . Both CH and Randy watched while I whistled an arrow over the back of the 2nd one ! :oops: :oops: ( I love missing , while my buddies are watching ! ) :oops: :oops: ( Got home that night and found my scope was off 4 clicks high and 4 click left to get it back on target .. must have got bumped ? )

I was going to check out recipes for " tree bark " , since that was all my first arrows found !

Thru the week , I hunted over apple trees , covered sparse bean fields , clover , deer trails , staging areas etc .... It was a very " warm temperature week " , which I think definitely stymied the deer movement ...

Got a few pictures of deer in the field and crossing trails below my climber positions ...
Sorry for some of the blurry pictures ( combination of my movement and less than ideal focus )

Finally drew blood on an evening hunt when a nice sized doe gave me a perfect 22 yard quartering away shot opportunity ... Complete pass thru > entry , mid section LH side and exit just behind front leg RH side ... Ran South and expired on the trail . close to my truck . ( 22 yard shot with approx 110 yard recovery )( Y25 Relayer , Easton XX75's with 130 Gr Wasp BH , Boo string , Munch top quiver mount ) ( Approx 20 feet up in my Summit climber )

Our fall turkey season opened today ... I picked up a fall turkey tag last Saturday .

Earlier in the week , hunting with Pydpiper one afternoon > found a nice sized turkey flock had moved into the area with a couple of good tom's , 4 jakes , the rest hens and young .... so I figured that would be a good place to start .... no birds cooperated with my plan , so I packed up and tried a 2nd spot . Still no action ( way different in the fall hunt = not hearing any answers to repeat calling )

I was trying to figure out where my 3rd attempt / set up would be ( 3rd spot ? ) … and since I'm no expert caller , I figured I would try to ambush some traveling birds , if I could just locate some .

I got lucky and saw some birds approx 200 yards out in a field at the South side of a new property I just got permission on this spring ( property owner allows , archery only ) … Thru my binocular's , it looked like the birds were heading towards the North side of the property , so figured I'd try cutting them off as they filtered back through the bush . I hustled thru the bush , and set up deep into the property approx 60 yards in from the bush lot edge . About an hour later , I see heads bobbing thru the cover , and caught a tom off guard as he walked thru an opening 15 yards to my left .... the rest of the birds had traveled past further away ( 35 yards in some slash and bad angle ) , and just when I thought it was over , I got lucky when this tom and a jake took another path , closer to my set up .
( 15 yard broad side.. approx 12 yard recovery > he flapped back into the cover and I walked right by him on the first follow-up ) ( Obviously , the cover is much thicker then it was in the spring time ! )( 8 1/2 inch beard , 1 inch spurs , approx 20lbs ) ( Pop – up Ground blind ) ( Y25 Relayer , Easton XX75's with 130 Gr Wasp BH , Boo string , Munch top quiver mount )

Other cool pictures = Passing thru a small local village earlier in the week , I spotted this pet owner , out for a cruise with his dog ...

And a note from end of season last year .... My neighbor took this beauty 17 point during the late muzzleloader season ..... This buck was on a mission , mid day , cruising for doe's ... Cool to think this buck had at one time or another crossed my property . ( Neighbors bush is approx 200 acres West of my land ).

Gotta get some sleep before work tonight , so I'll sign off for now .

Good luck to all that are chasing turkeys thru till October and Whitetails thru to Dec 31st .
Last edited by R.J. on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
MarkMarine

Re: Couple missed shots ... then scored twice !

Post by MarkMarine »

RJ, nice pics and descriptions :) BEAUTIFUL setups and deer!
munch

Post by munch »

rj great pics and story once again thanks for posting .loved that buck
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on the doe & turkey!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd keep a close eye on the scope for a while. :wink:
I've had 3 failures over the years (two TenPoints and one Excalibur) and in all 3 cases I'd sight in, hunt for days or weeks and suddenly it would shift POI. After the first time the shifts would become more frequent.

As for the deer & fish, it cost me today. :roll:
I put the last doe in the freezer the other day and the next morning it still wasn't frozen. :shock: Turned the freezer to it's coldest setting and it was getting down below freezing, but was running almost constantly. Decided a new freezer might be a good investment, so I picked one up today.
(when transferring the food I decided to keep a few pounds of ground venison near the top so I can make more summer sausage soon :D )
wabi
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Looks like you've been busy. Awsome pics as always
Crispy
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Wow that is a nice trukey and congrats on the doe you got to love when they run towards the truck :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Wow that is a nice trukey and congrats on the doe you got to love when they run towards the truck :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on the doe & turkey!! :D
Wish we had a fall turkey season :(
Great pics as alway"s!! :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

congrats for your nice doe and turkey ..love your pics and story , thanks for sharing them
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Nice shooting and great pics!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
frisky

Post by frisky »

Great pictures :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
peter p

Post by peter p »

Congrats on your successful deer and turkey hunts.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Those photos sure Pop on my screen. I'm looking forward to the next set.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics as always RJ. Congrats on your deer and turkey. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! X2 :D Great pics!
The best things in life are not things!!