son found my rage shot buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

masboy

son found my rage shot buck

Post by masboy »

seen my son last night at where I hunt and he said I found a buck about 150 yds up in the woods across from your stand while hunting and cut the rack off and layed it on your wood pile at home . so when I got home and seen it sure enough it was the one I shot a while back with my rage broadhead that I found the arrow broke off and a few drops of blood at where I found the arrow 50yds away from where I shot it and that's all I could find.I,m not very good at finding anything any more . last year I shot a buck in the field from my stand an could not even find my arrow or blood or dear. My son went the next morning and found my arrow and the deer . I, m about half stupid with this Lyme and don, t have. My balance when walking in the woods so it,s hard for me to get around in the woods without triping and falling let alone find anything. I never seen that buck during the season anymore so now I know why.
Hoss

Re: son found my rage shot buck

Post by Hoss »

sorry you lost the meat bud...glad you got some finality on it..
Last edited by Hoss on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

That sucks but at least you know.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

The damn ticks are so bad this year in PA. I have a buddy with lyme too. However I did find a spray on gun opener that works 100% on them and keeps them off.

Sorry to hear about the deer...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Had lyme last year myself. My balance still isn't what it used to be. At least the fog my head was in has cleared quite a bit, but it still isn't back to the way I was before. That darn stuff will really mess a person up. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself masboy. You just need to do what you can and let the rest go. Hope things get better for you.

Adrian...what kind of spray did you find that works on those deer ticks? I covered myself in Deepwoods Off that has the deet in it, but when I was turkey hunting last spring I still found a couple of those darn little deer ticks climbing on the leg of my coveralls. Scared me bad enough after I found them that I never went out again. No turkey is worth getting that sick again.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Sounds like you need a permanent hunting partner...one that don't have Lyme. I've been tested for it but good so far. Damn ticks. :x Gary
bommer

Post by bommer »

You are right the ticks are bad. I had a friend tell me about a repellant called Sawers , you spray your hunting cloths , pretty much wetting them down and letting them dry for at least four hours and no ticks on me so far.Of course I was told of this product after a trip to th e doctors and antiboics for a month. I found mine at Dicks , my buddy got his on line. Good luck John
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

I have a coworker that swears by the Sawyer's repellant. Got his at bass pro, I'm gonna try it soon. Hate those little blood suckers :evil:
Crispy
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Glad ya'll found the buck. You got any pictures of the rack?

I wasn't familiar with what ya'll were calling the Sawyers stuff, so i looked it up. It's Coulston's Duranon. :wink: The Duranon is some bad stuff on ticks! :twisted: I've used it for years and rarely get a tick. Each year during the summer I volunteer at a Youth Hunter Education Challenge here in KY. Where the thing is held, the ticks are thick!!! :shock: We put that stuff on our clothes and rarely get any on us.

Just on an experiment, we found a tick crawling on the ground, picked it up, and put it on my pant leg (I had my pants sprayed with Duranon). The tick started out crawling but got slower and slower until he finally stopped, deader than a door nail. :wink: :twisted:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
masboy

Post by masboy »

my first deer shot with a rage . thought I made a good shot but I guess not or he would not have went so far.disappointed in only 3 inches of penetration of the rage.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Cool looking rack. What'cha gonna do with it?

Was it the regular Rage heads or the ones for the crossbow? I've thought about trying them but I'm getting mixed feelings on them now..... :?
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
masboy

Post by masboy »

it was a 125 crossbow rage and a lot fatter than the 100gr reg . if I was going too hunt with them I would take the smaller ones. just put them in the loft and the boys take most too there homes too hang up . I have a few sets in my stands too rattle with and cut some up for rattlen horns .
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Lyme disease, if not caught early and treated, can be devestating.

For ticks I bought from Tractor Supply a 32 ounce bottle of Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer in concentrate for $16. It has 13.3 percent permethrin in it. I can mix up almost 6 gallons of tick spray at the .5% level that is in Duranon, Sawyer's and Permanone.

LOTS cheaper.....Cheap enough to spray insides of the blinds... I sprayed inside and out of my turkey blinds and my clothing this last turkey season and never picked the first tick off of me out of 17 days of hunting.

My taxidermist uses the same formula for spraying down critters brought into his shop.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
rayman

Post by rayman »

Woody Williams wrote:For ticks I bought from Tractor Supply a 32 ounce bottle of Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer in concentrate for $16. It has 13.3 percent permethrin in it. I can mix up almost 6 gallons of tick spray at the .5% level that is in Duranon, Sawyer's and Permanone.
I'm going to look for that before next spring. I work in the woods all the time and there are some places I work where it is not uncommon to flip 50 ticks a day off your self. I use permanone, or other permethrin sprays, but it can be hard to find sometimes. I can tell you that these sprays are a type of pesticide and they are not particularly healthy to come into contact with your skin. It is better to do what they say and spray it on your clothes the night before so it will dry. Around here, where there are big ticks, there are usually seed ticks - the tiny ones you can barely see - and redbugs (or chiggers). I wear snake boots and tuck my pants leg into the boots. That helps the most of all. Also use permethrin on boots, pants, and around waist, when the ticks are bad.

Had a tick-borne disease once. Got tested for lyme - negative. Symptoms got worse and went to doctor. She said the the test is very inconclusive - you can through it out the truck window. She also said there are other tick-borne diseases besides lyme, five total, and the treatment is basically the same - a long coarse of doxicyclene. Felt like I had recuring symptoms for many years after. Haven't had it for a few years though, knock on wood.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

"Seed ticks"?

Pound for pound the meanest critter to ever walk the planet Earth.....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]