When Do You Replace Rope Cocking Aid?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PA_DeerHunter

When Do You Replace Rope Cocking Aid?

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

I have been using the same rope cocking aid for 2 years now, and thousands of shots...so many shots that grooves have actually formed from cocking the crossbow so many times. These grooves have formed on the inside of each hook, where the hooks ride alongside the rail as the string is drawn back. I am wondering if the hooks are getting weaker, and if you're supposed to replace the cocking aid at some point in its life. Is there any rule of thumb for when to replace it, or am I good for thousands of more shots?
wabi

Re: When Do You Replace Rope Cocking Aid?

Post by wabi »

Just snapped the hooks off one last week and it was a shock when it happened. The aid was a Horton brand, but the hooks were the same shape as Excalibur's from the time frame when I purchased it (8 or 10 years old).
I had never really paid attention to the hooks, so I'm not sure if they were showing wear. :roll:

I'd replace it if in doubt of it's strength!

The result of mine breaking was very similar to a dry-fire. :shock:
No damage to me or the Phoenix, but it was tough on my nerves. :wink:
wabi
AvianQuest

Post by AvianQuest »

Good question. I just took delivery on my Vortex and I've only shot it 15 times as of this writing. But it became apparent to me that should the rope cocker get lost or malfunction that I'm out of business until I can find another one which isn't a good option if it happens while I'm so deep in Texas' Big Thicket that Big Foot won't even go there.

So, I ordered a 2nd one from "Cheaper Than Dirt" and it's due to be delivered tomorrow.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

AvianQuest wrote:Good question. I just took delivery on my Vortex and I've only shot it 15 times as of this writing. But it became apparent to me that should the rope cocker get lost or malfunction that I'm out of business until I can find another one which isn't a good option if it happens while I'm so deep in Texas' Big Thicket that Big Foot won't even go there.

So, I ordered a 2nd one from "Cheaper Than Dirt" and it's due to be delivered tomorrow.
Best to have two bows and 2 rope cockers. That way we have a spare everythng. :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

AvianQuest wrote: But it became apparent to me that should the rope cocker get lost or malfunction that I'm out of business .
Not quite out of business, try cocking it by hand. Excal never had rope cocker till the mid 2000, I think. I cocked and uncocked mine by hand thousands of times from 1991-2006.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

enormous wrote:Not quite out of business, try cocking it by hand. Excal never had rope cocker till the mid 2000, I think. I cocked and uncocked mine by hand thousands of times from 1991-2006.
:shock: Call me a panzy, but I'm not going to try that with a 225 lb Equinox. :wink: :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

enormous wrote:
AvianQuest wrote: But it became apparent to me that should the rope cocker get lost or malfunction that I'm out of business .
Not quite out of business, try cocking it by hand. Excal never had rope cocker till the mid 2000, I think. I cocked and uncocked mine by hand thousands of times from 1991-2006.
I have seen a few pictures of you Enormous and im sure if i ever saw you and a Grizzly in a fight my money would be on you :wink:
Mechanical Advantage

Post by Mechanical Advantage »

I have one of the original rope cockers when they first came out. The hooks were made of aluminum and were heavy duty with the same brass pulleys as the new ones. The handles were lawnmower pull handles and said Briggs and Stratton! This is something that Excal seems to have reduced the quality of.