Processing your own deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Processing your own deer

Post by Big58cal »

This is why I like to process my own deer. My brother last year shot a big doe during our gun season, but didn’t want to fool with processing it (his mistake). He took it to a place and dropped it off for them to skin, debone, and then take to a processor to have made into summer sausage and such. Since he lives out of state, I’m the one who gets to pick up his meat and store it in one of my freezers until he comes in. As a “handling and storage” fee, I usually take a couple packages of the stuff he had made. :wink: I usually take a little bit of meat down there to the place too, but it’s usually only around 20 lbs or so.

So anyway, I know processors don’t have the time to clean up the meat the way I do. Some places do just the bare minimum and that’s it. The place my brother took his deer to must have been one of the places that does just the bare minimum. :x

I got my meat back from the processor and it was delicious as usual. I tasted some of my brother’s summer sausage and it had a wild, fatty, taste to it. The way I look at it, it’s his own fault for being too lazy to skin and debone his own deer! :lol:

As an example of why I process my own deer, I took some pictures of some of the stuff while I was working up the button that I got last weekend.

One of the hams from the button buck

A large section of fat off of the ham.

A gland of some sort that is inside the fat.

Some of the cleaned up roasts

Scraps, fat, membranes, etc that gets taken off and pitched.

Another gland from one of the shoulders.

The smaller scrap pieces of meat, cubed up and ready for grinding.

The ground meat

And of course, ya’ gotta have something to clean up any little scrap pieces of meat that may “happen” to make their way to the floor. :roll: :wink:

With the meat, I take my time and get virtually every spec of fat off of it, plus any little pieces of crud and hair that may have gotten on the meat while field dressing or skinning. After skinning and deboning, I’ll put the meat in a cooler with ice water and keep it soaking. Daily, I’ll drain the water, grab a piece or two out of the cooler to work up, and then ice back down and fill the cooler up with water again. The process will get repeated daily until I get everything done up. Soaking the meat out gets a lot of the blood out and, I think anyway, gives the meat a better taste.

Out of a deer, I’ll make roasts out of the bigger pieces of meat in the hams, and then there’s the backstrap and tenderloins. All of the scraps and smaller pieces of meat from this will get ground. The rib cage I’ll cut into sections about 8” wide and freeze like that (man they’re awesome on the grill!). The meat from the neck and shoulders I’ll clean up, but freeze it like it is and eventually take down to the processor to have made into summer sausage, salami, brats, hot links, etc. We’re not real big on deer steaks and usually get our fill of that with the backstrap. The roasts we cook as roasts or cut up into cubes for vegetable soup or other things. The burger……… spaghetti sauce, chili, tacos, mix with a little hamburger and make burgers, etc.

By doing my own processing of the main parts, it saves me about $100 at least, the meat is super clean of any fat/hair/crud, and I know I’ve got MY meat once it’s done. With the processor I take the little bit of stuff to for sausage and such, I reason I use that guy is that he guarantees that each customer gets only their meat back. I’ve tried making summer sausage and it’s not the best in the world. This guy is much better. :wink:

Ya’ll get yourselves a vacuum sealer, a grinder, and “roll your own” too! :mrgreen:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
georgiaboy

Re: Processing your own deer

Post by georgiaboy »

I bought a nice grinder & have been doing my own for two years now...funny how i get more packages of ground out of a deer now!! :roll:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good style man!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mfh

Post by mfh »

I know exactly what you mean. I started processing y own a few years ago when I realized I was paying a lot - I mean a lot - for butchering and processing fees. At 475 to butcher, and $4 a pound for sausage (they mix in 50% pork) per pound on the RETURN as well as $10 a pound for jerky at finished weight...well, lets say one year we were in for over a grand.

Now, with the proper gear gained from craigslist and sale shopping, we do all our own sausage and jerky. And butchering our own meat..not funky tastes like we had on occasion before.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Big, I agree. You rop it off to some of these guys, and you get who-knows-whose deer back. I like to process it too - but lawdy it wears me out when I do! Then again, dragging it out of the woods does as well LOL I am not in the shape I use to be and my flaming LDLs are off the charts! BUT, what a way to go ;)
JRS

Post by JRS »

A lot can be said for processing your own deer. But, if time and/or space inhibit your ability to get the job done, a butcher may be necessary. As well, a lot of hunters don't want to be bothered doing it themselves.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

That's some nice processing. These days if I plan on eating it, I prefer to process it myself. Oh, those scraps don't get thrown away around my house. I package those up as well and write 'Doe Pop' on it and toss it in the freezer. Break one out in the middle of the summer when it is hot for your dog and they will love you for it.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

MarkMarine wrote:I like to process it too - but lawdy it wears me out when I do! Then again, dragging it out of the woods does as well LOL
Got that taken care of too. :wink:

That is unless they cross to the back side of that freaking ridge! Image

Yeah, it is a little bit of work. It usually takes me about a week to get one done up, but that's doing it in the afternoons/nights after I get off work.

Another thing with the ground meat, I use it for jerky. :wink: It's a whole lot easier to mess with being ground up. Got a dehydrator that does a pretty good job. I usually end up making about half of the ground meat into jerky each year.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

I wish I had a four-wheeler. Bout the closest I come is a little tractor LOL

I love jerky from ground meat - I have an LEM Jerky Cannon just for such occasions. The one thing that drives me crazy is trying to get all that gristly crap out of the meat. Marling on beef is desirable - on deer not so much! You know of a trick to make it easier bsides me sitting for hours trying my best with a knife?
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've always proccessed my own deer and other critters that I shoot also. Takes a little time but in the end I know exactly what I've got. Got to get me one of those nice grinders thought. My little hand crank jobby does the trick but it's a lot of handle crankin"!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We've had mixed experiences with butchers - one particularly awful one and some relatively ok ones.

But ever since we did our first on our own, we much prefer it! We can be picky and cut off all the fat and silver skin. Even the meat to be ground is cleaned up. I love having control over the cleanliness and quality.

My mother (the same dear lady who keeps hoping that I'll get hunting "out of my system" soon and "stop hanging out with all those men") bought me a grinder attachment for my KitchenAid mixer for grinding venison - works great!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
BigKidLovesBows

Post by BigKidLovesBows »

Cool post.

My wife and I butchered the 3 deer I harvested this year and had a great time doing it. This is also bit ironic because when we met over five years ago she wasn't really a red meat eater. She is now though! :lol: However, I couldn't convince her to try a little raw portion of the backstrap with me. I told her that it was no different than eating sushi... maybe next year. :lol: :mrgreen: She's a keeper.

My favorite part of butchering is pealing out those backstraps whole and popping out the sirloin tip (aka "foot ball roast"). My mouth starts watering at the thought.

Only thing we'll do differently next year is invest in a electric grinder. It's evident now that hand-grinding was the most exhausting/time consuming part of the whole process for us. Lesson learned.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i have what i do down to a science ya might say....last year the two full grown doe i got were boned and i was eating tenderlion snack 3.5 hours after the arrow was let loose on them both....as soon as i get the deer home it gets skinned as soon as possible and deboned of all meat....then in plastic shopping bags goes all the meat in sections of the deer....each rear hind quarter meat goes into a bag each, both backstraps go into a bag and both shoulders and all neck meat goes into last bag....then all bags go on the bottom shelf on a towel to catch blood in fridge for 5 days before i grab a bag a day to cut, wrap, freeze....everything gets cut into steaks and stew cubes after all fat and silver skin is taken off everything....both doe gave me 32 lbs of meat each.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

that's the only way to know what you have is to do it your self.i always have and when my buddy's found out they started bringing them to my house? we did 7 in 2 days and i had to put a stop to that. :lol: but now they now how and its really not hard just time consuming.the last one i got i shot at 10 till 8 and had it all done by 3 pm.3:30 if you count drinking a cup of coffee and taking off the bones and hide.but i did get him on the hill behind the house not much of a drag all down hill. :D
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i took ONE deer to get done some where and she weighed 180lbs dressed :shock: big doe....should have gotten bout 45lbs meat from her, got my box of meat a few days later and it only had 18lbs in it :evil: ....only time i ever had it done other then doing it myself out of 56 deer since 1982.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.