15 year old killed by another hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sopchoppy

15 year old killed by another hunter

Post by Sopchoppy »

Sitting here watching the news from Knoxville, Tn. A 15 year old boy, would have been 16 on Wednesday, was hunting with his Grandfather on his land. Another hunter , 66 YEARS OLD, on an adjoining property "saw movement in thick brush" , thought it was "an animal", and shot into the woods, killing the boy. Not one of the hunters was wearing Blaze Orange which is the law in Tennessee during gun season. As expected, the boy's family is devastated and needs prayers as does the other hunter. The boy's name is Devin.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Woody Williams

Re: 15 year old killed by another hunter

Post by Woody Williams »

How sad...

Absolutely no excuse for shooting at something that "looked like an animal.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Prayers are sent. But what a shame that no one was wearing blaze orange and that one hunter shot at the bush. Wasted life, no need. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Raymond
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sad news for sure. It's never good to hear of a hunting accident, but it makes you wonder why they weren't wearing the required orange.
wabi
rayman

Post by rayman »

These things happen every year and it is such a terrible, needless trajedy. This issue is very close to me because when I was in college, my room mate was shot and killed by accident. Scott's 12-yr-old cousin shot him in the face with turkey shot at close range. His dad told me later that they left his truck in the woods for several weeks because none of them could bare to go get it.

With me and anybody I take hunting or fishing, safety is absolutely first. I have friends I don't hunt or fish with any more, or very rarely, because of safety conserns.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hunter orange or not it is the shooter's responsibilty to identify his target.

There are folks allowed in the woods that are not hunting and hunter orange is not required for them..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Woody Williams wrote:Hunter orange or not it is the shooter's responsibilty to identify his target.

There are folks allowed in the woods that are not hunting and hunter orange is not required for them..
I agree Woody, but there is always a possibility of not noticing a person behind the target and a bullet traveling through the deer.
I would wear a hunter orange jacket or vest in the woods this week (gun season here) even if I were not hunting. In years past I have tended traps during gun season and I DID wear orange when I was out! Even though there wasn't supposed to be any deer hunters on that farm, there's always the possibility of someone trespassing, whether intentional or accidentally.
wabi
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Prayers sent.

Makes me nervous during our Ontario Black-powder season as I have seen some carless behavior in the past. I feel much more at ease during Archery only season...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Is truly sad, Here in NC it is the same hunter orange during gun season unless you are landholder. With that being said i still wear orange because of nearby hunters on adjoining property.

I have even gone as far as my deer drag (snow sled) Is blaze orange and if not using it i have actually been known to take an orange ponchoe and put it over my harvest for the drag.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

:evil: :evil: 1Rst. rule-----IDENTIFY target
2nd. rule identify target
3rd. rule identify target Now that you'r BRAiN is in gear pull the trigger. NO exception' to rule # 4. Be safe in all you do;;;;;;;;;;;; see ya in the woods

Dave :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Cyclonic

Post by Cyclonic »

This is too sad.... And too frequent... If you don't KNOW, you should not squeeze...
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
peter p

Post by peter p »

What probably happens is people are so accustomed to seeing orange while hunting... so if they hear or see something moving in the bush and see no orange, to them it means its an animal.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Very sad to read of another hunting tragedy!! My thoughts are with all involved. :(
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

words cant express the way i feel about a kid getting shot by a hunter.... I dont know where to aim my anger, theres so many things that went so horribly wrong.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Two things I was always taught...

#1...IDENTIFY your target. That means to clearly see exactly what your target is...not a silhouette...but the full target!

#2...IDENTIFY what is BEYOND your target.

I quit going out during the controlled hunt here in Southern Ontario a number of years ago after having a slug impact a tree ten feet away from me when a group took a shot at a doe in a field and we were beyond that doe. We didn't take a shot, because we didn't have a doe tag. We were in orange and one would think that we would have been seen. But, according to the other group, they didn't see us (yeah...right).

Folks...putting a deer down to take pictures of and put meat in the freezer just isn't worth it. Remember, you can't call that bullet back. If you aren't completely sure of the shot and your backstop...you DON'T SHOOT.

As one who has heard the 'whizz' of a slug in flight...may I say that I never want to hear that sound again, especially when hunting, without the ability to return fire legally.