purchasing a cross bow for the first time

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

darthcaedus

purchasing a cross bow for the first time

Post by darthcaedus »

have done the research and decided on the excalibur cant decide on the equinox or the vortex keep in mind the is my first bow purchase ever and im in Michigan
Last edited by darthcaedus on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
AvianQuest

Re: purchasing a cross bow for the first time

Post by AvianQuest »

I was looking at the Equinox, but after reading the following, I found that the Vortex would be the better choice for my height...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/content/display/select
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Where are you located?

I would go to a shop try a few out first.
Take into account amount of shooting you are going to do,string wear and repair.
Many who have started with the big boys have slowly stepped back to a lower lb bow like myself.Did a 3d shoot with a few guys and by the end I was feeling it and the guys with the big ones were feeling it even more.
Many deer taken with the 150 lb

No wrong choice just be sure it fits all of your needs
Tenpoint Matrix
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

That is correct . Depends on what are you going to chase . If going for the odd swamp donkey then bigger badder is what you need . But if going for rabid hamsters then smaller is okay . :)
Also take into account where you may go to hunt . There is some states that have a 200 pound limit .
Generally the Vortex/Exocet fits most peoples needs .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum!
Both those bows are great bows and will serve you well. If you are able to shoot both before buying that would be great. I have the Vortex and like it very much. The 200 pounders pack more than enough punch to get the job done. Good luck choosing and happy hunting to you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I've got an Equinox, but if I had it to do over, I'd probably get a lighter one. The first deer I shot with it was a doe that was quarting toward me at 20 yds. The arrow went in between the neck and shoulder and came out the opposite back leg. I shot completely through the deer, long-ways. :shock: That's a little overkill. :wink:

I'm going to be getting another Excalibur before too long for my boy. When I do, I'm planning on getting him an Ibex. It's one of the shortest and lightest Excal models, and even at 175 lbs, will be more than enough for deer. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
darthcaedus

Post by darthcaedus »

Thanks I'm in Michigan what's the stoping power of the two and how it's shooting from an elevated position?
AvianQuest

Post by AvianQuest »

darthcaedus wrote:
Thanks I'm in Michigan what's the stoping power of the two and how it's shooting from an elevated position?
Bows don't have "stopping power" as such. They kill by hemorrhage, not by shock. You gain very little in flatter trajectory or the ability to shoot through a deer at speeds higher than 240 fps. For moose, elk, brown bear, etc., more speed would be a plus.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've used a 150# Vixen, a 175# Exocet, and currently a 175# Phoenix on whitetail. All deer shot have been pass-throughs with both 1 3/4" cut mechanicals and currently 1 1/8" cut fixed blade heads. 2 shots out of the total I've killed (haven't kept count but probably somewhere between 20 & 30 deer) failed to exit completely because they hit the front leg bone on the far side, but they went through the body leaving entry & exit wounds. (both did come out as the deer ran off)

Any Excalibur hunting bow (Vixen through Exomax) will have plenty of power for deer if you use a good broadhead and put it where it should go. 8)

As long as it says Excalibur on one of the stickers and you're happy with the stock design you made the right choice. :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
BBDOWN

Post by BBDOWN »

I have the equinox it's an all around bow from the biggest to the smallest of game. You need to get whats right for you,if you can shoot the bows try 2 or 3 before you make up your mind. Whats right for me may not be good for you,but any excal you get will be the best bow you can purches. Ive shot almost all of them and there is'ent one I don't like. My 12 yr old can shoot mine very well and he's not that tall, cocks it himself. Good luck with your new bow whatever you get you won't be unhappy :D
deerman

Post by deerman »

Just make sure it is a Excalibur, dont be like my brother and not listen :D
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
strum

Post by strum »

deerman wrote:Just make sure it is a Excalibur, dont be like my brother and not listen :D
hey that should be a slogan :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I went with the Vortex. It had plenty of power for the hunting I do and it was a little easier to cock and a tad more quiet. I'd also been told it would have a longer string life. The lower price was just an added bonus.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

For the most part with any of the bows it just comes down to how far do you want to bury your arrow in the dirt on the other side . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
frisky

Post by frisky »

Doe Master wrote:For the most part with any of the bows it just comes down to how far do you want to bury your arrow in the dirt on the other side . :)

Saturday my 175 lb Phoenix did a pass through and buried the arrow 6 inch in the dirt, with a mechanical! :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting