One limb got a splinter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Newfie

One limb got a splinter

Post by Newfie »

Just started to wipe down my EXOMAX tonight when i saw a 2.25 splinter on the inside of my limb.I sent a e-mail to Excalibur tonight to see what they thought. Anyone out there have had this happen to there ex-bows.Two weeks left to bow season in Ontario-Two Tags TO Fill.
xbowholic

Re: One limb got a splinter

Post by xbowholic »

So sorry to hear about limb; you have NO worries;excal will replace them with no hassle; I highly suggest that anyone buy a set of limbs for their excals, 120.00 from excalibur, so that IF it this does happen you can put on the new set and be back in business in short order; keep us posted
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

xbowholic wrote:So sorry to hear about limb; you have NO worries;excal will replace them with no hassle; I highly suggest that anyone buy a set of limbs for their excals, 120.00 from excalibur, so that IF it this does happen you can put on the new set and be back in business in short order; keep us posted
Why waste $120? Just wait til end of season, they are warrantied.
"Eze 18:21"
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Did you dry fire it by mistake? It happens.

Welcome to the forum.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the splinted limb. You definately want to wait for a replacement before taking it out again, but that sorta goes without saying.

Hope you can get it sorted out in time - it'll be close but doable!

Cheers
B
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
wabi

Post by wabi »

awshucks wrote:Why waste $120? Just wait til end of season, they are warrantied.
I agree!
I had a limb issue and contacted Danny Miller (warranty rep for US). Mailed the old limbs to Danny on Tuesday and had new limbs for the bow on Friday.

I would post pics of the splinter and get opinions on severity (might even include pics in an email to Excalibur).
Many times it's more of a cosmetic issue than a performance affecting (and/or safety) problem. If it's a cosmetic issue, just trim off the splinter, continue hunting, then return the limbs after season ends.

If I were going to purchase another product for "insurance" I'd buy another complete crossbow instead of limbs only. Then all failures (limbs, trigger, rail, stock, sights, etc.) would be covered, and I could easily get my money back in the future. Excaliburs retain value well. :wink:
wabi
Dash

Post by Dash »

Carefully check the colour of the limb underneath the camo splinter, it should be black. Then look at the inside of the splinter . If its white on the inside of the camo splinter, its just the camo. Break it off, sand it smooth, it'll be OK to finish the season. Just keep an eye on it.

But if its black on the inside of the splinter, its limb material and its on way out. Don't use it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Dash wrote:Carefully check the colour of the limb underneath the camo splinter, it should be black. Then look at the inside of the splinter . If its white on the inside of the camo splinter, its just the camo. Break it off, sand it smooth, it'll be OK to finish the season. Just keep an eye on it.

But if its black on the inside of the splinter, its limb material and its on way out. Don't use it.
Thank you Dash!
That's the best explanation I've read yet!
wabi
strum

Post by strum »

I also have had a couple splinters on mine each was on the corner edge of the limbs (one on each limb at different times) i did what dash said broke em off and sanded smooth.
hasnt been an issue and i have shot a slew of arrows since,,
im thinking the way the limbs are made that you could have a lot of them and still retain strength.more times than not its a cosmetic thing..
disclaimer: im no expert.. 8)
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Normous

Post by Normous »

Sand it out. Start light till your satisfied.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Thank you folks for all the input. Excalibur called me first thing today and sent me a e-mail stating that they will replace both of my limbs Free.He said that it is okay to use the bow but just trim off the splinter and sand it down.He told me MR Peter Balfour; when i'am ready send the limbs down to them and they will send me back a new set or just drop by Excalibur and they would do the work; remove and replace the limbs for me - now thats service.Excalibur and friends-Thank You.