Hunting in the rain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

End of the road

Hunting in the rain

Post by End of the road »

The end of the season is only a few weeks off here in my part of British Columbia. I have been out for at least a little almost every day and I am just now starting to see some movement in the bucks. Long range weather forecast is for rain or snow almost every day for the next two weeks so if I want to get some meat in the freezer I now have to be out in the wet. I am looking for advice from you guys and girls that hunt in the rain. Other than drying the bow off when I get back and putting a little WD40 on the screws is there anything else I should do to care for the bow after it gets wet? How about care for the Verizone?

Any hints on hunting in the rain?
Riflemanz

Re: Hunting in the rain

Post by Riflemanz »

I hate hunting in the rain.If you have to i'd build a ground blind and then put a tarp over it so you don't get soaked or the bow.Snow is ok as you can see the deer better.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Keep your string waxed good! Also, if you can, a little pop-up blind is worth it's weight in gold during bad weather days. :wink:

I used to hunt in the rain, but stopped after I lost a deer because the blood trail got washed away. :x Since then, if it get's above a mist, I'm headed for the house. That's just me personally though. As I've gotten older I've noticed that I don't like to get cold and wet. :lol: I know all kinds of folks that still go out and hunt in the rain and don't have any issues.

Good luck!!! :D Get a good rain suit!
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I've had problems with my varizone wanting to fog up on me in the rain...even with scope covers on. :?
Best advice i can give is invest in some quality flip up covers for your scope.
Good luck & stay dry!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Pop-up ground blind.
I don't archery hunt in anything more than a light drizzle, though. No fun tracking when the blood is quickly washing away.
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I like the rain as a partner.. it helps you ,,,,smothers your scent, kills your entry noise..ground blind yes..or good rain gear...I use grim reaper or trophy ridge buckblasters in the rain..you need to open them up and drain the out for there is no tracking blood in rain..they should drop in about 50 yds approx.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
End of the road

Thanks for the advice. I am getting older too and no fan of being out in the rain or cold but I am still looking at an empty freezer and only a few weeks left. I am usually a walk and stalk but I think the pop up blind is a good idea.
rayman

Post by rayman »

I've had good luck on multiple occations in the past sitting in the truck, or at camp, and waiting for the rain to quit or slack up, and then going to the stand. Don't like to hunt in more that a light drizzle though. Me and a friend waited at camp for the rain to quit once. Finally quit an hour after daylight. Went out and both had a buck within about 30 min. Have to be carefull about getting lost in the wood when it's overcast and raining though. Been there done that. :)
End of the road

One thing about the west coast of Canada is that in the fall and winter if you wait for the rain to quit or slack up you'll be waiting until somewhere around July :lol:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Love the rain. Deer get relaxed not as suspicious. Take advantage of it. Need good rain gear tho. And dry off your bow , I use compressed air.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

If it is a lite rain I will spot and stalk. If its more than a drizzle I'm back in camp. With a cold one in my hand.
John
gab

Post by gab »

I live and hunt on Vancouver Island. When it is pouring rain I leave the crossbow at home and use a gun. I don't want to loose a deer because of the blood trail washing away.