HELP! Infection in meat - is any safe to consume?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Re: HELP! Infection in meat - is any safe to consume?

Post by Hi5 »

Mary had a little lamb,

One day her lamb did sicken,

So they sent it of to Packing Town

And now it's labled chicken.

If there is a wound that is the obvious source of infection, it's no big deal. Just cut away the good parts and discard the rest.

An animal that shows no external wound may be another matter. It might be a sick animal. Still, I'd be less worried about eating well cooked meat than getting infected from handling raw meat and not using gloves. There's a lot more reason for concern of being harmed by infection travelling from raw meat to a break in your own skin.

TSE is a whole nuther matter. Cooking doesn't destroy that stuff. However, if you know the animal was infected from an external injury there's no reason to worry about TSE, and cooking will destroy bacteria and viruses.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
rayman

Post by rayman »

I've killed or seen numerous deer and hogs with wounds from gunshots or from fighting. Also sick looking animals with no visible wounds. If the animal appears to be in poor health, I drag it off somewhere. If it looks fine other the wound, use everything but the piece with the wound.

one shot scott wrote:leonk wrote:

that's what I said in not so many words

Proof that your a smart guy

The more info the better. I found it interesting that internal organs may show signs. I think moni is ok to trim out the infected tissue. imagine the things we eat that we cannot see in an otherwise healthy animal.
My Dad said he went to a big butcher house where they made hot dogs once when he was in FFA in High School. Said he couldn't eat hot dogs for years after that.
bucont

Post by bucont »

TPM wrote: (you know, like the ones she's seen on TV. :lol:) .
Ouch! :lol:
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

bucont wrote:
I have to admit, Tim was logged in at the time and I posted that one for him with him looking over my shoulder. :oops:

We laugh a lot in our house! It's all good. :D :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bucont

Post by bucont »

Laughter is good for the soul.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Tom

Post by Tom »

VixChix wrote:
bucont wrote:
I have to admit, Tim was logged in at the time and I posted that one for him with him looking over my shoulder. :oops:

We laugh a lot in our house! It's all good. :D :D :D
Congrats on your deer. I was happy to read your success because everyone at Boo Fest said that if you did not get one this year they were going to take a pic of you standing behind a 3D target :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry I know what happened at Boo Fest was to stay at Boo Fest :oops: )

Now back to your deer, I believe that you did the right thing is keeping some of your meat. A few years ago we had a moose with green meat (actually a green pus). We cut out a large section and took it directly into the local MNR which sent it in for testing. They told us to cut away all the bad looking meat, then cut away a few more cm for good cause and then finish processing. The end result was it had been hit with a bullet before (probably a year ago) and the bullet was still there and the body was fighting the foreign object, this is why there was a green pus. THE REST OF THE MEAT WAS SAFE TO EAT

Glad we did not throw the rest of the meat away.

Again Congrats on the deer as I did not want to see a PIC of you standing behind a hanging 3D target with an arrow in it :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've kept meat like that before, but, still had trouble eating it. So, I gave it away . . .good news . . .nobody died.

It you can get the mental image out of your head, it's fine.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen