High at 50 yards?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ELLIS

High at 50 yards?

Post by ELLIS »

I am shooting 3D targets at tournaments only, I am not a hunter.

I am shooting Excalibur's carbon Firebolts with 100 grain bullet field points and Blazer X2 vanes helical offset.  They weigh in at exactly 350 grains.  My bow is a 2011 Eqiunox with a Boo 40 strand string and a DLX Twilight scope.

This weekend I was sighting in the scope shooting from a bench.  There was no wind at all during the day. Everything was fine at ten, twenty, thirty and forty yards. The cross hairs and chevrons matched up to the distances. At fifty yards the arrows went consistently high (four to five inches). The target I am shooting at is a Bulldog Doghouse XP whose target faces are covered with one inch black dots.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on at fifty yards with the scope? Prior to this I was shooting factory carbon Firebolts (with 100 grain bullet field points and four inch vanes) weighting 370 grains and the scope was dead on.
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
wabi

Re: High at 50 yards?

Post by wabi »

Did you re-check accuracy at the shorter ranges?
wabi
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

I did and they are dead on.......
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member
wabi

Post by wabi »

Only guess I have is that the reticle in the scope is off.
I'd call Excalibur and tell them what is happening.
wabi
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yep!! what Wabi said, A friend of mine his Twilight did the same thing. Our camp in 6 years have gone through 3 Vari zones, 3 lumizones, 1 shadow and 1 twilight? 6 out of 8 shoot excal's. My vari zone died this year.
Bones
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

You decreased your weight from 370 to 350, depending on your change in FOC the arrows may not be nose diving hard enough at the 50 yard mark.

I would try 125 and 150 grain field tips and see if you are able to get either of those combinations to get all of the scope chevrons to match. If changing field tip weights does not show much of an improvement then I would give Excalibur a call.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Aim one inch low at 50 yards . . .as long as it's consistant, no problem, right? :?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I am using a Vortex 3x crossbow scope on my Ibex shooting at 290 fps. 20, 30 and 40 yards are dead on but 50 yards is 5" to 6" high. My foc is 23%.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

Before altering my set up I was using factory Excalibur carbon Firebolts with 100 grain bullet field points (weighed 370 grains). The crosshairs and all of chevrons of the Twilight scope were dead on from 10 to 50 yards.

I then shaved the factory vanes off and put on Blazer X2 vanes helical offset. This removed ~20 grains from the arrow’s backend because of the much lighter vanes. This made the front end heavier than that of the factory arrow dynamics but also made them fly faster. I assume that the FOCs of the altered arrows would be better that that of the factory ones. Am I right or wrong about this? I did notice that these vanes did give me much tighter groups.

This weekend I am thinking about re-sighting in the scope but this time experiment by increasing the scope’s speed ring a little more. Maybe this will tighten up all distances. If it doesn’t, I will set things up as well as I can get and will have to aim lower at 50 yards to compensate for this abnormality.

Thanks for the replies!
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bill, did you set up your scope with a plumb bob and level? It won't take much to raise your point of impact at 50.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

That was the first thing I did when the scope was installed. I then added a anti-cant level to the scope housing. This level is checked before taking every a shot.

Thanks for the thought Don.
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Ellis,
I've has a somewhat similar issue. When my Exomax was dead on at 20, it would be a bit high at longer ranges. I had my speed ring set at max (350). I think mine must have been clocking a little over 350. I checked everything and noticed my brace height was on or in front of the front notch. I added a few twists to the string to bring it closer to the back notch. That took 1/2" or so off the stroke so it slows it down a few FPS. It was enough to cure my problem.

Of course it was only a problem in target practice cause that is the only place I ever toss an arrow more than 40 yards.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: