uncocking difficulty?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mcgyvermark

uncocking difficulty?

Post by mcgyvermark »

Hello to all,

I've been visiting/reading the website and forum for the past 9 months or so, and I would like to say I'm impressed with the quality of the info and camaraderie. It has been very helpful to me thus far. I was into archery as a kid, but got away from it for a few decades (it's scarey how time flies.)

I am a tinkerer by nature and find crossbows intriguing. I will probably be buying an Excalibur in the future, primarily for target work, but I also plan to get back into hunting as well.

A year ago I was given a chance to try a 65# compound vertical bow and I just couldn't quite reach the let off (I'm 5'10 @ 145# with more brains that brawn and the brains are already failing.) So I was a bit nervous about being able to use the rope cocker comfortably. I went to a local chain sports store, and I was surprised that they carried Excalibur and they had an Axiom and Equinox for demo purposes. I was surprised and happy that I could cock both models easily. However, the clerk was unfamiliar with the un-cocking procedure using the rope cocking aid :roll:, and was reluctant to allow me to try :(, so I didn't.

So here's my question. Comparatively speaking how difficult is it to un-cock the bow relative to cocking it? I suspect it is apples and oranges ergonomically, but I think that the friction of the rope around the groove on back of the stock should help keep the run away train under control and provide a degree of braking.

If all I do is target shoot this is not an issue, but if my hunting is anything like my fishing, there will be plenty of trips without firing a shot.

Mark
Exocet
S5
Boo

Re: uncocking difficulty?

Post by Boo »

Assuming your rope is the appropriate length it's far easier to decock than it is to cock.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

I would say its easier to uncock than to cock it.

Its not hard at all, I do it all the time its better than wasting a bolt in the dirt, Excalibur has alot of good videos on their site that show a lot of good info including how to uncock. Just make sure you have a good hold of the Handle when you pull the trigger.I usually pull back on the handle just a bit to relieve some of the tension on the string,not too much just a tad.When you pull the trigger it will make a kind of loud Pop,then you can lower the string real easy.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
Normous

Post by Normous »

ALWAYS remove the arrow first when doing this.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I have no trouble doing it with various models of the xbows. I take a couple of wraps of the cocking rope on my right hand (pull trigger with my left) and let the wraps off as I lower the string. I prefer to wear gloves for that - better control.

I keep thinking that someday I'll pack an old arrow so I can just shoot to uncock, but I haven't remembered to put one in the quiver yet. Just as easy to use the rope!

As Norm said - ALWAYS make sure you remover your arrow before you go to let down the string!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
Not hard at all to uncock. :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
mcgyvermark

Post by mcgyvermark »

Thanks for the replies.

I have indeed watched all the instructional videos and others that depict the uncocking procedure; but it can be hard to judge from a video how much effort is being exerted. The fact that the hand holding the rope doesn't jerk downward when the trigger is pulled just means the person was pulling harder than needed, but it doesn't indicate how hard that actually is. So the comments on how hard/easy it is, are helpful to me even if they are subjective.

I can appreciate the warnings on removing the arrow before uncocking, especially after having read through the posts of crossbow veterans who have made the mistake. Those personal testimonies, as much as anything, impress upon me the fact this not a trivial concern for just the beginner. I can see there is many new safe habits to be developed with with xbows, beyond the safety precautions used with any weapon.

Thanks again for the forum!
Exocet
S5
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

mcgyvermark wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I have indeed watched all the instructional videos and others that depict the uncocking procedure; but it can be hard to judge from a video how much effort is being exerted. The fact that the hand holding the rope doesn't jerk downward when the trigger is pulled just means the person was pulling harder than needed, but it doesn't indicate how hard that actually is. So the comments on how hard/easy it is, are helpful to me even if they are subjective.

I can appreciate the warnings on removing the arrow before uncocking, especially after having read through the posts of crossbow veterans who have made the mistake. Those personal testimonies, as much as anything, impress upon me the fact this not a trivial concern for just the beginner. I can see there is many new safe habits to be developed with with xbows, beyond the safety precautions used with any weapon.

Thanks again for the forum!
it does not take much effort to hold the string with the cocking rope when you pull the trigger you really will be able to hold that string there and let it down slow as you like it is very easy .
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum.

As everyone has mentioned it's very easy to uncock the bow using the rope cocker.

Let us know what bow you decided on when you get it. Good luck! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I think that the friction of the rope around the groove on back of the stock should help keep the run away train under control and provide a degree of braking.
More than you would believe until you actually try it. It took me 6 months to work up the nerve to uncock my Emax, the one handed thingy really worried me.

Piece of cake...........
"Eze 18:21"
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I shoot the equinox a.k.a. the beast :wink: and at 70 yrs. old i have no trouble whatsoever decocking w / rope. :)

papa bear 1 :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
rayman

Post by rayman »

Uncocking is no worse than cocking for sure. Getting the motion down for cocking was worse for me I think. Cocking while in a climber is the worst of all, but still not bad. Haven't tried uncocking while in stand. :)
Michael.stogre

Post by Michael.stogre »

Another tip worth considering is to de-cock with the
claws up. It seems safer to me. What do others
think? I know some have posted on this forum before
about reversing the placement of the claws on the
string. Both ways seemed quite easy to me.

MJS
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Hooks down negates gravity.
"Eze 18:21"
ElmerFudd

Post by ElmerFudd »

I agree with Awshucks, open side down. Learned this in the dark one evening. They can't fall off the string that way. :wink:
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
Rage for crossbow 125 grain