11 Acre 8 Pointer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigKidLovesBows

11 Acre 8 Pointer

Post by BigKidLovesBows »

I harvested this dandy buck off the back timber of my parent’s 11 acre tree farm. I feel silly admitting that I almost wrote-off hunting this location due to its relatively small size and familiarity, while failing to immediately notice it for being the great deer habitat that it is based on its surrounding geography and food sources. Honestly, 11 acres just didn’t seem big enough to guarantee exciting hunting. Well, this was one of the many green-horn brain farts that I suffered in my first year of hunting deer and I’m happy to say that I eventually saw through my own naivety. :oops:

A few weeks ago a series of scrapes and rubs appeared out of nowhere. With the pre-rut happening, I kept eye and sniffer on these scrapes to find that they were staying active and being refreshed every 3 to 4 days. This is the point at which I started to get some exciting and possibly unrealistic mental imagery. :shock:

On Nov 1st I had that good feeling. I took my climber out to the back timber and got set-up around 3:30. I positioned myself in a tree about 15 yards from the one of the larger scrapes with the wind mostly in my favor. From my stand I could see the thickets in the prairie beyond the timber in which I now imagined as the lair of a big elusive buck. :D

After settling in for an hour or so I let out a few soft grunts on the grunt tube. After 15 minutes of watching and waiting I let out a few more grunts… A few minutes later and after having panned the scenery far and wide I brought my eyes back to the area of the scrape…There he stood 25 yards in front of me. I hadn’t seen him walk in. It was like he popped up out of the ground. I could hardly believe my eyes. My heart started pumping so hard that I was afraid he would bust me by it. It was surreal. After getting my breathing under control and giving myself a little pep talk, I started hunting for my opening. He seemed calm but alert as he slowly closed the next 10 yards. He stopped and stood facing me for what seemed to be an eternity. He kept sniffing the air and darting his eyes towards every background noise, but he had no idea I was there. As this unfolded, I remembered feeling very blessed just to be so close to this awesome animal. I would have enjoyed just watching him.

He then stepped to his left and momentarily gave me the perfect broadside shot only to take another step behind a cluster of brush. “Man, I should have stopped him right there with a little grunt!” I thought. Even though he was standing perfectly broadside and there seemed more space than branch between me and his vitals, I knew better than to loose and arrow and risk a deflection. Seeing that if he took another three steps he would be mostly clear of the bushes I decided the lock the top triangle in my Lumizone onto the area where the bush began to thin in anticipation and hope that his next few steps will lead him there. And wouldn’t you know it; he just stood behind the bush. He stood there for so long that I had to lower my Equinox once to rest my fatiguing arm. I certainly had the luxury of just watching him for a while. :lol:

After what seemed to be many minutes he took one step, and then another as his shoulder began to emerge into an opening in the bush twigs. He took another step forward and left and presented me with a slightly quartering away shot through an opening in the fading density of twigs. I felt the wave of adrenalin wash over me as touched the trigger and watched the Firenock flash just for a moment then disappear as the buck exploded out of the immediate area. I watched him run away and to my right about forty yards when I remembered what forum member Ninepointer wrote about recently stopping a fleeing buck with a grunt call. I quickly grabbed my grunt tube, let out a shaky grunt just in time to stop him in plain sight at about 60 yards from my stand. (Thanks for the tip, Ninepointer!) As he stood looking back in my direction I grunted again hoping to keep his attention. He continued to stare back at me as he began to wobble. Moments later he went down in the patch of prairie grass with only his antlers still visible above the brown grass. A few minutes later I watched his eight points make their final dips and sink into the prairie.

Last edited by BigKidLovesBows on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryM

Re: 11 Acre 8 Pointer

Post by GaryM »

Congrats on your nice Iowa deer. I live on 6 acres and have killed some good bucks right behind my house. Gary
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

Congratulations!! I got one running around here that looks just like that. I can't seem to find him though.....
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice!! That right there is a real nice deer. Congratulations. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
BigKidLovesBows

GaryM wrote:Congrats on your nice Iowa deer. I live on 6 acres and have killed some good bucks right behind my house. Gary
Thanks, Gary! That's good to know! I was hoping that this wasn't a one time thing... I actually watched another eight pointer make some rubs two nights ago.
BigKidLovesBows

Gewehrhund wrote:Congratulations!! I got one running around here that looks just like that. I can't seem to find him though.....
Thanks a lot! I hope you find him!
BigKidLovesBows

j.krug wrote:Nice!! That right there is a real nice deer. Congratulations. :)
Thanks a lot! This is my first buck! I'm really pleased with him. He sure is tasty! :D
maple

Post by maple »

Congratulations on the fine buck!!

11 acres can hold many bucks by the sound of it.

Maple
BigKidLovesBows

maple wrote:Congratulations on the fine buck!!

11 acres can hold many bucks by the sound of it.

Maple
Thanks, Maple!

It seems so... :oops:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Nice! Nothing like your own land. Find a nice little spot and setup a natural food plot now and keep them coming for years to come. Happy planting. :) :)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on connecting with that beautiful buck!

Looks like 11 acres is enough! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
BigKidLovesBows

wheelie wrote:Nice! Nothing like your own land. Find a nice little spot and setup a natural food plot now and keep them coming for years to come. Happy planting. :) :)
Thanks! Oh for sure. About twenty years ago we planted thousands of oak saplings as part of a local reforestation program. It was an awesome family project. The trees that remain are now bearing acorns yearly and of course the deer love them. There have been some health challenges in my family over the past ten years that have left some of the properties best deer attracting neglected like the apple orchard that needs a prunin'. I need to do some research on other food plot crops. Any personal favorites other than acorns and apples that you or anyone else could recommend? Are there food plot crops that are hardy enough to withstand winters in the midwest? Thx
BigKidLovesBows

VixChix wrote:Congrats on connecting with that beautiful buck!

Looks like 11 acres is enough! :D
:lol: Yep! I feel stupid for thinking otherwise but I guess we're all learning as we go. By the way, congrats on your first buck! I enjoyed reading your story.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

BigKidLovesBows wrote:A few minutes later and after having panned the scenery far and wide I brought my eyes back to the area of the scrape…There he stood 25 yards in front of me. I hadn’t seen him walk in. It was like he popped up out of the ground. I could hardly believe my eyes.
It never ceases to amaze me how whitetails have the ability to do that. Congratulations on a fabulous buck!
BigKidLovesBows wrote:I watched him run away and to my right about forty yards when I remembered what forum member Ninepointer wrote about recently stopping a fleeing buck with a grunt call. I quickly grabbed my grunt tube, let out a shaky grunt just in time to stop him in plain sight at about 60 yards from my stand. (Thanks for the tip, Ninepointer!)
Knowing that trick worked for you just made my day! :D
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount