feel so sick

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

feel so sick

Post by xbowrook »

man, what a morning we had yesterday... dad and i headed to the bush xmas eve morning and i thought to myself, i gotta hunt my stand.. haven't hunted it in about 1 1/2 months because our other spot was so hot i've been hunting it with my climber.. so, into the set i go... heard a little noise while dark but not a whole lot, thought i may have made a mistake, BUT I DIDN'T.. man, it was only light for about a half hour and i heard alot of what i thought was squirrels running... looked to my right, saw movement.. a bunch of doe's headed my way... slowly reached for the pheonix but the head of the broadhead bumped the bow holder and made some noise, boom, they all bolted.. i counted 7 or 8, in that area.. discouraged, i sat back down.. not a half hour later, was sitting there watching, the sun came from behind the clouds and lit up the bush... to my left i noticed something shiny, white, it was a rack.. a huge rack!! watched this monster 8 point for a few minutes , he was with a nice little doe but shortly after that they left, i thought... i was glassing the bush trying to find those deer, and i noticed what looked like a deer head looking at me, it was.. that doe and huge buck bedded down about 100 yards from me.. sat for a half hour or so and let out a couple bleats, BAM.. noticed more movement, another huge buck, not the 8 point though, looked from what i could tell is a 10 point with 4 stickers on his right side.. man, i watched him for a while, he came to 48 yards but no closer, sure was a rush to watch him.. all the time though, i kept watching all these other deer walk around, they were everywhere.. i had, for the 2nd time this season, over 15 deer around me.. i was settled on the big buck, waiting for him to come closer, when i heard a deer running closer to me.. noticed a little doe come to 25 yards, but facing me.. few seconds later, saw 5 big doe's come running up to the fawn, i put my crosshairs on one of the biggest doe's and shot.. saw my bolt fly and THWACK, but she didn't jump or nothing.. watched her and she didn't act like she was hit... so i got down in a few minutes ( dad came with the 4 wheeler which i think spooked them off) and i told him i just shot a huge doe but might have missed. found the bolt and noticed some hair on it and a faint bit of blood.. looked on the ground, and a whole bunch of white hair, then blood.. she bled pretty good at first, then after trailing for over an hour, nothing... no blood, no deer... she was headed out to a big open field, a cut bean field, and nothing... makes me sick.. figured i must of hit her low, just under the belly? makes me sick to my gut... again though, i saw between 20 - 30 deer in a 3 hour sit.. just freakin awesome deer numbers this year...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
agingcrossbower

Re: feel so sick

Post by agingcrossbower »

Well, everybody misses and look at all the action your getting. WoW, wish I saw that many in a season what your seeing in a day. Thats Great! Your luck will turn around. Go gettummmmm. :D
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

I know that feeling. By the sound of all the white hair I tend to agree,you just nicked her low.if thats the case she'll be fine.If she made it across a big open field she's probably still running. dont know if you have a range finder,I just got one recently I know I needed it real bad,I'm terrible judging distances when in the tree.I would highly recommend one,I usually check distances to certain trees to get an idea how far certain trees are away from me,I dont try to use it on a deer when they are approaching because I figure I should be getting the bow ready not playing with a rangefinder.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
liketoshoot

Post by liketoshoot »

the usprimetimes website said 12/24 was an excellent day for deer movement...

It was a new moon...

These are times you keep track of for next year when you see several deer and note the moon phase and the weather conditions... and maybe tweak stand locations...

It is times like what you had that stick deep in our memories...

gettum next time....
shoot more and shoot more often
phil

Post by phil »

What an exciting hunt! Yeah, i agree, sounds like a real low hit to me. There was no gut or smell on it was there? Sounds like your spot is very hot! Try and get back there while those bucks are in the area. Good luck to you.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt