Fusion vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Fusion vanes

Post by mchurch »

I have used the 3 inch fusion vanes with good results. Are there any advantages to the 2.1 inch model? Any issues with them being to high of a vane?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Farmer

Re: Fusion vanes

Post by Farmer »

You would have to measure the depth of the channel on the rail . If the vanes are too high, it could cause the string to slip under the back of the arrow . Dry Fire !
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use both, the 2.1 inch is a tad stiffer as its shorter. They're my favorite vanes to use on my arrows. I think the 2.1 is abit taller but shouldn't hit bottom of arrow channel
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
galamb

Post by galamb »

I have just done a whack of personal testing to try and find the best fletch for my set-up. After firing over 3000 bolts fletched with everything from 2" Fusions to 5" die cut feathers I formed a few opinions.

First - at 20 yards or less it doesn't matter at all what I fired. In fact I was getting groups under 1 1/2" with bare shafts - so "for me", at 20 yds or less, the fletch is just for decoration.

Where I did notice significant difference was out at the 30/35 yard range. At that distance the length of fletch made a "significant" difference in stability and impact point.

What I found - arrows with significant FOC (above 17%) ALWAYS flew better and flatter with 4" vanes (NAP Quikspin being the best).

Arrows with normal/low FOC 7-12% also flew better and produced tigher groups with longer fletch.

I tested outside, so there was wind etc to try and mimic real hunting conditions.

I do shoot heavier carbon 20" bolts (419-445 grain including tips), so speed is not my motivating factor - and the short vanes just don't seem to stablize the bolts to my satisfaction beyond 20 yards.

The longer vanes also produced a much flatter trajectory, a definate plus for those "in between" yardages.

If you want to try the 2" vanes, fletch a couple arrows and see how they shoot "for you". They might drive tacks at 20 yds, but try them at 30. And if they fly irratically, then remember that when you are in the field and that big buck steps out at 32 yards.

All the speed in the world won't help if you miss or worse yet, get a gut hit and spend the next half day trying to track it down.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thar be so many varibles as to what will shoot accurately out of yer Model that i don't have time to put it all into posts. Vane & feather lengths can change group sizes. Brace heigth & string dia. size can also. Arrow length does also, as does the way they're fletched on. I have my lifetime experience to reflect on with all the 53 yrs of shooting Bows. When you get to where yer either happy wid the outcome or just wornout its all going to be on you. A person could actually have the best set-up in the World & be a poor shootist :lol: I now just like min of deer or hog or whatever i am killin out to my comfort range. Heck i can shoot a half dz diff BH's of fixed or mech out to 40 yds & kill any game i choose too. The testing n shooting is whats all the fun & enjoyment fer a lifetime.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

It looks like the 2.1 inch fusion vanes have a slightly lower profile than the blazer vanes.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

mchurch wrote:It looks like the 2.1 inch fusion vanes have a slightly lower profile than the blazer vanes.
Be sure to compare current versions of both since Blazer has made some changes.
The Blazers with "Blazer" stamped on them are not as tall as the original Blazers. That said, the 3" Fusion are not as tall as the 2" version of either kind.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!