new digital scale question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lvt01

new digital scale question

Post by lvt01 »

I just bought one of those cheap digital scales off the net to play around with arrow weights. I'm hoping someone can explain this to me. This scale weighs in grams, ounces, carats and grains....I'm guessing that is what gn stands for. Now if I understand this correctly...a Firebolt with a 150 grain field point should weigh around 417 grains. Now what I get on this scale is...98.8 grams, 3.48 ounces, 494 carats or 1525 grains. I've triple checked the calibration on it and it always comes up the same. So...can anyone explain this in simple terms to this old brain of mine? :?

Thanks!
Larry
munch

Re: new digital scale question

Post by munch »

i just put a easton power carbon bolt with a 100grain point on mine and it shows 1.04 oz 456 gr 147ct i bought my scale at harbour freight one day on sale for $9.99 regular $14.99 and works the same as a $60 one i bought it just does not say archery scale on it .if you have one of those stores near you mine is a US balance professional precision pocket scale .just think you may have got a bad one
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
munch

Post by munch »

just had a thought .does the scale have some kind an addition key where you do like a calculator where you go plus 1 plus one 1 its almost like you have the weight of 4 arrows in your post if that makes scene
my scale also says do not operate near electronic devices such as microwave refigerators cellullar phone computer ect. operating scale near such devices can cause false readings and even damage the scale
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Did you get some calibration weights with it to set yer scale ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

it does have number of pieces, but only says 1. I was trying it near the computer, but I don't think that was it either. Maybe just wasted $9.00 on some cheap junk. Wouldn't be the first tme I've been burned. Oh well...I'll keep putzing with it and maybe I can find the cause. Just was wondering if I really was doing something totally wrong. Thanks for your input munch.

Larry
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

vixenmaster wrote:Did you get some calibration weights with it to set yer scale ?

Nope. Was using a piece of lead that weighs 2 ounces. That could be the issue too. Better reread the directions.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Sounds like you may just have bought a dodgy one.
They're usually very accurate. Just make sure you use it on on a flat hard surface, and let it calibrate zero for a few seconds before putting something on it. Most take a few seconds to calibrate zero properly before you can use them.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Larry,
Unfortunately it looks like something is off with the scale.
There are 15.43236 grains in 1 gram.
There are 28.3495 grams in 1 ounce.
Firebolt with 150 grain head should be around 415 grains = 26.90grams = 0.95oz.

You said 3.48oz, which would be 98.66 grams, which is 1522 grains. So it looks like your scale is doing the math right, but the measurement is off.

Make sure to use it on a hard surface and to make sure the arrow is balanced on the scale and not touching anything. It almost seems like the scale got zeroed with something pushing up on it from the bottom. If something was accidentally touching the top, it would report lower weights.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Figured it out. I was calibrating it wrong. (Operator error as usual) I was supposed to hit the calibration button a 2nd time to hold it and I wasn't doing it. Basically it kept going back to what it originally was set for. Now my 150 grain field points are coming up at 151-152 grains. I can live with that. At least it gives me some idea where my arrows are now. Thanks for all the quick input guys!.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

munch wrote:i just put a easton power carbon bolt with a 100grain point on mine and it shows 1.04 oz 456 gr 147ct i bought my scale at harbour freight one day on sale for $9.99 regular $14.99 and works the same as a $60 one i bought it just does not say archery scale on it .if you have one of those stores near you mine is a US balance professional precision pocket scale .just think you may have got a bad one
Are you using brass inserts munch? ..I get 456 also but with 150 gr point
I get 344.2 with brass insert and no point.
munch

Post by munch »

onebigskittle wrote:
munch wrote:i just put a easton power carbon bolt with a 100grain point on mine and it shows 1.04 oz 456 gr 147ct i bought my scale at harbour freight one day on sale for $9.99 regular $14.99 and works the same as a $60 one i bought it just does not say archery scale on it .if you have one of those stores near you mine is a US balance professional precision pocket scale .just think you may have got a bad one
Are you using brass inserts munch? ..I get 456 also but with 150 gr point
I get 344.2 with brass insert and no point.
the arrows i'm shooting are Easton power carbon with both alum inserts
are you shooting fire bolts .no so sure we are doing apples to apples .
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I think these cheapo scales are great for what we are generally doing....but I doubt they are very accurate for an "absolute" weight. But that is generally not of primary concern. What they will show you is how much arrows, points, etc vary between each other (great indicator of good and not so good manufacturers) and will let you build up arrows that match each other. The accuracy they give on absolute numbers is most likely fine as well. You mught be off a few grains on total weight, but that won't affect calculations of KE or Momentum too much.

My 2 cents
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Must not be munch...im shooting easton power bolts with alum inserts also
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I weighed a few of my arrows last night and was really quite surprised in how much variation there are between them. I really am going to start looking into building my own. Heck...I can't do any worse than the store bought ones! :lol:
munch

Post by munch »

onebigskittle wrote:Must not be munch...im shooting easton power bolts with alum inserts also
thought i better check the arrow i did was with a 125 tip blazers 7"wrap lots of glue and 2 -42 grain alum inserts for a total of 456gr.i did turn down some brass on my lathe one time and made some real front heavy inserts .wonder how a 3" long brass insert would make them fly sure could get some foc
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook