What time of day?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bullfood

What time of day?

Post by bullfood »

What time of day do you see the most deer activity in the last 3 wks of Dec?
On our cameras we see a lot of deer from 10 to noon and then another active time seems to be from 2 to just before dusk. The last 3 yrs we have taken most of our deer in daylight and only 1 at sunset.
I wonder if things are going to be different this year if the weather continues to stay warm with little or no snow.
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
BBDOWN

Re: What time of day?

Post by BBDOWN »

Well as much as I would like to see some snow not going to come to southwester ontario, The deer here move from first light to about 10 and then from 1 till dusk. I see more evening bucks and the does at first light. But know that I told someone they will be all together at 11 and I won't see a thing :lol: :lol:
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

the time of day you see deer depends alot of how close your stand is to their bedding area. how close are you to their food source.I've seen deer anywhere from 6:30am to noon.I've hunted some stands where you could set your watch by the deer,they arrived almost the same time everyday,but then you throw in the rut & that changes everything.I know your not talking about the rut period but just saying during rut you can see deer all day long.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

My cameras are catching the deer around 7/8 pm and 4/5 am. Only once or twice do I have any during daylight hours. When I'm hunting most of my sightings are in the evening with only a couple morning sightings.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
rayman

Post by rayman »

Seems like in the latter part of season, see deer a lot at the very-very last speck of light and in the late morning or lunch time.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

rayman wrote:Seems like in the latter part of season, see deer a lot at the very-very last speck of light and in the late morning or lunch time.
Yep. :wink:

The doe I shot Saturday came through at 11:30 AM
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
DanO

Post by DanO »

j.krug wrote:My cameras are catching the deer around 7/8 pm and 4/5 am. Only once or twice do I have any during daylight hours. When I'm hunting most of my sightings are in the evening with only a couple morning sightings.
That about sums it up for me too! Unless the winter firms up so they NEED to come to feed they won't move during daylight.
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
TB

Post by TB »

Same as DanO all trail cams 7-8 properties after one and half weeks all pictures at night. Not one daylight picture.
Michael.stogre

Post by Michael.stogre »

In the book Whitetails: a photographic journey
through the seasons
I noted that for December
"Northern trail camera data has shown that peak
daytime deer activity occurs during the final two
hours of daylight. The second greatest period
of daylight activity occurs between 10 a.m. to 1 p.m."
(page 131)

This seems to be verified by many of the observations in this thread.

By the way this book was written by Charles
Alsheimer and published by Krause publications in 2010
bullfood

Post by bullfood »

Thanks for all the info. Seems to confirm our pics of this year. In years of snow we see a lot more daytime movement but no snow so far and activity has slowed in daylight hrs. I did see a very large buck today at 1 pm 100 yds out moving with intent. Head down and scenting. No response to a doe bleat although I know he heard it. I think I'll hunt the afternoon til dark on my next outing.
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
derf

Post by derf »

2 does , 6 pt ,a real nice 8pt about 18'' spread nice tines , all pics at night 6.00pm -11pm and 4am -6am. need some snow to get them to feed in daytime. no daytime pics at all. at least 29 to 35 pics a night, hopefully one will be hungry in the day time. tip of the bruce penninsula.
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

no daytime movement here unless at very last light..trailcam showing from 7pm til 4 in the morn..but our rut starts in mid to late january here in deep south so it should be much better then
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
liketoshoot

Post by liketoshoot »

I have been using this site: http://www.usprimetimes.com/zip.html

The last doe I shot was a couple weeks ago but it was right with the best time slot for the day I went. (I saw eight does from my stand)
I still think late evening is typically a good time though... last evening I saw 2 bucks and in another spot 5 does... In the 6 mile loop I drive around my house.
I really have had more deer sightings using this site's times for my zip code...

It has a really high number on 12/24... In my area it is 11 am to 2pm that day...
Lord willing, and weather permitting, and no honey do stuff, I plan on being in a stand at that time with my pheonix...
shoot more and shoot more often
phil

Post by phil »

My trail cam pics show most activity from 6 pm to 4 am. Very little daytime movement. When we do hunt, most sighting are at very last light.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

There's a nice 8 point showing up on my cam at 1 in the morning once in awhile!! What a tease...he likes to look right at my camera while munch my corn!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads