Noise Help - Please !!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

avidarcher

Noise Help - Please !!

Post by avidarcher »

Hi

New to the world of cross bow hunting - thought I would love it...but there is a 5 point buck that jumped my string noise at 20 yards. NOT pleased. Love the accuracy, the feel of the Ibex, wonderful product. Except the noise.

I have the two rubber "bumpers" installed that the sting hits and also put small limb saver rubber silencers on the limbs.

shooting 100 grain mussy dead on at 20 (silver dollar size groups). I shot at this buck slightly quartering away...perfect angle and distance. Shooting from 12/14 ft in tree with a very solid rest. Very good marksman, checked the Cross bow after...it is dead on.

ONLY thing I can figer is this deer jumped my string.

How to I get this wonderful piece of hunting equipment toned down ??

I was going to get my wife a Vixen....but...I am seriously thinking of not doing so due to this noise issue...

I see things on line posts. like....do not shoot at a nervous deer etc... seriously ? whitetails in northern michigan are on edge 24/7 !!

Please...anyone...help my learning curve along here !!!
MADMAX2

Re: Noise Help - Please !!

Post by MADMAX2 »

Try a gun!! :D Must be a special deer to do that at 20yrds!
Last edited by MADMAX2 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The best things in life are not things!!
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

tell us more bout your ibex.... scope ?
did the arrow go under the deer @20yrds ?
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
BigNasty

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Post by Tom »

A few years ago there was posted a great thread (with all the data behind it) about string jump and noise from the bow.

It is almost impossible for a deer to jump out of the way of an arrow at 20 yards just from the sound of the string. There is just not enough time for the deer to do that. If your arrow was dead on target, deer quartering away, then the time of the arrow to reach the target, subtract the reaction time of the deer from sound and there would not be time for the deer to get totally out of the way of the arrow. At 30 yards there is the possibility (from the math numbers) that a deer could react in time to jump the string, but IMHO the deer would still have to be alert and looking at you (reacts to sight of movement of limbs rather then noise). 35 yards and further is more probable.

BTW, even if you quiet the bow down to absolute quiet, the arrow still makes a loud noise in flight ans is coming right at the deer, they will react to that too. There must have been another factor involved in your miss like a unseen twig, missed shot, arrow not seated properly against the string on the rail. Just keep your shots close like you did and you will be successful more times then not.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm betting a buck at 20 yards can't "jump the string" (react to the noise) in time to avoid a good hit.

Was it looking at you?
If so it reacted to the movement of the limbs, not the noise!

I've shot a good many deer with crossbows and only had one react (move) before the arrow reached it (at just over 30 yards). In hindsight I believe it saw the limbs flash forward and was reacting to sight, not the noise.
wabi
BigNasty

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

thats why i question for further details...
cud be wrong dot used. and at that distance and speed
it should have made impact if it was dead on or moved down or up.
critters go down first when they "jump", unless there cocked and ready :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Boo

Post by Boo »

There is no crossbow that a deer will not hear. Deer even react to my Hoyts that are quieter than the most quiet crossbow. On the other hand I've shot and missed a deer with a 12 gauge slug gun and had them just stand there. No 2 shots are identical and you just cannot predict 100% what a deer will do on a shot.
My favorite shot to take is the deer raking away, head down eating or putting their nose to the ground. I have yet so see them react to the shot but sooner or later I know one will.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Been there done that yes they will jump the string once in a while i have saw
one swing to the right and the arrow miss while watching
through the scope at 40 yards. I aim low to help allow for the drop. I shot one last week a perfect broadside
shot at 20 yds I aimed really low behind the shoulder
and hit the deer behind the rib cage and the arrow came out behind the shoulder on the other side (a quartering
away shot) they will move.
Aim low and if they don't jump you will get them ( also a better blood trail) and if they do jump at 20 yds. you will have a better chance.
Aim Low.
Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

As far as the noise, you've already done 2 of the things I did.... string stops and limbsaver pads on the limbs. You may want to get a Boo string with served on catwhiskers. Boo's strings are a little thicker than regular strings and the catwhiskers help take more of the "twang" out of the string.

As for jumping the string at 20 yds and totally missing, it sounds unlikely. They might react to the shot, but not enough to totally miss from that distance. From the time the arrow left the bow to the time it reached the deer, only 0.2 second passed (at 300 fps). A deer is fast, but it's not THAT fast. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

What Tom said . . .I have to disagree with the limb reaction theory too, still not enough time to react at 20 yards. Not with an Ibex . . .maybe a much slower bow . . . .and a very heavy arrow . . .and a head start.

Keep hunting and focus on your technique when aiming at a deer.

I'm in favor of a "buck fever" theory. I may have had that virus a few weeks ago . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Tough crowd, eh? :mrgreen: Heck of a 1st post. Do yourself a favor, and look for another cause for your miss.

Since you said you were new to xbows, trust me, they sound louder than they actually are, something about having your cheek on the stock.
also put small limb saver rubber silencers on the limbs.
You're spotting the deer fps. How much depends on brand and location of them.

Get back in the saddle. :D
"Eze 18:21"
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I did have that experience one time of one "jumping the string" at approximately 20 yards so it can be done. However, it is going to be rare.

I find many folks new to crossbows hate the noise and think it will bother the deer. Well, have you ever hunted with a recurve or longbow? Very quiet things they are....but deer will still "jump the string."

I fondly recall the days before compound bows and how we used to go to all sorts of actions to "quiet" our bows and arrows. Even the arrow sliding across the rest can spook a deer. Does anyone even consider that we could get a crossbow as quiet as a recurve or longbow? I think not. I also learned to pay no mind to the noise. I do nothing to quiet my exomag and it can still shoot deer very well.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

My favorite string silencers are home made with yarn. They are simple to make, work very well and I had the same POI after installing them. Look it up on you tube.
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string