Kid/Squirrel, #2 pic

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Kid/Squirrel, #2 pic

Post by awshucks »

It was a Kodak moment, no Kodak, sorry. finally got to try out the small game knife I won from Griz.

The kid popped his 1st squirrel yesterday. He used my .357. I keep it loaded w/ [3] CCI bird shot, then [3] 'you shoulda left sooners'.

Shooting snakes is illegal in Ar. 8) He's been gun safe for a few years now and has used this pistol before. We have quite a few copperheads. Shooting snakes is il........well, you get the picture. :mrgreen:

Anyways, he comes in w/ the squirrel in one hand, the S&W in the other [at port arms] asks if I can show him how to clean the critter.

We did. He finally fessed up he had to shoot it twice. I told him while that little shot shell was fine for not shooting snakes, he's do better w/ his .22/20 ga OU in the future.

I'm happy for him, he's been resisting going in the woods, neighbors dogs have been harassing him.

That's stopped.
Last edited by awshucks on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Eze 18:21"
shaftthrower

Re: Kid/Squirrel

Post by shaftthrower »

Thats great! My grandson that I have been taking squirrel hunting for a few years now finally poped his first this year it was also a great moment.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats on the squirrel! I can't blame you for your "not" shooting snakes policy. I have the same policy when it comes to copperheads and rattlers. :oops:

But, I'll go out of my way to save a black snake or a rat snake. :mrgreen:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rayman

Post by rayman »

Coincidence, my son killed his first squirrel yesterday with my 22 mag. Told him we'll have a squirrel feast after we get back from Xmas travels. Doesn't know Santas going to leave a 410 for when we get back.

It is an all-out war around my house against poisonous snakes. Mostly canebreaks, also known as timber rattlers, but not picky on the poisonous ones. Do a lot of work on preserve land, and they are protected in these areas, but
awshucks wrote:.......well, you get the picture.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Tell the boy congrats on the squirrel!!! :D When I was little and I got my first shotgun, I made everything around me live pretty hard. :lol: Nothing was safe from me and the 20 gauge. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to Chris on the joy of nailing a squirrel even tho it was a 2 fer 1 thing. Snakes of the viper kind would do well to avoid me. law or no law who would tell, certainly not a dead snake!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Big congrats to Chris! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats to the young man on gettin his first squirrel!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
ElmerFudd

Post by ElmerFudd »

Contrats to your son for the squirrel harvest. This is a good start for him no matter how many shots it took. Hand gun hunting is the supreme test of skill no matter if it was shot loads or a single projectile.
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
Rage for crossbow 125 grain
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congrats on the squirrel!

I've heard those little shot shells can be deadly on snakes, too. Not suggesting I'd ever test that theory. :roll: :wink: :lol:
wabi
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

Congrads to him on the first squirrel!!!!!!!!!
My grandson also got his first this yr.
It is a time niether one of you will forget.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

i still remember my first squirrel as a kid, i could,nt been happier if it was a deer..congrats young man..bet he never forgets :wink:
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'd gotten fed up w/ the snake screams from old lady and schooled him a LOT on the .357 w/ cop flashlight hold.

He's claimed my 10X14 guest house as his room, it's about 15' from back door. Therein lies a minor problem, the catalpa tree seems to draw unwanted visitors when the worms are there.

So far, he's 'terrorized' 3 copperheads w/ it. I can't hear him shoot. He comes in like Dirty Harry, quite the kick.

I have an old High Standard HDM w/ exposed hammer in .22 LR. He's better than me w/ it, but I'm scared of letting him take it out alone, the damn thing can bite him. His eyes really lit up when he saw the clip of rat shot for it.

The glow faded when I explained it wouldn't cycle w/ them, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats to the young fella on his first squirrel...and with a .357!! :D That's just plain awesome!! He's a lucky young fella for sure and good on ya awshucks for teachin' him to be gun friendly and gun smart!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Don't know who to congratulate first - the boy for his hunting prowess or you for raising him right?

CONGRATS to you both! Sounds like he's got the 'bug'! Am looking forward to reading more of your upcoming adventures together! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.