Off Centered Serving.... HELP!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

Off Centered Serving.... HELP!!!

Post by Gamikatsu »

ok... just installed a FFF string, set it about 1/2" above top mark to let it stretch in. however... my string's center serving is offcentered... by almost 3/4 of an inch... will this effect anything? i havn't shot it for groups yet, other than just trying to help the string stretch, i shot it a few times into a block a few feet away. I'm assuming this is probably fairly normal, due to it being a handmade string.

any and all help would be appreciated.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
wabi

Re: Off Centered Serving.... HELP!!!

Post by wabi »

It's common for the serving to be slightly off center. 3/4" is a bit more than normal, but the string will still function fine.
wabi
strum

Post by strum »

i probly wouldnt worry about it. i am not an expert but i think it doesnt hurt anything at all..shoot it some and if you feel your not shooting good return it ..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

alright, it just cought me off guard... i'm usually used to things being nicely in line... this was out of the ordinary.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Gamikatsu wrote:alright, it just cought me off guard... i'm usually used to things being nicely in line... this was out of the ordinary.

Do you have kids? :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

sumner4991 wrote:
Gamikatsu wrote:alright, it just cought me off guard... i'm usually used to things being nicely in line... this was out of the ordinary.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

sumner4991 wrote:

Yep...three of them and it's been years since I've come face to face with ordinary!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

i do have kids... but i also have a Winchester model 70 featherweight that i can guarentee you without a doubt, will shoot sub MOA out to 300 + yds, and each and every round in it is Seated and trimmed to less than .001" tolerance, measured by calipers, and less than .25 a grain difference in powder.. getting into archery this year... i demand precision, and perfection... at least as much as i can. When i'm at the archery store, buying arrows, i make them weigh each and every one... getting them as close to each other as i can. i will know more tomorrow, after the FFF string has time to settle overnight. then i will shoot it about 50 shots and see how it settles in, and then chrony it. was pushing 298 FPS with a 430 grain Lumenok brand bolt... Brass insert, 4" vanes. I had the bow shop fletch me 3 more arrows today with blazers... see how they shoot compared to the 4" vanes.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Seated and trimmed to less than .001" tolerance, measured by calipers, and less than .25 a grain difference in powder.. getting into archery this year... i demand precision, and perfection.

Another bench rest fanatic! Great! I bought a $9.95 Lee handloader in .218 Bee once and was $1500 into it in a blink of any eye.

You can't get that precision w/ archery. As for keeping arrow weight to that small of a tolerance, I shot some same arrows w/ 100 gr and 125 gr points benched at 30, the shafts were touching. Cured my anal weight addiction.

YMMV :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Gamikatsu wrote:i do have kids... but i also have a Winchester model 70 featherweight that i can guarentee you without a doubt, will shoot sub MOA out to 300 + yds, and each and every round in it is Seated and trimmed to less than .001" tolerance, measured by calipers, and less than .25 a grain difference in powder.. getting into archery this year... i demand precision, and perfection... at least as much as i can. When i'm at the archery store, buying arrows, i make them weigh each and every one... getting them as close to each other as i can. i will know more tomorrow, after the FFF string has time to settle overnight. then i will shoot it about 50 shots and see how it settles in, and then chrony it. was pushing 298 FPS with a 430 grain Lumenok brand bolt... Brass insert, 4" vanes. I had the bow shop fletch me 3 more arrows today with blazers... see how they shoot compared to the 4" vanes.
Bet they love to see ya come in at the archery store!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I serve my own strings, I keep them exactly centered. But as mentioned, it wont make any difference what-so-ever with the performance once you have it sighted in.
With these bows the odd small issue like yours isn't as important as you may be thinking, the key here is that it must be consistent, even "off center" it will still be consistent.
Like you, I do my measurements with calipers, so we both know that no matter what you are told here you are not going to be happy with that serving. My suggestion is to learn to apply your own, it is inexpensive, easy and rewarding.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Yep . . .with my kids, a normal day is, at best, organized choas and I love it.

I'm also pretty anal about trying to get my arrows exactly the same weight. However, in reality, it really doesn't matter that much because of the distance we shoot.

Like Piper said, getting consistancy is the trick.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen