A big Buck that Leaves NO Sign???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

A big Buck that Leaves NO Sign???

Post by DanO »

Well as I'm picking my spot to sit down yesterday to wait for a deer. I get hissed at by a deer. When I finally get a peak at the "deer", it's the buck of my dreams! I didn't even know this monster was in the area code!!! No sign at all in the area. Course he won't make that mistake again. It was opening day of shotgun and he was quickly vacating the other side of the bushlot. Traveling downwind in a hurry. Wish I'd have sat down 5 minutes earlier.

Why would a big buck leave virtually no sign? No scrapes, rubs etc. Is he unchallenged in his area?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
OkXbowHunter

Re: A big Buck that Leaves NO Sign???

Post by OkXbowHunter »

He could be a transient buck. When the rut kicks in, some bucks, especially those that have been "kicked out" of their home areas take to traveling to find receptive does. Tracking studies have shown that some mature bucks travel up to 5 miles a day looking for a "hot" doe. They know where all the doe groups hang out and will usually scent check those areas as they're passing through.

I'm betting this is what happened to you. Either that or he lives in an adjacent wood lot and just got caught out when the Sun came up. Sometimes when you're out partying all night with the girls you can be a few hours late getting home! :twisted:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

This is common in my area. I rarely find rubs or scrapes hunting in big woods and swamps. I never worry about it, I know they are about.
In the Wind.......
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Yeah, he was probably just passing through. I don't know how many pictures I have of different deer from the cameras, where I'll get maybe 1-2 pictures of a particular buck and then that's it.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
gogo

Post by gogo »

Don't fret, our area holds some big bucks and there are very few signs that they are there. Finding a scrape or a rub is next to impossible. The big buck you seen may be the dominate one in your woods, hang in there he may come back if not another big buck may take his place. With the rut on anything goes. Hope you get another crack at him good luck.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

That's the best thing about the rut; strangers like your buck can show up anywhere, anytime. He was doing his "swing" through your area, cruisin' for babes. Unless another hunter gets him in the mean-time, he'll pass through at least once more before the rut is over.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
rayman

Post by rayman »

I have a couple of spots I've hunted for several years that may be tore up with scrapes and rubs, or may be very little buck sign, but always likely spots to see a buck.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks guys. He showed up right after opening day blasting and he did have does with him. Boy do they listen when the big boy hisses. They quietly wheeled and followed him. I had a shot at about 80 yards through some small cover but it's really hard to take the bowhunter out of the hunter. I find myself waiting for the shot I'd take with the bow. :oops:
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
rayman

Post by rayman »

DanO wrote:I find myself waiting for the shot I'd take with the bow.
Not a bad thing Bro.