Equinox WOW!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Whopper Stopper

Equinox WOW!

Post by Whopper Stopper »

I spent late morning early afternoon shooting my new bow. It is certainly more accurate than I am. What do you people do to help steady the bow? When I shoot off hand I am poor at best. I went to using a Primos trigger stick and that made a world of difference. Does anyone mount a Bipod on their bows? or are there accessories for steadying the bow?

The only other thing that sure would help would be a better trigger. The creep is very hard for me to get use to after doing a lot of bench shooting with custom triggers. Is there anything that can be done with the stock trigger? I thought maybe the WD 40 would help but I can't say it does. Don't get me
wrong, this is a lot of fun. I just have always enjoyed trying to wring the most out of my equipment. I figured you people probably do too.

WS
Big58cal

Re: Equinox WOW!

Post by Big58cal »

Congrats on the new bow! You'll be surprised what those beasts are capable of! :wink:

As for steadying for the shot, I've seen people put bipods on some of them. Others use a monopod or bipod shooting sticks. Some even use old camera tripods. Some use the rails on/around their stands. I hunt on the ground and steady with my knees/legs. If shooting from a bench while practicing, just use a regular shooting rest or sand bags.

As for the trigger, I'll let others comment on that who have more knowledge about them than I do. I know there are some things that can be done, but since I don't really have first hand knowledge, I'll let someone else say. :wink:

Enjoy the Equinox.............. And make sure you don't shoot at the same spot twice before pulling arrows! :shock: :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

Welcome!

Regarding the "creep" in your trigger. I now do what someone on this great board recommended. After you cock the bow and put the safety "on" (again, put the safety "on"), you can take out the "creep" by squeezing the trigger a little with the safety "ON". Point the loaded bow in a safe direction when doing this, as you're never to trust a gun's or crossbow's safety.

Now, when you're ready to shoot, switch the safety "off" and see how much, if not all, of the creep is gone. I do this with every shot, and the trigger breaks almost like glass....no creep.
strum

Post by strum »

congrats on your bow. I set mine up using a led sled and somtimes i shoot it off a bench with a pillow or somthing.but i practice offhand quiet a bit. For me i was awful at best to start but with time i got better ..still no expert but im very comfortable now offhand ..i guess what im saying is practice,practice.thats the key..go to Boo's website for trigger info.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Whopper Stopper

Post by Whopper Stopper »

Boo ? OK I found it. Lots of good reading! Thanks!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo's trigger work is amazing!!! You wont be disappointed. I have a short bi-pod that I attach to the front swivel stud to shoot off a bench. That and a sandbag for the rear make a fine shooting set-up to sight in with.Excaliburs are soooo accurate its really hard to believe sometimes.I have quit questioning it and just enjoy it now.Aint it great to get something that works better than its supposed to!
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Weclome to the forum and congrats on your new toy!!

What has helped me steady my shooting is a good gun strap; I bought the claw strap and tighten the strap by pulling against it with my arm which pulls the crossbow tighter against my shoulder; I also use a shooting stick when able to do so;

The accuracy of your excalibur is the norm; many people on this forum and the other forums never cease to be be amazed by the accuracy of excalibur no matter what model they shoot; I know my phoenix is scary accurate and has never failed me yet; congrats on your purchase and hope you nothing but the best.
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

You certainly can't go wrong with the Primos shooting stick. I love mine!

You can, as xbowholic suggested, use a strap, like you would with a rifle. It really works great as well.

I guess it'll depend from where you'll be shooting from. Ground blind while sitting, while walking and stalking, from a tree stand, etc. Ideally you get to use one tool that works great for any situation, but that's not always possible unfortunately.

One thing I like about the Equinox is the chunky stock it has on it - you can get a good grip on it and pull the stock back on your shoulder, helps in steading your shot a lot, but these things are so darn accurate that I have no doubts whatsoever that you'll be splitting arrows in no time!
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP