Lady Hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Lady Hunters

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I was just reading ninepointer's post about QueenBee's season, and was thinking about more of our Lady Hunters. I would like to congratulate all the Lady Hunters. I sure wish my Lady was a hunter, but she likes to fish and camp so I have something I guess.
Thanks,
Raymond
one shot scott

Re: Lady Hunters

Post by one shot scott »

m'lady doesnt care to join me in the woods either Raymond. She has enjoyed picking up the crossbow the odd time, and when given a chance she will try target shooting almost any bow, but she makes it quite clear that she wants nothing to do with taking an animal. I think it would be cool to get her out, the ones who do it seem to enjoy it. We need more women hunters.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I totally agree with having more women hunters. I thought my daughter was going to start hunting. When I was working I had planned on buying her the Pink Vixen II, but it cooled off. Maybe later, her boyfriend is a hunter maybe he can convince her to hunt.
Raymond
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Thanks guys! I hope someday the special women in your lives will join you too.

Many women who enjoy the outdoors never make the transition to hunting. Realistically, in most non-hunting families women probably handle (process, prepare, cook, serve) meat in all forms more then their male counterparts. You'd think they would understand where meat comes from and what has to happen to get it to the table. But women tend to be wired for nurturing - to protect life, rather than take life.

Some things that make it tougher for women to hunt, might make them better hunters too:

Women take longer to gain confidence in their shooting. Although they might naturally be better shooters, they are prone to self-doubt. The fear of making a bad shot over-rides the desire to hunt.

Women often feel the need to know "everything" about a sport before they'll participate. It's never enough knowledge, or time at the range to be "ready" to hunt.

Women's empathy with other living things will help them hold off on questionable shots and wait for one that will give them a good ethical kill opportunity.

You shouldn't "trick" your women into hunting, but here are a few things you can try:

Use every opportunity to get them join you in the woods in a blind or ladderstand. Just get them to experience & enjoy being out.

Get involved in shooting 3D - great practice on some pretty realistic-looking animals. The more shooting the more instinctive the shot will be in a hunting situation.

Play hunting games on your game console or computer. Keep it fun. This one is a good challenge for shot placement:
http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/art ... rgeometry/

If possible get her in contact with a women's organization - something like OFAH's WOW. It's great to develop skills with other like-minded women.

Many women enjoy target shooting. Support that as much as possible. It can progress to enjoying the challenge of hunting.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Still more thoughts from a woman: :lol:

Women will wonder right up to the last nano-second if they will be able to actually take the shot when it presents itself. In 1985 I remember thinking "will I really be able to pull the trigger and end a life?" (After days of chasing deer and sleeping in the cab of a truck in brutally cold temps it was no problem! :evil: ) There's no way that you can overcome that except for letting women have the opportunity at a shot and letting them decide for themselves - do not judge them by their decision. There's always "next time". Trust their judgement and their reasoning - even if you don't understand it. Let them be different from men. :) It's about the hunt, not the killing.

Consider that it's physically more difficult for us to be out hunting:

We often struggle with inferior-fitting and performing clothing.

We have to contend with different plumbing and usually need to go more frequently :roll: Clothing can interfere - (e.g. bibs, harnesses,). Women might feel they'll be belittled for having to "go", teased for how often, be afraid they'll be expected to hold it, or not be able to find privacy. Some don't know how and are embarrassed about it. Address this and be as accommodating and understanding as possible. Give her opportunities.

Women sometimes struggle if it's that wonderful time of month. I know that might be too much information for you guys, but it's a serious consideration for us gals. It's a nuisance and we're not at our best for a few days. We might be shaky, anemic, extra sensitive to cold, aching, more emotional, and need extra time & privacy. Tough to get out and hunt then. Be understanding and supportive. Just because we have an off day or two doesn't mean we'll always be like that! :D

We generally tire easier than you guys.

Most of us feel cold temperatures more than men do.

We need to know everything is going to be ok - no matter how the hunt turns out. We need to know that if we shoot our first animal you'll be there to help us figure things out. You guys might think that that's a given, but we women need to HEAR it. You need to verbally reassure us. We need to know that if we mess up you'll still respect us and offer us another chance. We need to know that if we try it and decide its not for us, you won't judge us. Just like you, we fear failure - physically, and relationally. But unlike you, we need to hear you say it's OK. Often. Tell us the relationship will be OK. We'll be OK. The hunt will be OK. Everything will be OK. :)

Eventually, we'll be OK. We'll be confident and comfortable and call ourselves hunters. We'll enjoy being out with you, and being out alone. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wayne

Post by wayne »

