range finder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

coors

range finder

Post by coors »

I bought a tasco range finder from Canadian Tire last week and a friend of mine from work was telling me the range my be different from my tree stand to ground,is this true or not?
bucknbill

Re: range finder

Post by bucknbill »

slightly different..from the base of tree it may read 20 for example but from your stand in tree to target it may be 21 or 22 depending how high you are..i hunt 15 to 18 feet up so it,s not a problem to me..just range and shoot :D
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

There is a slight difference. I think its more of a marketing gimic myself. Good Luck on your hunt.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Since it has been a very long time since I was in School (actually learning :lol: :lol: ), I will not try to give you the math to prove the point.

It is like a triangle, where one side (side opposite the 90* angle) is longer then the others. But it is really not a problem. You will not have a direct, true distance from your shooting spot to the animal, rather then distances from the base of the tree to certain spots. For archery distances, there will only be about 1 or 2 feet different so just shoot and enjoy.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Yeah,they have ranger finders that have angle compensation. But all you have to do once in your tree is to get the range to certain landmarks suchs as other trees,& get an idea where certain landmarks are.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
koko

Post by koko »

When I am up in a tree, instead of ranging them down at the ground I range them at a height directly across from me at the same height as I am in the tree. But pending on terain that is not always possible.
2010 Equinox
Boo string with cat whiskers
camo munchmount
Big John GT III arrows
with 100 grain 3 blade meat seekers
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Tom wrote:Since it has been a very long time since I was in School (actually learning :lol: :lol: ), I will not try to give you the math to prove the point.

It is like a triangle, where one side (side opposite the 90* angle) is longer then the others. But it is really not a problem. You will not have a direct, true distance from your shooting spot to the animal, rather then distances from the base of the tree to certain spots. For archery distances, there will only be about 1 or 2 feet different so just shoot and enjoy.
Here's the math: you need to use the Pythagorean theorum where A squared + B squared = C squared. Side C will be the shot you've ranged, so the distance from the tree to the shot squared + the distance up the tree squared will equal your shot distance squared. Using this math, you can figure out the distance from the tree base to your target (the actual shot distance). I have an angle compensating range finder and, as others have stated, it doesn't make much more than a 2-3 yard difference out to 40 yrds. if your stand is 20ft up.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

It is true but at archery distances it is minimal and not enough to worry about.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads