Guess I'm Done Now....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Guess I'm Done Now....

Post by Big58cal »

Took Friday off work to sight the little Marlin 1894-S in with the 300 grain .45 Colt +P loads, which didn't take but 4 shots. Figured since it was half way decent, I'd clean the leaves up out of the front yard. When I was dumping a load of leaves, I twisted wrong and tweeked my back a little. Not good since Saturday was our opening day of gun season. Even though my back was hurting pretty bad, I went ahead and got up a 4:00 AM, got dressed and drove down to the farm. Kept having to take some pain killers to stay out there today. :(

My brother was "supposed to" come in but apparently he's soft up there in Wisconsin and decided not to. Supposedly, he hurt his back and couldn't come in for the early muzzleloading season, and when I sent him a text Friday morning, he said that he hurt his back again and wouldn't be coming in. :roll: Since he wasn't going to come in, I decided to hunt where he normally hunts. I hadn't hunted it this year so I figured I'd give it a try. Sat there until about 10:30 this morning and all I saw was about 8 turkeys.

There was 6 longbeards and 2 jakes in the bunch. The longbeards were just that. They had about 8-10" beards. The pictures aren't that great because my little camera is a POS and the turkeys were around 50 yards away.

Anyway, after sitting there until about 10:30 and not seeing anything, I said the heck with that spot and walked on over to where I normally hunt at. Got to my little blind around 11 AM and sat for the rest of the day.

The scent wafers you see hanging are because the wind was swirling today. It's best to have a North or NW wind when hunting the area, but there was a SW wind today about half the time. The other time, it was mainly comng from the NW, but was swirling around quite a bit. I had several scent wafers at the bind hoping that the scent would help cover my scent (even though I had sprayed down with some Silver XP to help cover the scent).

I sat there all afternoon and didn't see jack until about 5:10 PM this afternoon.
I had a little deer come in different than they normally come. I kept hoping that one would come in from one of the other directions, because the wind kept messing with me in that direction. We're only allowed 1 antlered deer in KY, so all I could shoot was an antlerless since I got the buck in October with the crossbow. Anyway, the deer started coming in, but would throw it's head up and smell every now and then. I could tell the thing had gotten my wind, but with ithe way it was swirling, it couldn't tell exactly where i was. I should have known that since the thing didn't bolt and start blowing that it was a stupid little button buck. :lol: Anyway, with the little 2.5X scope, I couldn't see the buttons and it kept it's head tilted back smelling as it came it. Finally he got in a spot where I could get a shot. The little .45 Colt +P load was sent on it's way. The deer ran back the way it came, but stopped and dropped after about 80 yds. The deer was quarting toward me, so to save the meat on the shoulder, I aimed a little further back to stay away from it. Took out the lungs and the liver.

Nothing like a good blood trail, that you don't really need. After the shot, he ran off and I watched him fall.

A short little drag down hill to the food plot where I could get the 4 wheeler to him and my season is pretty much done.

I "can" get another antlerless tag (good for 2 antlerless deer) and keep hunting, but I'm not sure if I will or not. :? The population down there crashed 2-3 years ago and is just now getting back up. I don't want to overharvest the area, but I may still get another tag (and my turkey tag :twisted: ) and go back with the Excalibur to see what I can find.

I had hoped to let him hang overnight, but when I was coming back up here, I checked the weather on my phone. It wasn't supposed to get out of the 50's all night. :x Got him skinned, quartered, deboned, and soaking out in a cooler of ice water. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Dereck

Re: Guess I'm Done Now....

Post by Dereck »

That is great spot you have there

Congrats
Tenpoint Matrix
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Sorry to hear about your back! THAT WILL TEACH YOU TO DO YARD WORK DURING HUNTING SEASON :shock: What were you thinking? :roll:

Glad to see that you were able to get out and put some meat in the freezer though! Good going!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your deer!! :D :D
Ditto on the yard work thing...get a grip man, it's HUNTING SEASON!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to hunt gun season with a .45 Colt revolver. Dropped several deer with that gun when my eyes were still good enough to see the sights.
wabi
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Great story. We needed that around here. Congrats and take care of that back. :wink:
masboy

Post by masboy »

congrats! good hunt enjoyed it good reading.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on finishing your season! Nice when a plan comes together.

Great walk-up photo series!

Now forget about yard work and go get yourself some turkey! :D :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice deer there and that looks like a real nice spot to hunt. Glad you where able to tuff it out and get a deer down. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Great pics, congrats 58!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Thanks folks! :wink: The way I look at it, those little ones help improve your accuracy because of smaller aiming points and smaller vitals. :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

This one ought to be "right tastey". :D

My back is getting better. Guess I should have just stayed in the house and took a nap Friday instead of messing with the leaves. :lol:

bigsy

Post by bigsy »

sweet!!!!
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Congratulations !! and the story and pics were great.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Where the turkeys came down the hill, is usually where I turkey hunt at in the spring. It's a natural strutt zone for them. :wink:

Not really relavent to anything, but below are a couple of pictures around the blind, with the position of the deer marked on them.

Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congrats!
Crispy