Deer vocalizations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Deer vocalizations

Post by Farmer »

Just a dumb question , heard a different sound while hunting the stand I spotted the bruiser I wrote about earlier . Had 2 doe decoys set up . Did not see any deer . But I heard a sound that reminded me of a frog croaking . I went on a number of times behind me . 40 minutes or so later I heard the same sound in front of me in another thick fence row .

Was / Is this some sort of deer / buck grunt ? Have not heard to much deer vocalization in the past so any help is appreciated.
agingcrossbower

Re: Deer vocalizations

Post by agingcrossbower »

Could it have been a frog croaking. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry could'nt help it. Very bad. I am wondering if it was a fox or coyote. I've had them make some strange sounds trying to call them in at night. Just a thought, I could be way off base.
gogo

Post by gogo »

It's funny you say that because I hear that sound quite often.We hunt woods between soya fields, there is a lot of ponding water there so I assumed there were frogs in the water. I also here cricket like sounds coming from the soya fields maybe its the soya bean cracking out of the pods, don't know for sure. Strange sounds for sure.
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Coulda been a buck grunt. I had a little 6 behind my stand this morning that grunted twice about 5 mins apart. Sounded a bit like the single note of a bullfrog croak but softer and shorter.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Deer do Burp and clear their throat and cough much like we do
masboy

Post by masboy »

I heard a buck make a noise the other day that sound almost like a croaking or a grunt and groan . he was chasing a doe and looked tired and wore out.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Dont hear very well but have heard bucks grunt a few times. Have also heard does make a sick "bbbbbaaaahhhh" sound after having been shot. Never sounded like a frog croaking though. Bucks grunting and turkeys gobbling both seem to be on a certain waive-length that I can barely hear. :?
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Did not have my hearing aids in this am. But it sure as heck sounded like a frog croakin to me . Would a buck or doe make multiple grunts - 4 -5 pause and repeat . Wish I had turned my video camera on so you could hear the sound for yourselves . I has me stumped ( which seems to be happening more often and a whole lot easier now that I am past 50 :? :lol: )
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Farmer I don't know if it could be a deer but i can tell you that I am still hearing frogs where I hunt in the Essex area. It's been so mild that they are still playing in the ditches where I hunt.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

I saw two frogs and heard frogs croaking last week while hunting in Ontario 92B. This was in a dried up swamp area.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Tree frog croaks higher pitched, short and tend to be timed-occur at the same rate-the intervals in between croaks is affected by air temperature, also noticed they start about the same time of day here (5:45) here. (Can't help noticing, being biology major). Deer grunts sound more like human burp, tend to be short and irregularly spaced-except when buck is tracking a hot doe, then almost every step when he's really hot and sounds like low volume pig grunts. They also tend to be a LOT less volume than most commercial call made sounds. Have heard deer vocalize number of times, esp contact calls between doe and fawn, never ceases to amaze me how well they hear.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
rayman

Post by rayman »

Cossack wrote:never ceases to amaze me how well they hear
Turkeys too!!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i did a web search for animal sounds and this was one of the sites it gave me, pretty kool....

http://www.findsounds.com/types.html

just find the kind of animal your looking for and click on it like deer....then click on each link to hear the sounds they make :wink: ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

Probably a raven.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

For sure not a raven in these parts , only big black birds we have a crows.