Large Game Hunters!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuzzy

Re: Large Game Hunters!

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

fuzzy wrote:
CanuckBen wrote:From all of the thread titles and overall discussion in the forum, it’s quite clear (make that crystal clear!) that the very vast majority of the members are deer hunters. This can easily be explained simply by most of your home and hunting locations in Canada and in the US of course.

Wanted to put the feeler out there as to who else like me and my hunting partners are mostly, if not exclusively, large game hunters? By this I mean Moose, Elk, Caribou and / or Bear hunting?

I know there’s two or three, but is that it? I can’t be!! There is NOTHING that can compare to facing a 1000lbs+ Moose at 30yards from you 8)

Cheers
B

Moose, Elk and Caribou are some of the largest members of the "Cervidae" family. By exclusively hunting only them you can lower yourself into the vast majority of forum members as a "deer" hunter. :P :)
I was afraid some would take this as an snoobish comment towards deer-only hunting members of the forum, which wasn't the point of course :)

I'm still very supprised to not seeing any response from Elk hunters in the forum, seeing how very popular it is with the vertical bow community.

B
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
gab

Post by gab »

I bought my Exomax last July with the intention of hunting deer, moose and elk. So far, I have only hunted and harvested one deer; still trying to fill my second deer tag. Elk hunting on Vancouver Island where I live is by lottery only. In 20 years of entering the VI elk lottery, I have had no success. We have no moose on this island. Fortunately, we have general seasons for elk and moose on the mainland of BC, plus I also hunt in Alberta and generally am successful in getting an Alberta moose draw for the Lesser Slave Lake area. I didn't hunt Alberta this year because of spending most of my hunting budget on the Exomax. Next year, I hope to take a moose with the crossbow. We have lots of black bear on Vancouver Island (and the occassional grizzly that island hop from the mainland), but I don't eat them so leave them to those that do. I find myself dreaming of calling in a moose or elk nice and close and sending an arrow their way.
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

no moose here in ky. but we do have elk and i don't think i want to hunt them.for one they aren't real spooky yet more like cattle.we see them all the time.they were stocked a few years back and are starting to get more weary.and 2 i don't want to try to get one out of the hills.the last deer i got at 7:45 am and didn't get done with it untill 3:pm and i was wore out. :lol: :lol: :lol: but we do have a 2 day bear season and that does sound like fun?
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

hankenhunter wrote:
CanuckBen wrote:
hankenhunter wrote:Moose are fairly dumb and can be out smarted fairly easy
Hank - I think you're giving too much credit to what you're read online when it comes to Moose hunting!! They do have a poor eye sight, but they make that up with a very keen sense of smell ten folds over. Hunting methods are the same as deer hunting (can't say for hog as I've never been) - camo, scent, wind control, call, food plots, stealh, etc.

If you are rifle hunting, then much like for any other large game you can take them down at 400yards + if you wish too, but then the argument of a smart or fairly dumb animal is nul. Calling in a bull at 30yards from you for hrs on end, having a conversation with him, convincing a dominant bull to come in for a fight or to mate, making him decided to leave the current cow he has for a more attractive cow is no easy task - same goes for deer hunting, not discrediting that at all :D

Fairly dumb is a really long strech :wink: :mrgreen:
Hiya Ben.
I wasn't speaking from magazine or internet learning. I accompanied my father and his buddy moose hunting in Manitoba as a boy and hunted them myself when I was older. They would attract the bulls with hand calls and a set of antlers they made out of 1/4" plywood. They waved that plywood side to side and it never failed to bring them in. They also used a shoulderblade to beat the bushes and that worked well too. I found Black bears to be much harder to walk and stalk than moose. I would love to hunt moose in the yukon, but the cost of bringing my meat back is too costly. My wonderful wife is upgrading her nursing so I'll be hunting locally for the next year at least. In the mean time I will keep putting in for the draw. We have lots of moose here, you just have to go farther north to get them without the spike bull crap.
Hank
You are correct Hank - we use the same methods here when stalking in Moose and when done properly, as you father did, it usually doesn't fail. Which is pretty much the same as deer - some calls, some rattling, good wind, good scent control and before they know it, away the arrow goes! So we'll have to put them in the same boat i guess !! :mrgreen:

roland

Post by roland »

canuckben you write very good english if you are french I have cousins that are in quebec and they get moose most years. My dad and brother used to go there deer hunting almost every year and pay 200. for a none resident tag.I go there a couple times a year and visit my aunt she is my dad's twin sister he passed away at 80 and she will be 90 in feb. it is nice country we lived 30 miles from the vermont boarder
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Hey Roland

I am french yes - thank you for the compliment. Being fully bilingual opens up a lot of doors!

It's getting more and more expensive to hunt as a non-resident. A Quebec non-resident Moose tag is up to $349 now - compared to $57; Deer n-r tags are $279 - compared to $50, Caribou $340 - compared to $62…The prices are about the same for Ontario non-resident, perhaps a little bit more for the Moose tag.

Luckely for me, I do all my hunting in Quebec!

Cheers
B

CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

flhtcuse wrote:by CanuckBen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:37 am

This goes way...way..(way) beyond the range of xbow hunts, but has anyone here had the opportunity to draw a mountain goat hunting tag. I understand that they are very hard to get and take years in multiple draws to ever come close to being able to go on a hunting guide trip.

Don't need a draw where I live. Have an open season for us residents so can hunt them every year. Never tried with a bow. It's a hard enough hunt with a rifle but well worth it at least once in a lifetime. Will try to find a pic but was in pre-digital days.

Cheers..
Would love to hear more about those hunts Flhtcuse!

Look at these beautiful animals
http://www.superslam.org/know-your-game ... ntain-goat