I'am one of the lucky ones who's wife hunts.
Did not start out that way, when we were married over 30 years ago, she liked to fish & camp only, she wanted no part of hunting, (she liked eating deer, but did not want to try hunting). What changed was years ago when our daughter was small, we were all out in the woods picking berries, when our daughter asked me how old she had to be to go hunting with me. Right after that the wife said, she wanted to learn how to hunt, her reasoning was, if I was out hunting with the kids, there was no way she was staying home alone!!!
She started with bowhunting. Took her 2 years to past my test before I would take her bowhunting (got to put an arrow in a 3" circle at 20 yards on the 1st try of the day). Then she wanted to try rifle hunting, started her off with a old Ruger .44 mag semi-auto rifle. After she got a very nice 8 pointer in "96" I could not get her out of the woods if I wanted, she was hooked on hunting & has been ever since.
Today, she using a Excal ibex for bowhunting & a 7mm rem mag for rifle hunting. (Still can't talk her into smoke pole season, she said it's to cold) :lol:
Today, I enjoy hunting with her more then any hunting buddies from my past, (all though I do miss playing cards with the boys under an oil lamp) but thats it...I don't have to hear all that crying in your beer crap anymore. :roll:
She will stay in her blind from before sun up to after sunset (even when not seeing any deer) & not complain & want to do it again the next day (better then some hunting buddies I've hunted with in the past) :wink:
Now there's no one to complain on how much money is spent on hunting :D
On top of that, this last deer season was my 1st ever, where I did not see a buck, she got 2 bucks this year, (her 1st time geting 2 bucks in the same year), & ya know what, I think this was my best season ever!!!!
Now I'am even lucker, our soon to be daughter-in-law started hunting this year also & enjoyed it....I'll be buying her an Excal this spring.

Looking back, on it, I'am not rich (I live paycheck to paycheck) But I think I'am one lucky guy.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I wonder how many ladies stay out of the woods because it is a vacation from the caveman?
How many stay away because chores at home are not shared and they don't want any more from the hunt??
Hunting product companies are just now starting to include women in product lines.
Those that do, send them an email thanking them..............let them know they have a market!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Great posts Vixchik and Wayne, Some of my friends don't want their wives hunting with them because they feel their is their time, I on the other hand love spending time in the woods and camping and fishing with my wife. I starting working with my wife last year with a bow shooting 3d she is shy and don't like to be around a lot of people because of her confidence level. She doesn't have time to practice like I do but she knows I enjoy hunting and shooting and she has been trying to do some of this with me. She loves deer meat but she has problems helping me a deer but thats ok I can deal with that.
This year she actually shot at her first deer during black powder season while I videoed the hunt and she was a nervous wreck when the deer came within range, she forgot all about what I had taught her and she closed her eyes and jerked the trigger and started shaking all over. I was coaching her on the shot but she couldn't keep from shaking all over, she was so excited even though she missed the adrenaline rush for her was awesome. I later bought her a 243 rifle just before rifle season and we went to range and shot about 2 boxes of shells and she was very excited about going back hunting but her work schedule wasn't where she could hardly take any days off during Thanksgiving and Christmas so she wasn't able to get another shot at a deer but she is still excited and I made sure to praise her even after she missed because I told her I still miss occasionally and I have taken over 100 deer in my lifetime and still make get buck fever with a bow at times. I am excited about getting her ready for archery 3D again this year and with my new crossbow I will hopefully have her hunting with it some while I video tape.

I will have to say it is an awesome feeling with your wife kills or first deer or catches a bigger fish than you have. I am so glad that some women love the outdoors as much as men do, it does cost a lot more getting them started but it sure worth it.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

All of you have a great many answers and it was really good to hear from VixChix for a women's perspective for Lady Hunters. I will use these ideas to try and ease her into it. I know she worries about loosing arrows and I have told her don't worry about it. That is just because we haven't got the money to buy new ones now. But I have a few spares and I have told her so. This spring I will use a lot more of VixChix and other peoples solutions and try that. Thanks VixChix and all the rest that have answered and that will give there opinion and experiences. I appreciate your thoughts and experiences very much.
Thank you,
Raymond
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

My awesome wife likes to shoot my crossbow and she's not too bad either. I'm gonna get her one of her own so we can target shoot together.....watch out for her next year at Boostock!! :lol:

She has expressed interst in joining me on a hunt or two but is not interested in actually shooting the animals. She does however enjoy the wild game that I sometimes put on the table.

My middle daughter Diane (20 yrs old) has expressed interest in getting her PAL and hunting license so I have been encouraging her to look into it. All my 3 girls enjoy shooting my long guns and handguns with me. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
gunnutjay

Post by gunnutjay »

Yup! Gotta agree! I also enjoy the fact that my wife likes to hunt! She started after meeting me & while she has been out several times for small game, she really enjoys deer hunting! So far, she's harvested 4 deer and a bear. All with a firearm, but she does have a Vixen & next year the plan is to hunt the early bow season before rifle... Definitely something we are looking forward to!

As for guys looking to get their better half involved... Slow & steady wins the race! Don't take them out & hand them a 12 gauge, that's what turns them away from the sport!

When I met my wife, she had never fired a gun! Now, my wife has several pink guns & I swear, they are the greatest shooting sports ambassador EVER!!! All the ladies that see them want to shoot the PINK guns! What can I say, it's working, GO WITH IT!!!

Cheers
gunnutjay
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I am the same as you Bugs. I only hunt with my crossbow now. I am going to try my hands at small game hunting in the new year if everything goes well enough for me. Maybe with the wife driving me around with my four wheeler, she might just get the bug also, :) :wink: .
Raymond
wabi

Post by wabi »

I wonder how many ladies stay out of the woods because it is a vacation from the caveman?
How many stay away because chores at home are not shared and they don't want any more from the hunt??
I'm sure part one (vacation from caveman) plays a part in my wife's staying home. :roll: :lol: :lol:
wabi
maple

Post by maple »

I think Vix's posts here should be a sticky, so we can all refer to it readily. It contains A LOT of insight into the female mind, an ability which I seem to be lacking sometimes. I must been at the back of the line when that intuitiveness was being given out.

I'm thinking about memorizing it. In point form.

Maple